Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here, you've GOT to read this!

Frank! So happy for you!

Happy Happy New Year!!!!

Let me tell you a sad story. A few days ago, about 7 days post op, my wife asked me if I would do it all over again. I told her no. She asked why? "You have had such an ideal experience." I said "yeah, I was VERY LUCKY." There are tons of people that have complications based on what I saw on the sleeve site. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have taken such a big risk, after all, we have a three year old son. I also WOULD NOT recommend this surgery I told her. I couldn't live with myself if I advised someone to go through this and something bad happened to them. That is SERIOUSLY what I thought.

As far as this goes, I will say this. I like these forums, but I am far more active on the gastricsleeve.com forums, and if you would like to see A LOT of happy people with great success stories, pop on over there too! I am "Texas Girl" over there. smile.gif

You WILL Amy, you WILL! I am very excited for you and the others that are newly sleeved and those that will be sleeved coming up!

I have one other bit of wisdom that I received many years ago from a co-worker. I worked with this guy who spent 7 years in the federal penitentiary (Don't ask. I promise I worked in a legit good field! :) He was in SUPER good shape, but told me when he was inside he was very heavy. (I would have never believed it by how he looked, this guy was kind of over the top, did 1000 push ups every night before bed, etc.) The one thing he would always tell me is that eating is the best example of instant gratification. You eat that pizza or steak dinner and are feeling great while you're eating, and for a short time afterwards, but you have to LIVE with that fat body and bad health. He told me that he avoided that food and the gratification came and stayed with the fact that he had a great body and good health all the time. Kind of a strange guy, but a GREAT concept if you really think about it!

I have had a pretty much perfect experience, which really does color the lens through which I view this surgery. However, I also know that there are a lot of dangers. My surgeon scared me to death about post-op non-compliance.

Because I had such a good experience I also don't get the great predominance of fussing that goes on about a lot of things and the long leave times people take from work. My surgeon told me to get back to life immediately after the hospital. I was back at work almost immediately. I didn't like eating/drinking a few things, I got depressed for several days, I was sore, I felt hunger but didn't do a lot of fussing about it. My attitude and experience was 100% up to me (of course barring any medical complications which never took place).

I have also done a lot of things that I probably should not have and had no (or minimal) consequences. I've shared some in the forums if I thought that someone might benefit, others I've kept to myself because I really didn't need or want opinions or feedback on them. But for the first four weeks I was almost golden with my plan barring some contraband crackers and frozen yogurt.

At 13 weeks I'm 1/2 way to my goal of a 101 lb weight loss even though I don't always exercise like I should, I drink wine a few nights a week, if I want some chocolate I eat it, I eat out all of the time, I no longer count carbs, I skip meals. All of this probably sounds very bad and I'm not saying anyone should do these things. What I am VERY happy about is that vsg is working great for my lifestyle and I truly believe that it is sustainable for the long term because MOST of the time I make very good food choices. I feel great and look so much better. I'm really looking forward to a summer when I am not miserable, fat and sweaty, I'm looking forward to running a 5k, I'm looking forward to feeling even better in my own skin.

I don't think that I would tell everyone to rush out and get a vsg. It is major surgery and should be carefully considered, researched and should involve both personal reflection and future planning.

Thanks frank I'm guilty, I was sleeved 12/7/11 my surgery and recovery were uneventful, I cant tell you how many times I have composed a reply to a thread only to cancel it, for fear of it being Misinterpreted. The negativity abounds here. I was 333 day of surgery lost Appx 90 in first 90 days, yesterday my weight was 179 that's 154 in 13 months,THIS SURGERY WORKS !!! I sometimes do get hungry now but mostly after heavy gym times . For a strange twist for the first time in my life my new years resolution is to gain 20 and stay under 10 BMi I'm thinking 5 on each shoulder and 10 through the chest and back!! The usual is no longer a #3 super sized but 8 miles on crosstrainer and some time in the weight room. What a difference a "committed" year can make ! Good luck and god bless you and your family this new year!!

Thanks frank I'm guilty, I was sleeved 12/7/11 my surgery and recovery were uneventful, I cant tell you how many times I have composed a reply to a thread only to cancel it, for fear of it being Misinterpreted. The negativity abounds here. I was 333 day of surgery lost Appx 90 in first 90 days, yesterday my weight was 179 that's 154 in 13 months,THIS SURGERY WORKS !!! I sometimes do get hungry now but mostly after heavy gym times . For a strange twist for the first time in my life my new years resolution is to gain 20 and stay under 10 BMi I'm thinking 5 on each shoulder and 10 through the chest and back!! The usual is no longer a #3 super sized but 8 miles on crosstrainer and some time in the weight room. What a difference a "committed" year can make ! Good luck and god bless you and your family this new year!!

WOW!!!!! 154 in 13 months!! That's basically my overall goal, 150 in 12 months! Kudos to you!

Okay, I will throw my 2 cents in - first I am glad you finally posted! Wonderful story!!!

Way back ... say 18 months ago, I seldom posted to this site and when I did it was the band to sleeve revision one. The reason is that this particular board has a "harsh" tone at times. In the early days, I was more fragile and i just couldn't be the target of some of the "helpful tough love" that floats freely here.

There is another online forum that has an entirely gentler social norm and in early days i found alot of support there.

I come back to this forum though because it is big and busy, and because I am at the stage where I still get support but hopefully I am also in a position to offer it. I am no longer fragile, I am strong and (mostly) very self confident. People can say whatever and I don't care because nobody REALLY knows me anyway. Mostly, I want to give hope to people who were out of hope. Especially those that failed at the lapband like I did.

So, iggy shares her story in a way that is very forceful. Please be aware that there have been horror stories on this forum since forever but but not all are such compelling writers or so strong opinions. The service that sharing these stories is that apparently some people don't realize that removing 85% of their stomachs is potentially dangerous. I don't mean to sound "harsh" myself, but the truth of it appears that some people need it in their face, repeatedly, to believe it. I was not one of those people and my doc gave me a serious dose of reality to consider before surgery (revisions have a much higher risk and excess bleeding risk). I am sensitive and the constant barrage would have put me off and maybe discouraged me from the surgery. I had already talked myself out of the rny for similiar reasons and the sleeve was indeed my last ditch hope. (To be clear my surgery was before Iggys and so of course in no way influenced me - I am talking about all the other people who were sharing at the time)

I am glad it didn't get scared off though because I have had a tremendously wonderful awesome amazing out of this world happy first year with the sleeve!!!! I thank God everyday for this, and I am also very thankful for no problems and the tremendous support and encouragement from my doc, my NUT and others too. AFter my nightmare with the band, I know good followup when I see it and that is exactly what I have gotten.

WOW!!!!! 154 in 13 months!! That's basically my overall goal' date=' 150 in 12 months! Kudos to you![/quote']

Thanks, you can do it too! You gave yourself a great advantage by getting sleeved, be "coachable and compliant" with your dr/ nut and you got this!!!

You have the entirely wrong impression. Meet some real life people who have had this surgery (I did before going under the knife). Seeing all these hot women who used to be obese - well - they weren't complaining! The vast majority of people have some struggles, but are overall very very very happy with the surgery and results! Honestly, the hardest part is the long term lifestyle changes to ensure that you make your goals and keep the weight off.... the rest is just short term issues.

Now, I do think people need to realize that there are REAL risks, bad things do happen.... BUT in my case had I stayed over 50 BMI I was quite certain to become disabled and die to young from obesity. I decided to throw my lot in with the hotties. :)

This fall, my sister in law died in her early 60s - heart failure caused by being 200# overweight. THAT was my future and it makes me sad she didn't find this solution in time.

OMG I can't thank you enough! I cancelled my surgery after joining this site. Most posts are negative and ready to call in the lawyers. After your post I will reconsider.

I am only two weeks out. I haven't had any major complications to date. Like you...no vomiting...no problem getting food in....after day 3 was over, because my throat was a bit swollen...nothing to do with my stomach.

I only found this site a few days before my surgery. My health care plan allowed me to do only 3 months of classes before surgery (instead of 6 or more) so between my busy family life and the fast track to this procedure, I really did NOT feel completely prepared for this experience. When my practice gave me a binder of detailed pre-surgery and post-surgery instructions, I automatically assumed that everything I was being told was "standard practice" for the industry. This forum was a rude awakening in that sense. My pre-op, clear liquid diet was only 3 days (shorter than most). My post-op diet was full liquids and purees from the very first day...(no waiting a week or two). I was told no alcohol....FOR A YEAR IF EVER! Others have physicians telling them when they can drink again and what drinks are best. The list goes on and on.

The one thing I DID know was that the surgery had risks....including death. (I have a friend who is a publisher and she published a book by a woman who lost her fiancee due to internal bleeding post WLS.) However, like MOST people who are members, I was morbidly obese and I had hit a wall. I figured my life wouldn't be a long and pleasant one on its prior trajectory and even with 4 young children, I was willing to gamble that the surgery would prolong my life if successful.

Reading "i's" story was pretty alarming, but at the same time, I found her the most vocal with people with low BMIs and even then, if those people had co-morbidities, she would soften her tone.

I am glad that you have been successful so far. My BMI was 42 at the start and now I am under 40, BUT I haven't had the post-surgery weight loss of most. I will be lucky if I have 10 lbs off by tomorrow when I see the doctor. I don't regret my decision to have the surgery, but I hope that if I don't have an immediate big weight loss, I hope that I can be a consistent loser.

Congrats on your new life BigFrank. I appreciate your post but feel a bit differently. I think it is easy to discount the negative experiences when your journey has been 100% positive but those stories are real and just as important. For every 10 perfect surgeries there is at least one that is not and those people need support too.

During my first three weeks post-op in July I had a few issues, nothing serious on a medical level but they were to me. This forum and its posters kept me sane and more important, informed. I will never forget that.

Before surgery I wanted to hear about both sides. I wanted to know the truth, not just the white washed version which usually ends with "but I'm still losing weight". I would hope all VSG pre-ops join the forum, read, become educated and make the best decision knowing the good, bad and sometimes ugly side of weight loss surgery.

This journey is about so much more than just weight loss, it is about quality of life as well.

Congrats Frank! I can just picture you wrestling on the floor with your little boy :-) Iggychic is my hero, by the way. She is raw and real and strong and compassionate. She went through hell and kept on going until she got out. I don't see her posts as negative at all but as a very necessary warning. This is not only major surgery it is a major lifestyle change. Don't enter this decision lightly!

I too almost backed out but I am so glad I didn't. I had a great and uneventful recovery (although I can't stand even the thought of Protein drinks any more) and I am continuing to lose weight and get healthy. I am already able to do things I thought I could never do again. I used to drive my adult kids to Wal-Mart and sit in the car while they shopped because I couldn't walk around the store and I was ashamed to ride in the little go-carts because *I* wasn't "disabled" (foolish me).

Whenever I get the chance I tell people in this forum how great the VSG is working for me. I know it saved my life.

This is so inspirational to a guy with same numbers. I am 6'5'' 427lbs. Going under the knife in 2 weeks and starting my diet today. People with smooth post ops tend not to stick around the forum and we need to hear these type of stories as well. Thank you for sharing Frank and i hope your journey continues as it has so far.

Hey, chub, just want to chime in with my son and also had the sleeve on 12/27 and he is 22, 6'6" and started the journey at 429. At surgery, he was 385 and looks awesome (better than his 53 year old mom). He is doing really well, so far. Our postop visit is tomorrow. Just wanted to say, there are more of you out there! Good luck on your journey.

. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have taken such a big risk, after all, we have a three year old son. I also WOULD NOT recommend this surgery I told her. I couldn't live with myself if I advised someone to go through this and something bad happened to them.

My dad's dead because of complications due to his weight (over 450 pounds at 5'11"). He was overweight my entire life, and because of his weight, he wasn't an ACTIVE part of my life. He didn't go to my parent teacher conferences, we didn't throw the ball in the yard, he didn't go to my concerts or games. He sat, and I was his legs. At home, he sat in his chair. Out of the home, he sat in his car.

My dad missed SO much because of his weight. He had a chance at WLS when it was much riskier (about 30 years ago), and he chickened out.

Before he died, my dad was very ill. He was in and out of the hospital for the last 5 years of his life. When he would be hospitalized, he was there for months at a time. We have family photos visiting him in the hospital.

My kids don't remember him.

I remember him, but I was SO mad at him for so long because he let his weight interfere with his health and his duties at being MY dad. So yes, the surgery is dangerous, but so is NOT having surgery.

I want to be a mom to my kids, but I want to be a mom who is there and not sitting at home because I can't fit in the seats of the auditorium or walk up to the bleachers.

How absolutely BORING this forum would be if we all just posted, "my surgery went so well, I have nothing to say."

Again, I have to say, I am greatful for this forum, for this country and all the opportunities we have that allow us communicate with each other this way.

I think Iggychic is awesome, too. I'm sure she knows that if her experience had been different, she would have a different feeling about it now. Is there anyone who doesn't have a negative opinion about something that happened to them? Even something simple like, oh, that meal made me sick and I haven't had one since.

So, would you promote a surgery that almost killed you?

Also, there are a million good stories on here, from all over the world, not just here in the best country in the world (sorry :D I'm patriotic).

If something on here was too rough to listen to, then maybe you do belong on a "different" site. I would prefer straight talk, even if it sometimes comes out sounding mean. Most people can't handle the truth. That's why they leave.

Yes, sometimes, you encounter posters you won't like, but, it's the same out in the real world. I believe for sure, those posters are probably walking around staring at the floor because they fear ever having to be in contact with a real person. So sad for them.

I was just sleeved on 12/27 and since I expect the worst and hope for the best, I am still waiting for something to happen, but will be so happy if it doesn't B) That's just me and we are all different and that's great.

Frank, you did great, as we hope we all do and keep posting!