Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to lose all the weight with VSG? Why don't some people?

Is it possible to lose all the weight with VSG? Why don't some people lose all the weight?

VSG is just a tool, it's still up to the individual to make the right food and exercise choices.

Everyone has a different story so I'm not sure why some aren't successful.

I was concerned about this going in... And I've been thrilled with my results. Honestly I don't know how someone could "eat around" the sleeve like some people have with the band. I realize that high calorie liquids would probably do it but it's not that hard to avoid those. A few bites of semi solid food and I couldn't squeeze another bite in for hours. In all honesty I'm starting to get concerned with getting enough in rather than too much. I have no problem eating and so far none of what I have tried has caused any issues it's just that I can eat no more than about 3 ounces for Breakfast and I don't feel like eating again the rest of the day. But I also think that for the guys it's a little different perspective. We don't have to chase the smallest possible size, in fact the BMI charts put me around 160lbs (I'm 6'1") but if you look at pictures of me at 180 I looked anorexic. My personal goal is 225 and I see that as being very achievable but even if I stopped losing at 260/265 I'd still be thrilled at the results, still look 100% better than I did and still feel 100% better than I was.

I think you are asking a complicated question. For high BMI people, the metabolic disorder - obesity - is pretty advanced. That extra weight puts up quite a fight! My doc told me that i have done very well to go from over 50 BMI down to under 30 BMI. I am still losing, but his point is that alot of people who are THAT heavy just don't make it that far. Even so, wow, what a victory to go from 300+ to the under 200 range, right? I started at 308, currently weigh 174, most people assume I weigh in the 150s judging by my appearance. I wear a size 10, non stretch jeans... I am smaller then many women my age. My ideal weight, by the charts is 144 I believe. So if I don't lose another pound, does that mean I have failed to lose all the weight? I don't see it that way and neither does my surgeon or my family/friends.

For people who started out lower BMI, well, maybe the reasons are a little different, but reality of it is that not everyone is willing to exercise regularly, follow their meal plan etc. Or maybe they don't really have the education/support needed. The initial weight loss is pretty easy for most people, but over the long haul it takes work. Trust me, getting those last 20 or so off is work for me at least!

I often don't think BMI is the best calculator for health. I mean a few years ago they changed the BMI overweight range from 28 to 25, making hundreds of thousands if not millions overweight over night! And some people who are really thin have high cholesterol and BP. it's about how we treat our bodies and what we put into them. This is a tool!

I think people just need to find a good weight that works for them.

I'm not concerned with what my BMI is as long as I am healthy and not huge anymore. I know thin people who are classified as overweight because of that stupid chart. All of my health problems disappeared when I lost 50lbs, so if I look and feel good and still have a high BMI, then I don't care what the chart says.

It is not weight that makes you unhealthy, nor is It finding yourself categorized on some chart.

Having too much fat on your body, not getting the right kind of nourishment, and lack of proper exercise is unhealthy.

scales and charts are not our masters, they are estimators and indicators, just tools. They help us compare ourselves to other people.

Your main concern is not how you compare to others but how satisfied you are in your own skin.

I often don't think BMI is the best calculator for health. I mean a few years ago they changed the BMI overweight range from 28 to 25' date=' making hundreds of thousands if not millions overweight over night! And some people who are really thin have high cholesterol and BP. it's about how we treat our bodies and what we put into them. This is a tool!

I think people just need to find a good weight that works for them.[/quote']

BMI has to be viewed as what it really is, a guideline. There are other things to take into account also, like muscle mass, and bone density.

At my heaviest healthy weight (155lbs) my BMI was 25.1. Considering that at this weight I was the top wrestler in our district I think I was pretty healthy. Now, that was my walking around weight. My competing weight class was either 140-145 or 145-150. At that time I could bench press 300lbs (work out weight was more like 225-250)& was leg pressing 550+.

So from those numbers you can see that I wasn't a scrawny little guy. BTW, I was 5'6" tall. I wasn't carrying much body fat, but, I wasn't far from a "normal" BMI either.

I looked it up a while back, I can't remember the exact numbers, but even Arnold Scharzeneger, multiple time winner of Mr. Olympia, at his heaviest weight never would have had a BMI over 30. And that dude was BIG.

Why did this turn into a conversation on BMI?

My doctor told me that as long as I follow the diet and exercise there's no reason why I won't lose all of my weight with the sleeve. It's up to me.

Sleeved 12/17/12 and enjoying the adventure!

Why did this turn into a conversation on BMI?

Because, when a question is stated in a general manner, such as "all the weight" it leaves a lot to question. And since BMI is the generally accepted method of determining a "healthy" or "normal" weight, that is where it went.

If you would like to ask the question in a specific manner then I'll be happy to address it as directly as possible.

Because' date=' when a question is stated in a general manner, such as "all the weight" it leaves a lot to question. And since BMI is the generally accepted method of determining a "healthy" or "normal" weight, that is where it went.

If you would like to ask the question in a specific manner then I'll be happy to address it as directly as possible.[/quote']

What exacty are you considering "all the weight"?

Its possible. I have a coworker who is struggling to put on a few pounds because she got too skinny. I could see how it could fail because for me personally, I can get super full and about an hour later could eat again. Now if I caved or ate calorie rich food, I'd definitely gain. I can definitely see how you could cheat the sleeve.

At first I was put off by the weight loss statistics presented during the initial seminar. They said the average person loses 60% of their extra body weight with the sleeve. That was a little disappointing! I want to lose 100% darn it!

Since being on the post op journey, I have learned this statistic applies to everyone including most of us, those that exercise 4 hours a day and individuals that hardly lose anything or to those that have different levels of motivation with regards to eating and exercise choices.

My point is that the stat truly is an average of a very large and diverse sample set and you have the freedom to be above, below or at average depending on personal goals, lifestyle, etc. Do not read my remarks as being good or bad; it is just an observation I have picked up on when reading posts from a large variety of folks over the last 6 months.

I am at 90% lost currently, maybe higher. I have not plugged it into a calculator yet. Started at 335 DOS on 7-2-2012, currently at 203 and need to get to 180.

To answer the OPs question: I think it really depends what a post op sleever is willing to do and the choices they are willing to make based on their lifestyle, set of circumstances and more. Good luck everyone!