Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaked myself out...

So last night I got some small bowls for post op life. I had a few gut check realizations.

1) that tiny bowl will be my portion for the rest of my life.

2) this is really happening.

3) I am so freaked out about pain after surgery. I had a breast reduction when I was 17, and I woke myself up screaming in pain. I was begging for pain meds, but they didn't give me anything until I was out of recovery and in my room. Was given morphine and had a horrible reaction to it. Vomiting and dizzy and miserable. Ever since then I have been terrified of having surgery. I had to have knee surgery a few years ago and I was a mess for the few weeks leading up... I just don't want that kind of pain ever again...... So yeah, now I'm freaked out about pain.

i have to be honest i am scared about the pain also, however i spoke with a few people that had the surgery and they said it is like gallbladder surgery. I had my gallbladder and was up and walking four hours later. they only thing that hurt was my throat and my stomach was sore at the cuts. So i am hoping people are correct

It does hurt to over eat but its not unbearable just uncomfortable you will learn quickly not to do it and you wont need to cause it will take a lot less to satisfy you.

Hopefully everything will go well and you won't react to morphine that badly again. Everyone is different but I was telling jokes to the nurses in the recovery room. My family asked me how I was doing as they wheeled me into my regular room, "Miserable but happy!" was my drugged up response which they thought was hilarious. They have been saying that to me ever since. I am praying that it goes well for you.

As for the bowl size, I recently watched The Incredible Shrinking Man on the old movie channel. He was fighting a spider for a small crumb of bread that he would have brushed off on the floor back before his change. Smaller portions for a smaller you. I was floored after surgery by how little I could eat and still feel great.

I love eating small portions........

I will continue to eat small portions for the rest of my life to maintain my healthy body. Don't want diabeteses to return. LOL

Talk with your surgeon about your past experience and ask them to make sure they give you some medicine to control nauseousness. The surgeon's are quite understanding and don't want you to have pain. I loved my morphine button and pushed it every chance I could. Talking with my surgeon, I had a big smile on my face! :) Try not to worry so much, it will work out fine, not that much pain actually. :)

It really wasn't that painful. I've had 10 surgeries, and it was #9 on the list of discomfort, with total knee replacement in #1 and tubal ligation at #10. You'll be fine. Just remember, pain is temporary.

i have to be honest i am scared about the pain also, however i spoke with a few people that had the surgery and they said it is like gallbladder surgery. I had my gallbladder and was up and walking four hours later. they only thing that hurt was my throat and my stomach was sore at the cuts. So i am hoping people are correct

I had my gall bladder taken out just weeks before my sleeve surgery. Yes, it was very similar.

To be totally honest, the pain was minimal. Seriously, I was shocked by how little pain there was. I expected much worse. I did not take anything when I went home, not even Tylenol. I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable trying to sleep on my side and having annoying gas pain. But, I have had period cramps so much worse. One thing that I did have an issue with was the narcotic in the hospital and this is something that has occured in the past for me. I was very itchy and so had to stop taking it, which was fine by me because I hate how that stuff makes me feel. Good luck and don't worry so much that you forget to prepare for post-op. Spend your mental time preparing and making sure you have all the food/supplements/protein that you need. I wish I had made sure I had a Protein Shake I knew I could stomach before the surgery.

I know the Isopure I can do. Going to look at the unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to add to sf drinks and the Unjury chicken.

The pain is really what gets me. My surgery was 12 years ago. And I still have nightmares about the pain. I'll have to let then know no morphine and my fear of pain. But hearing your comments has helped relax me some.

Though after my knee surgery I was chewing on the breathing tube. More like gnawing. And I was hitting on all the male nurses... Guess I'm a flirt all doped up.

How small of bowls i need a picture i need to go shopping for some this weekend.

i have to be honest i am scared about the pain also' date=' however i spoke with a few people that had the surgery and they said it is like gallbladder surgery. I had my gallbladder and was up and walking four hours later. they only thing that hurt was my throat and my stomach was sore at the cuts. So i am hoping people are correct[/quote']

I had surgery jan 7 and I stop taking pain meds while in the hospital. The worst was the gas pain that I still have.Its more of a discomfort.

I have not had my sleeve surgery yet, however I have had a number of other surgeries (I also had breast reduction surgery 16 years ago when I was 20) and it will not be as bad as that. Breast reduction is cutting into major tissue/muscle. The worst thing about Laporscopic procedures is the gas pain and even that isn't horrible. (I've had 3 laporscopic procedures)

The breast reduction surgery was my first surgery and first real experience with anesthesia (except for wisdom teeth removal which was a much shorter procedure than the 3-4 hour breast reduction). I, too, had a horrible reaction waking up in immense pain and then had horrible issues with nausea. I don't really remember anything from that first day other than crying, dry heaves/vomiting, and PAIN!

After having many other surgeries I already expect that this won't be anything like that-even my c-section wasn't nearly as bad as that! It's hard not to worry and everyone handles surgery different, but try not to stress over it too much! Good luck-you'll do just fine! :)

I also remembering recuperating after breast reduction that first week was HELL! I couldn't even lift my arms until a week out! If you got through that this will be smooth sailing!!

The pain immediately post op isn't too bad. I mainly had problems getting in and out of bed. When I got home, I slept in a chair for a couple of nights. My surgeon actually inserted a lead into my abdomen that delivered constant pain meds that I took out the third day day. He also prescribed a anti-nausea patch that I put on the night before surgery. Check with your doctor to see if he does the same. Really, the worst pain for me came a few weeks after surgery. As you get more mobile, you'll feel pulling where they stitched up your ab muscles. That clears up once they dissolve.

Just make sure your surgeon knows you had a bad reaction to morphine. You'll do great!

How small of bowls i need a picture i need to go shopping for some this weekend.

I just got the 2oz custard for right after. Then I got 4oz prep bowls with lids for further out. They have them as a set of 8 of the small bowls and a set of 4 of the prep bowls at target.