Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rate the pain post op 1-10.. And why?

Tell me what you rate/rated the pain from 1-10 (obviously everyone's pain threshold is different) but give me your opinion, your personal experience and what things you went through during your recovery!! :)

That is tough question but I will give it a shot. I think my threshold number will be lower than most because I had two previous abdominal surgeries. First was my appendix and second was an ovary removal. So when I was sleeved it was totally comparable to both of those surgeries. So the day of surgery my pain was a 7, the next day a 3-5, and the days following was a 1 or 0. Starting the fourth day I was pretty much pain free except for the occasional cough or sneeze. I think the feeling for me was being uncomfortable. Hope that makes some sense. But seriously, I don't have children, so anyone who has had a baby is going to find the surgery a breeze I would think. But like I said- I have never had a baby but that sounds way worse. I hope I answered your question. All the best!

0 pain, 0 gas. I don't know why because I don't tolerate pain well at all. It was one of the questions I drilled my surgeon on every Pre surgical visit.

Low low low. My doctor kept me on pain meds for the first day thru the first night then tapered off. By the end of day 2 I was off IV pain meds and didn't take another pain pill till midday, day 3.

I never felt pain per se.... an annoying soreness, like I was kicked in the belly.

I believe Dr Alvarez numbs from the inside, which was really effective for pain management. I feel like some of the numbness is just now wearing off. It's important to discuss your surgeon's approach to pain management.

I don't feel mine was above a 5 the whole time- by day 5 it was a 1-0 and by day six I was off of the pain meds competely. I think I have a relatively high pain threshhold- I had a c-section with my son 8 years ago and had minimal pain with that. They gave me a script for percoset on release from the hospital that I never even filled. I kind of wish I had- love those meds- they are truly happy pills LOL

-Kendra

I had a 20+ pain due to I pick up something heavy and pulled a muscle don't do it! Have someone help you! It had me out way longer then expected!!!! 3 weeks out and finally able to exercise and move!

If 10 is the worst you can inagine, I would rate natural childbirth an 11 and post sleeve 2, maybe 3. My abs were SORE, so I slept in a recliner. As long as I didn't use ab muscles I had only minor discomfort.

Tell me what you rate/rated the pain from 1-10 (obviously everyone's pain threshold is different) but give me your opinion' date=' your personal experience and what things you went through during your recovery!! :)[/quote']

I would rate the pain a 2. I took the pain meds for three days as my surgeon asked - he wants his patients to take them just in case. I'm not sure that I needed them, but I was definitely comfortable. I had no gas pain, my only discomfort was just the soreness from having my stomach pulled through my belly button - lol.

I supposedly set a record for walking more after surgery than any other patient they had previously seen - I heard so much about it that I pretty much jumped up as soon as I was awake and took lap after lap around the surgical center throughout the evening and even many times in the middle of the night that night. :)

c section was a 5 maybe, first surgery (sleeve) was a 15 that went up to a 20, second repair surgery I'd say a 7 that quickly went down to a 2 or 3.

I had a neck injury in the sixth grade that left me with a permanent head ache until I was in my 20's so I have a pain threshold that's very very high. My husband knew something was wrong when I started taking pain pills after the first surgery. I just don't take the stupid things ever because I hate how they make me feel. That should have been a hint huh?

Immediately post surgery when they woke me up (pre-meds) : 7 - but this was also like for 5 min MAYBE

The rest of that day: 4-5

Day 2: 3

From there on out: 0-1

The gas was really the worst part and the pain meds don't help with that. You just have to walk, walk, walk! I used a heating pad and that helped a lot too.

The pain was not bad and soooo worth it! :)

Zero pain, zero naseau or vomiting, never any gas. Never took a pain pill after released from hospital.

I have had three sections, a tubal, and my gallbladder removed. I never took any pain meds after any of those procedures-in the hospital or at home. In fact, first baby I labored 36 hours without medication, only to have an emergency c-section. So, prior to my sleeve I was adamant that I would not need pain meds. I was so wrong. I received 2 doses of Dilaudid in pacu. And then went through 1.5 cartridges of morphine on my PCA. I left the hospital the day after surgery. I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, but this kicked my ass. Other claim no big deal though. Everyone recovers differently. Good luck!

The first 3 or so hours after the surgery were the worst. Pain was maybe a 7 when I was awake, which wasn't much. By that evening my pain was about a 4, getting better the more I walked. By the next day it was 2-3, even during the nearly four hour car ride home. After that I was just sore, like after working out. The worst is when I forget to get up for a while and walk. My abdominal muscles get stiff and it's hard to stand up straight at first. Not bad, just annoying.

Pain in my stomach I would say zero. Pain itself I would say maybe 4 or 5 when I woke up I felt my back was going to break in fact the first thing I wanted to do was get up. I thought because the procedure went to long. As soon as I could get up I tried to stay out of bed I slept in the chair with tons of pillows. My pain was the gas and my back so strange no pain in my stomach and did not feel or get sick. I used the pain meds for my back and to help me sleep. Stayed two nights mainly because I was feeling weak. Very smooth surgery!