Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IS IT TRUE AFTER 6 MONTHS

Is it true after 6 months you don't continue to loose the weight like you first did?

I'm just 6 months out and have lost 80lbs and loving it, once was 318lbs... Now down to 238lbs! My goal is 140 so that means I have 98 more to loose!

Do any of the veteran sleevers know if this is going to stop? I had a month and half stall and just with in the last 2 weeks dropped 10lbs!

Scared to death, well maybe not death but nervous it isn't going to happen:)

From the graph my surgeon showed me of his own patient trends the weight loss def slows down at 6 months but also shows a decline of up to 2 years with a slight increase of weight at the end. His advice was to make the most of the first 6 months :)

I think it all depends on how much you have to lose, and how you stick to the new healthy life style change! If you eat a ton of junk and carbs yes it will slow, it also slows the closer you are to goal.

The problem with the graphs they show us is that around 6 months people get tired of eating strictly healthy and they start adding the crap back in and sometimes over do it, so as long as you are aware of what you put in your mouth, and that it can affect you then you should be fine!

My experience is, ABSOLUTLY.

Most people lose 1/2 of what they are going to in the first 6 months then 1/4 over the 2nd 6 months then 1/4 over the 2nd year.

Keep in mind that is just a rule of thumb. Your personal choices & habits will have a bigger effect on your journey than anything else.

Yes. I'm 9 months post op and right about six months out I was able to eat more. I've also noticed a lot of it has to do with my food choices. If I focus my diet on Proteins I can easily go back to 800 calories a day as opposed to the 1200 calories I'm able to consume now.

I've got about 60 more pounds to go, so I started eliminating a lot Of the high calorie carbs that were sneaking their way back into my diet.

My experience is, ABSOLUTLY.

Most people lose 1/2 of what they are going to in the first 6 months then 1/4 over the 2nd 6 months then 1/4 over the 2nd year.

Keep in mind that is just a rule of thumb. Your personal choices & habits will have a bigger effect on your journey than anything else.

I am 6 months out - and I only want to lose about 30 more pounds...so hopefully I am just above the curve!! :) 8 pounds a month for the last 2 months - and I am fine with that! My skin is tightening up, and I believe my body has adjusted to my new life. While I LOVED the big drops early on, I always knew it would not stay like that. This next 30 pounds will be harder than the first 100 for sure :)

Good luck!!

Depends on the person. My bestie is about 11 months out and still losing.Not RAPIDLY like in the first few months but it's tricking down to about 8lbs a month.

I lost 60 lbs. in the first three months, but now it has slowed down. I'm still losing, but much slower. Now that I can eat regular foods, and not only liquids/protein shakes, I believe my body is just adjusting. Just keep making good choices, and it will come off. I don't mind slow, as long as I keep dropping! :)

The program binder my surgeon gave me says up to 18 months of loss.

There are probably a ton of factors that play in to this, many of which are personal choices and behavioral adjustments.

At slightly over 3 months out I've dropped 1/2 of my weight, which has had a roller coaster pattern.I don't have perfect plan fidelity and need to get myself back on track while the irons are hot. The holidays could be used as an excuse, or the weather, or probably any other number of rationales, My exercise habits have gotten really sloppy and I know I'm not getting in appropriate Protein since I am no longer on shakes.

ShannonK has a good point about skin tightening up. There are so many things going on with your body during this time and we really do have some extreme expectations of it. Our metabolism is adjusting, our skin is adapting, our hair is in crisis, etc.

Those of us who are in the range of 6 months may not want to hear about things slowing down, think about simply sustaining life. Of course you need fewer calories the closer you get to goal, and the slower your loss, but your body wants to survive and if it keeps up that fast loss momentum you would be in the hospital for too much weight loss! (There are some realllly scary anorexia nervosa videos on Youtube).

Yup, just like many of the above stated. I lost most of my weight within the first six months. Definitely take advantage of this time. After the six month mark ur stomach can hold more food. It seems like I could eat more dense Protein than I could earlier. The weight loss also started crawling when I got within 15 pounds or so to goal.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

If you keep your food intake just as low as in the first few months then you will continue to lose just not as quickly. The problem is around the 6 month mark most of us can eat more so the weightloss slows. You can do it. It will just take more work and discipline than the first 6 months. :)

There is nothing biologically to stop any of us from continuing to lose as long as we want to, but it certainly will get harder. As you get lighter, you basal metabolic rate will slow down, meaning you burn less calories per day. At the same time, your ability to eat increases. Those 2 things acting together will certainly stop weight loss in its tracks. When that happens, smart food choices and exercise will be the thing that saves you and keeps the fat fires burning. At 8 months I'm still losing 10 pounds a month. I can live with that. It's not as good as the 40 I lost in the first month, but that was to be expected.

Thank you so much guys, I still remain disciplined in my eating habits, I always eat my Protein first and getting in my fluids! And I will be exercising my little butt off!

Your right I just wanted to know if this is really it but for me I know I'm going to make sure I get to wear I want to be by choosing my new new tool and and doing what it takes to get there!

I know I can get to goal, and I'm going to do it, I just wanted some advice and stats on it and everyone's opinions;) thank you, to you all I love coming on and knowing you guys have wonderful things to say!

After 6 months do you start to feel hunger or can you just eat more? I'm wondering for the future what to expect after 6 months post op.

There is nothing biologically to stop any of us from continuing to lose as long as we want to, but it certainly will get harder. As you get lighter, you basal metabolic rate will slow down, meaning you burn less calories per day. At the same time, your ability to eat increases. Those 2 things acting together will certainly stop weight loss in its tracks.

Yes - this is absolutely correct. Also, keep in mind that there is no "magic window of ideal loss" like with the RNY. Your sleeve is your sleeve and the size it is around one year out is about as large as it will get. What I eat at more than two years out is only slightly more than I ate at one year out, and it's still a fraction of what I ate prior to surgery.

I'm saying this to prevent you and others from panicking needlessly because they haven't reached goal before one year. There is no rule about how quickly you need to reach goal and your ability to lose continues for the rest of your life. Even people that experience regains could rather easily go back to basics and lose weight again several years post op. I reached goal in seventeen months, at a pace of just over six pounds a month (with two nine week stalls for good measure) and found that yes, it took more time to shed pounds the closer I got to goal weight (6 months to drop the last 20 pounds) but it wasn't any more difficult than losing weight in the beginning. I simply kept up the same healthy diet plan and eventually got to my goal.

Good luck,

~Cheri