Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here, you've GOT to read this!

Hey Frank. It sounds like we had very similar starting stats. I was 401 when I started my 10 day preop diet. Almost 8 months later I'm 236. That will be you my friend. Best of luck.

I haven't been on here much lately since I'm over a year out. It's sad that there are so many negative things on here now because when I first got on here it was very postive and extremely helpful. I also had the best experience, the easiest surgury and recovery you can imagine. People need to hear the great stories. This surgery changed my life and I feel awesome now even though I still have a little ways to go. Good luck to you.

In fact' date=' I know of at least a hundred or so FORMER users of this forum that have left because of the continued negativity and doom and gloom posts of a select few posters. [/quote']

That could be the problem right there. Instead of hanging out & posting their stories they chose to abandon ship.

Can you imagine how much the dynamic would change around here if we had 100+ more active members with positive stories?

I must say that reading your story made me feel a lot better about my surgery. I was sleeved on 12/18. At the day of surgery, I was 482 and I'm 6'1. I had found this forum before my surgery and thought seriously about changing my mind about the surgery but wanted to get healthy and be able to enjoy life again. I quit visiting the forum until after my surgery, didn't even join before was just lurking. Since coming back after my surgery, I was curious if I was even operated on because I've had no complications at all. No cramping, nausea, or throwing up. I've read and wondered did my doctor take out enough. I can easily drink my fluids and Protein. My first post op visit is tomorrow and I was going to ask my doctor about this. I now know that I'm ok and just one of the sleevers with no complications. I haven't weighed myself to see if I've lost weight yet but I do notice that clothes that were tight before are fitting looser now. Thanks Frank for this thread. It made my day to get up and read this

OMG I can't thank you enough! I cancelled my surgery after joining this site. Most posts are negative and ready to call in the lawyers. After your post I will reconsider.

I had a very successful surgery also!! Sleeved on 9/18/12. Down 69lbs. No nausea or vomiting. Very minimal pain- nothing Tylenol couldn't take away. Started walking for miles about 3 days after surgery. Now I'm doing turbo kickboxing, Piyo ( Pilates and yoga) and muscle conditioning! Things I never thought I'd be able to do.

As far as eating I'm not sure if I have a sleeve of Steel or what but I've had no problem with any foods at all. I have noticed my taste buds have changed a bit. Things taste a lot sweeter ( crystal light and such ) so I have to dilute my drinks and Water tastes a but metallic but I'm totally okay with that!

Just wanted you to know that there are lots of us here who had a GREAT experience. As much as I can sympathize with those that have complications I can only tell you about my journey which has been completely positive

Wishing you the best in whatever your decision -

I love seeing posts like this Big Frank!! Success stories are always so encouraging!! I'm getting sleeved on February 18th and while I'm excited to make a change, it's a little intimidating!! As far as getting brain-banged by some of the horror stories you see on here...I think we all just have to remember that it is important to go into this thing with our eyes wide open, being fully informed as to what can happen (good and bad)...we just don't need to let ourselves get so wrapped up in the fear that we miss out on such a good thing! There is no way of knowing in advance if you are going to have a leak or any of the other issues that may occur, you can only cross that bridge when you come to it. Best of luck to everyone!! Happy New Year!!

Thank you OP for sharing your story. This is what the surgery is all about. Being ready for it, following the program and being positive.

The poster that starts with an "I" I beleive is the most negative one on here. She is not happy that she had her surgery and I think wants everyone who reads any of her posts to know it . I wish that she would just accept the fact what happened and get on with her lovely new life!!

Anyway I truly wish you all the best and don't stay away, take ALL of the posts with a grain of salt.

Happy New Year!!

I was sleeved 11/12/12 and had no complications. I am having some difficulty with different foods and seem to throw up quite a bit, but since I'm down 56 pounds and I am no longer in pain, I say bring on a couple of bouts of nausea!! I'm being weaned off my blood pressure meds and feel AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks everyone for posting your positive comments. i found this site after I was sleeved on 12/17/12. Had I found it before I might have reconsidered given the problems I had getting insurance approval.

I have not had any problems post-op. Except Constipation. Right now I am battling an arthritis flare-up which has nothing to do with the surgery. Am taking tramadol for the pain wich is a bummer, Can't take NSAIDS. But this too will pass.

Have a blessed New Year

Look, if you've ever worked customer service then you know the most vocal are the ones that had the worst experience. It's true across the board whether it be a restaurant, shopping or surgery a satisfied customer will tell 2-3 a dissatisfied one will tell 8-10. If you're having no complications, then the only reason to stick around is to look at before and after pictures, to check how your "friends" are doing and to waste time. By it's very nature if you're doing well on the sleeve then you're not going to have your ass stuck to a chair, you're going to be out MOVING and living life. :)

Ig IS a bit of a brow beater when it comes to her complications. That said, I know of at least one person she convinced to go back to the doctor (after she was sent home because she was "fine") who did indeed have a leak. If you're upset that she's trying to become a one woman crusade to make sure everyone knows there can be complications, maybe you should create Team Good Vibes to tell everyone how great you did.

I personally have thrown up 3 times so far, each time was my own stupid fault for being dumb. (big swig of Water when I first got out of the hospital, ate a pork chop too fast and didn't chew well enough, and tried some kind of weird Bacon ranch chicken lunch meat that I probably should have known better than to try even before sleeve) My incisions got a little infected, but not enough for antibiotics, and one of my nurses in the hospital was a mean twit.

I was sleeved 11/21 and as of this morning I am down 47 pounds. Most days I feel awesome and I have never regretted getting the surgery.

OMG I can't thank you enough! I cancelled my surgery after joining this site. Most posts are negative and ready to call in the lawyers. After your post I will reconsider.

Please do reconsider! I had my surgery Oct 25, 2012, and it has already changed my outlook on life. I had my surgery in Mexico, without incident and have already lost 60 lbs! I'm recovering well and have had no problems outside the minor discomforts in the begining while learning the limitations of my new sleeve. I believe most everyone on this forum has good intentions, I also believe there are some who either don't realize or just don't care how their posts come off. I hate the though that some opinions or bad experiences have turned people away from what could be a new life for them. It's good to know the risks of any surgery. This surgery is a very personal decision that has had a positive outcome for the majority of people that have elected to have it. Please research and talk to people. Get as much information you can and make the decision that's best for you based on more than a few negative experiences or opinions on this forum.

Frank, best of luck on your new sleeve and lifestyle changes! If you aren't already using My Fitness Pal, give it a try! It helps me stay accountable for what I put in my mouth, and my MFP crew are the most supportive and encouraging group I have. Feel free to add me too, Robbino.

Thank. You Frank for posting and all the good stories that followed. A couple days ago I was so freaked out that I was searching for "stomach transplants" on the Internet in case it goes really bad. I'm reassured now :) Just breathe!

Definetly reconsider!!!!! I too experienced a very easy recovery. ZERO complications...NO ISSUES whatsoever. I was sleeved on 11/14...I'm down 50 lbs. This has absolutely changed my life.

Starting the 2013 new year off right. I stepped on the scale this morning and lost another 2 lbs since Sunday which puts me at 60 lbs lost! I am 11 days post op and have gone from 445 on 11/23 (start of pre op diet) to 385 on 1/1, 60 lbs in 40 days!! Hello new life!

I am overwhelmed at the responses that I have gotten in this thread, especially the ones that said that my story has inspired them! I am so humbled, thank you! I am seriously changing my entire opinion of this surgery after this thread. Let me tell you a sad story. A few days ago, about 7 days post op, my wife asked me if I would do it all over again. I told her no. She asked why? "You have had such an ideal experience." I said "yeah, I was VERY LUCKY." There are tons of people that have complications based on what I saw on the sleeve site. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have taken such a big risk, after all, we have a three year old son. I also WOULD NOT recommend this surgery I told her. I couldn't live with myself if I advised someone to go through this and something bad happened to them. That is SERIOUSLY what I thought.

After seeing this thread, there are A LOT of success stories out there. I will say what a lot of other people said and say that this surgery DOES change your life for the better. If you are as heavy as I was you WILL NOT live a long life. Period. How many 6' 3" 445 lb old people do you see walking this Earth? I don't see many that's for sure. If you are considering VSG surgery, JUST DO IT! Don't think about it and procrastinate like I did for two years. JUST DO IT! I wasted two years drinking and eating when I could have been rolling around in the grass, wrestling with my son. Believe me, we WILL be doing that this summer! 2013 is going to be my best year ever!

Starting the 2013 new year off right. I stepped on the scale this morning and lost another 2 lbs since Sunday which puts me at 60 lbs lost! I am 11 days post op and have gone from 445 on 11/23 (start of pre op diet) to 385 on 1/1' date=' 60 lbs in 40 days!! Hello new life!

I am overwhelmed at the responses that I have gotten in this thread, especially the ones that said that my story has inspired them! I am so humbled, thank you! I am seriously changing my entire opinion of this surgery after this thread. Let me tell you a sad story. A few days ago, about 7 days post op, my wife asked me if I would do it all over again. I told her no. She asked why? "You have had such an ideal experience." I said "yeah, I was VERY LUCKY." There are tons of people that have complications based on what I saw on the sleeve site. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have taken such a big risk, after all, we have a three year old son. I also WOULD NOT recommend this surgery I told her. I couldn't live with myself if I advised someone to go through this and something bad happened to them. That is SERIOUSLY what I thought.

After seeing this thread, there are A LOT of success stories out there. I will say what a lot of other people said and say that this surgery DOES change your life for the better. If you are as heavy as I was you WILL NOT live a long life. Period. How many 6' 3" 445 lb old people do you see walking this Earth? I don't see many that's for sure. If you are considering VSG surgery, JUST DO IT! Don't think about it and procrastinate like I did for two years. JUST DO IT! I wasted two years drinking and eating when I could have been rolling around in the grass, wrestling with my son. Believe me, we WILL be doing that this summer! 2013 is going to be my best year ever![/quote']

Brought tears to my eyes! I'm doing this if all goes as planned, in February. I'm SO excited to get my life back!!