Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem: Can eat, but don't want to. Help:-

Hi Everyone:

I am just over 8 weeks out. I had hit a long stall, added treadmill last week, and the scale finally moved again. Been trying to get in 70-80 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of Water or sugar free drinks on a daily basis.

Here lies the problem. I can eat. I just don't have the desire. I read how people miss certain foods or eat a little of foods they love, but that has not been my experience. I can eat regular food now, but it just doesn't taste like I remember it. Also, having such a small portion (2 ounces) satisfies me, but it's not enjoyable, per say. I do it because I have to. Drinking is fine, but I feel so bloated trying to get in all my fluids and the protein, that I really wish I could just eat once or twice a day when I get stomach pains, as oppossed to every few hours, and cut my water in half.

Can I still lose the weight if I cut my food intake and just concentrate on the fluids? I can't even tolerate the Protein Drinks anymore. They feel so heavy.

I love the results of my sleeve, but I feel like I will never like food again. Any reply is appreciated.

Unfortunately you will like food again. Take this precious time to lose as much weight as you can so when weight loss slows and your liking for food comes back you will be close to your goal weight.

I think you're going to have a hard time if you're not getting your Protein in. Even at 8 weeks you need it for continued healing, and for all your various body functions - growing hair and nails, and maintaining muscle.

Can you thin the protein drinks? Or try another type - I got really tired of vanilla and chocolate early on, and liked the nectar brand - fruit flavors, iced tea, etc.

This will pass, I can almost guarantee you! I remember going through a phase where eating didn't seem worth the bother. It was already an effort to get in all my liquids, and I'd have to stop sipping to get in 2 tablespoons of food - it seemed absurd. But it was a very short phase. If it persists or gets worse, you probably ought to talk to your medical team to make sure you're not developing a stricture. And your taste buds will come around too. Hang in there!

going through the whole not wanting to eat thing... I could live on Water, tea and crystal lite... but I know I gotta get the Protein in...so I eat... I was so grateful to be chewing again... but seriously, its all quite tasteless...

Following because I am with you 4 weeks out

Oh, I was there. I was where you are. I was MAYOR of that place.

For many weeks, there was zero desire to eat. From sun-up until about 4pm, I didn't want to eat a thing. This went on for a long time. Around 4pm the hunger would peek its head, but it wasn't a monster hunger.

I asked myself (and the message board, and the doctors), "HOW can I get these Protein goals if I just don't feel like eating?"

The answer: patience. It will change. I sympathize, and it will get better.

I was a bit behind you when I felt that way but it did hit me as well. It was harder when I was trying to get in five meals a day (per docs orders). I felt like my life revolved around getting in my meals or my fluids and I didn't have time to concentrate on anything else. It was frustrating. My doc finally agreed to let me go to four meals a day and that helped. I wasn't trying to cram so much into my day and felt a bit more in control. Maybe that would help?

In the same boat as you, barely eat even over 3 months out. I've lost a ton of weight and feel great. I know the ability to eat will come back eventually so I hope to lose as much as I can before it happens. Enjoy this time and try to make good choices when you do eat so its easier when that hunger does return.

I am 3 months out and still feel that way! I don't like to eat, I would rather drink my meals.

I force feed myself a lean cuisine every few days just for flavor. And even then I only eat the meat from it!

You are not alone!

Thank you for all your responses. It is so good to know I am not crazy or alone in this. Those of you who survived this

"phase" inspire me to keep following the plan, difficult as it is. I guess I'd rather not want food, than crave a bunch of food that isn't good for me! I'm going to hang in there.

Thank you for all your responses. It is so good to know I am not crazy or alone in this. Those of you who survived this

"phase" inspire me to keep following the plan' date=' difficult as it is. I guess I'd rather not want food, than crave a bunch of food that isn't good for me! I'm going to hang in there.[/quote']

You know, one thing I forgot to add. Like I said...I've been there :) But...After a period of a few weeks of really being bad about my fluids and Protein, my weight loss pretty much stopped. I think in the last two months I've maybe lost five pounds where as before I was losing much faster when I was focused. So a couple of weeks ago I started to focus again, and oddly enough :) I've been losing weight again. Two pounds in the last two weeks (which is good for me given I was seeing .1lb in two weeks prior). So there is a reason to focus...even if it sucks LOL I'm choking down some cottage cheese as we speak!

For me at 3 months, sometimes the figuring of what I can eat enough of -- cue words 'enough of -- something that's delicious yet won't make me burp for the next 3 hours, is too much work so I'll eat a yogurt or cottage cheese (easy on my stomach plus low cal and high protein). If I knew Pre-op that I'ld be eating that for dinner, I would have said "you're nuts! I'm not having that surgery!" but to not have the hunger.. That's where the 'magic part' comes in! Like I told a coworker today who said I looked great, "Anyone can lose weight on 600 calories a day. It's not magic! The magic is in the not being hungry part!"

I like the magic part. I too would rather drink the Protein Shakes I stead I'd feeling the way I do after I eat. Gotta learn to slow down and also how much I should eat. A little bit goes a long way.