Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ sleevers please help

Now almost 2 years out. Maintaining my 5 pound leeway I gave myself. Still track my food on myfitnesspal.com daily. A couple of weeks ago, we hiked the Red Trail at Bushkill Falls, PA in the Poconos. 1267 steps and took us 2 and 1/2 hours. I wouldn't have been able to do that before my surgery. I had total knee replacement the year before my sleeve surgery, and am on no pain meds!! 67 years old now and proud to be part of this forum of awesome people. I may not post often as we are downsizing to a condo and will be moving soon. Still in the same area though.

silly but the thing I am hoping to be able to do after I lose my weight is to squat down to the floor; the way you might do when talking to a small child to get down to their level. I have not been able to do that in many years. At one point I was down to the low 200's (I'm 5'10"), going to the gym regularly and even started to be able to run but still could not squat. Something very small will make me very happy. I think it's a balance thing or more how my weight is distributed in my case.

Edited by Alfie

I'll be 62 this month. I can't even believe I am 62.

I've been sleeved over 5 years now, and had the lap bad before that for 2 years. It's been a long time ago when I was fat. I am so glad to have lived the last 8 years at a normal weight.

I'll be 62 this month. I can't even believe I am 62.

I've been sleeved over 5 years now, and had the lap bad before that for 2 years. It's been a long time ago when I was fat. I am so glad to have lived the last 8 years at a normal weight.

Hi thats great. Did you lose a lot with the band too? I lost 80 but put back 40.

This thread is so awesome! I love hearing about successes of people my age (63). I am scheduled to have surgery in Mexico in November. My precious husband is very supportive and will be with me. It is so exciting to hear about those of you who are off insulin and BP meds and are feeling more energy. Keep the inspiration coming. Thanks so much.

You are all such inspirations. I am struggling with this decision. It makes so much sense given my weight.

My question to you, especially those of you who have been way overweight for a very long time, is did you have any concerns about body image after weight loss? What I mean is, were you ever or are you now concerned about who you will be when you are thinner? I know this probably sounds crazy, but I am afraid I won't like myself. I have always been obese and morbidly obese. I don't know what it will look like to lose a lot of weight.

I was morbidly obese as well. Almost 3 tears out now, still below goal weight, and can report absolutely no negative feelings whatsoever about my body image. I feel like I have returned to the real me after a long separation. If you have always been obese, get ready to discover a new you...a freed one. New abilities and options are coming your way. The annoying inconveniences of clothing restrictions and social adjustments drop off.

I suggest developing your interests and hobbies, you will have time and energy to peruse them.

Obesity has no positives. Living life is much easier without it.

I did lose most of my weight with the band, but starting putting it back on when I needed a revision. I probably put 20 back on which I lost on the post op sleeve diet, plus 15 more.

I am almost five months out and have a tremendous amount of energy that I haven't had for 27+ years. I have been going to the pool and doing Water aerobics four times a week for an hour at a time, plus walking a mile a day. I feel terrific at 65 going on 66 next month!! The sleeve surgery was the best decision I ever made after marrying my husband and greatest supporter.

This looks like the place for me. It's good to read all your posts and parts of most of them apply to me. I was sleeved on Sept 29 for health reasons. Already meds have been cut and weight is coming off. Keep posting please, it helps to read them even if I don't comment.

Honestly, I can't believe all the compliments I get when I go out. I love to dance. I take ballroom dance classes, and I just shake my booty free style when I go out with my friends.

Right now I have 2 different men driving me crazy wanting to go out. I am not trying to brag here. Sleeve surgery has changed my life 200% or 1,000 %! I keep telling both of these guys that I don't want to be in a relationship right now.

Try sit and be fit, it's on pbs, great workout for any age any weight. I'm 60, bad feet, walking is impossible. Also chair yoga, Google for lots of choices. I'm doing the sleeve end of December. Excited to have a tool that will help me get healthy.

I had my surgery July 15th. I never took pain meds after leaving the hospital and am embarrassed to say I havn't begun exercising. As of today, I've lost 70 pounds. I may be able to avoid knee surgery and am off cpap and only take 2 meds. Sometimes I miss being able to pig out...but I feel so much better. Bought my first new outfit last weekend and found myself between departments...lol. most plus sizes are too big and most regular 18s are too small. What a wonderful problem for a former size 26 to have! I'm not hungry and my biggest problem is getting in enough protien and Water. When I don't, I stall. I am experiencing Hair loss from not taking in enough Protein, but would gladly wear a wig the rest of my life, to feel this good! Remember your body cannot process the amino acids in protein without some fat in your diet. I've added some coconut oil to my diet in hopes of reducing hair loss. Another thing to remember: the day you had your surgery you were reborn. You are a baby. Don't expect to eat what the grownups eat. Give your body a break and take it slow.

I have a stall. I do not think I am getting enough Protein. Could that be the reason for the stall. I work out at the gym 4 days a week and I walk and ride my bike the remainder of the time. Input from everyone would be great for mr

Find another surgeon immediately! I am 63 yrs and have just had my first appointment with my surgeon. He is so supportive! I have thought about this surgery for about two years and I am finally going to take the plunge. My concern was that I was being foolish at my age. Dr. Soans quickly changed that idea! This the beginning of a five year relationship with my surgeon and with the surgery, he expects to see me into my 80s! I just wanted to see my youngest child graduate college, now, I may become a cougar!

Your surgeon is wrong. Your doctor and his team should walk this road with you, not discourage you.

My BMI is 51! My doctor wants me to fast track my surgery for health reasons; I am going to keep an open mind, but we are already discussing what he wants and what I want. lol I am looking forward to a friendship with this doctor - I think he may be up for the challenge!

Don't hesitate, find another surgeon. Good luck!