Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I ever going to be normal?

I have been overweight all my life. I have been the one people stared at and whispered about behind my back. I am almost always been the biggest person in the room. I am the person that doesn't go out much because I am afraid I won't fit in the chair, booth etc. I am the person that hides from the world. I DON'T want to be that person anymore. As my surgery gets closer and closer, I am starting to worry that I won't be normal after surgery. Will I be condemned to eating bland chicken, Protein Shakes and sf Jello for the rest of my life. Will everything I eat make me sick? Will I be able to eat at restuarants now that I can fit in the booth? I want to be normal or at least what most people consider normal. I know I am just probably freaking out because me surgery is less than 2 weeks away. Can anyone give me some reasurrances?

There is a healing period and an adjustment time, it varies from person to person but most people are eatting normal by a year out. You won't take in as much but you will be eatting pretty normal.

I totally relate....I don't even have a date but I am afraid of having to think about food and pain for the rest of my life etc... all the time. Thanks for being so honest - that's what this forum is for. I can't speak from experience but I understand how you feel in different ways. Being the big Mom at school is not fun.

I hope this journey will be a great transition into a new life for you. (hugs)

I am feeling the exact same way! My surgery won't be until May-June. But I wonder the same thing... Once I'm not hiding from the world will I be able to go out and Celebrate and have lunch or dinner with friends without looking weird for eating such a small amount. And will foods other than Protein Shakes and Jello make me sick? I sure hope not. But even so I think it will be so worth it.

Everyone's experience is different but I have had no problems eating anything that I choose. I have had no foods that affect me in a bad way except hard boiled eggs and that is just because they are too dry and feel like they are stuck. I just avoid them, no big deal. I eat out and I fit in the booth! Don't be surprised the first few times you go out to eat (or first several times depending on how much you eat out, I do rarely) if your server asks you if there was something wrong with your meal. I just smiled and said it was fine/good/fantastic and asked for a take home box. You will be "normal"...whatever that is. This surgery doesn't set us apart. We still eat just like "normal" people, just not as much. You will not regret this!!

The first week is a little gnarly but it gets easier each and every day. I only got sick one time and that is because I took my Vitamins too quickly because they taste horrible and wanted to get it over and done with - lesson learned. You can absolutely go out and eat! i went out with my family over the holidays and had Soups, etc. You will just eat differently. You will be able to eat normal foods but will be making better choices. I'm not that far in (sleeved 12/18), already hit a stall and just came out of it, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I'm learning about eating all over again. Do people think it is slightly strange that I'm only ordering soup...maybe... but I could care less. I actually get to enjoy people when I gout to eat because I am not so focused on food but on what is going on around me. It's wonderful. You will feel like a new person. My energy level is so much higher, my hair and skin look so much better because I'm having a more healthy diet. Trust me, it is worth it. Stay positive and focused on the end goal - a healthier you!

I'm moving into my 14th week and I eat out all of the time. I eat anything I want. I make good food choices most of the time, so I don't worry if I have a cookie every once in a while, or I put a little butter on my sweet potato when I have one.

But even with that said, I get in around 500-600 calories a day. The amount of food I can eat is so small that I really can't eat more and I really don't want to.

surgery is less than 2 weeks away.

Lisa22465

freaking about WLS is common. most all of us get nervous before surgery

you will not be committed to a life of bland food - i.e. chicken

you will not be condemned to a world of Protein shakes and Jello - promise

you will gradually eat all foods, spicey et al - just very very small portions. but remember your tummy is now very small too, so it won't take much to satisfy your and tummy, you will be/feel full

chicken and fish, esp. are high in Protein - which is always specified - but all other foods - Soup to nuts are accepted!!! key word is moderation

eating at a restaurant - fitting comfortably in booth - is terrific

get a take out container at beginning of meal - put most of food away - leave proper portion on your plate-you will probably have food at home 2-3 servings

hmmm - per Webster - normal -???? usual/natural/average

were you normal before??

i was never "normal" :o :lol:

i.e. couldn't fit in booths, walk up flights of stairs, ride a rollercoaster, do a 5K, play the violin. now that i've lost 100 lbs

i can do all the above now (still can't play violin :o :lol:)

you will love your new, healthier, happier life

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

I'm 9 months out and very much normal....I eat out less of it of course. Yes you will be normal soon.

I'm about 7 weeks out and I do have a problem with eating soft foods still. It is getting a little better each day. It seems that since surgery, we have eaten out way more than usual. We had to go to CA for a funeral, then I've been down with kidney stones, then vacation, so we've been frequenting restaurants. My mom or husband will order their food (something that I would enjoy too) and I ask the server for a small plate and take a few pieces from them and I'm good to go. I have noticed though that I get queasy watching others eat and smelling their food, but now it isn't quite as bad. We went to my favorite BBQ restaurant and the smokey meat smell made me sick! Since surgery on 11/12, I'm down 58 pounds (including preop diet 10/31 losing 17 pounds). I'm looking forward to sitting at a dinner table and eat a generous 6 ounce portion of food so I'm not the first person done eating since I only eat about an ounce of food. I don't want to be normal because my normal ballooned me to 327 pounds!!!!

I am surprise how small y'all eat. I was doing around 600-700 and my surgeon said to up it to about 1000 when I hit a two week stalk. I eat every three hours. I focus on Protein and fluids when not eating. I am eating 1/2 cup to a cup at one time. I don't feel so obviously different when eating but maybe to others I am.

Btw the upping the calories knock me out of the stall!

How does upping calories help to get out of a stall?

My surgeon said the body has a set point where it feels it needs to hold on to everything at that point. He said increasing calories may signal the body it is not starving and does not need to hold every calorie.

Get 1000 calories means more healthier foods not junk. When he reviewed my food journal he told me the fats and carbs are not suppose to be extremely low just low. I was keeping my carbs 20 to 30 a day. I was mostly eating only lean Protein.

I have been trying to eat a more balanced plate including healthy starches. When he said "healthy starches" I was like what? I was a diabetic for years so I am use to all starches are bad Lol!

The thing abut the eating plan for each of us is so different. Maybe you guys are losing at 600-700 calories but I wasn't and when I work hard at get 1000 healthy calories in I started losing.

I have been overweight all my life. I have been the one people stared at and whispered about behind my back. I am almost always been the biggest person in the room. I am the person that doesn't go out much because I am afraid I won't fit in the chair' date=' booth etc. I am the person that hides from the world. I DON'T want to be that person anymore. As my surgery gets closer and closer, I am starting to worry that I won't be normal after surgery. Will I be condemned to eating bland chicken, Protein Shakes and sf Jello for the rest of my life. Will everything I eat make me sick? Will I be able to eat at restuarants now that I can fit in the booth? I want to be normal or at least what most people consider normal. I know I am just probably freaking out because me surgery is less than 2 weeks away. Can anyone give me some reasurrances?

You have no idea how much I relate to the way u feel. I hide from the world too. But I see this surgery as my way of stepping back into the world and living my life instead of hiding within myself. You are so lucky because u r so close to ur surgery and the beginning of the rest of ur life. Dont focus on the negativr instead focus on what ur new life will feel like in ut new skin. Something that is worth having is worth fighting for:)....this is what I tell myself everyday when this surgery process gets to be too much and now I will pass it on to u. You can do this and it will be great for u:) Good luck!