Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op, and the last couple of days, I am experiencing excessive pain on my left side. The best description is it feels like a tree branch is trying to poke out of me. Hurts to stand, walk, breath, except when sitting or sleeping. Pain meds doing nothing, not even taking the edge off. My tree isn't even decorated yet... what is this pain?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Left side scares me that it is a leak. Please don't delay in seeking medical advice. Is your heart racing? That is another symptom I have read on here. I don't mean to be an alarmist I just want to be sure you seek help. Praying for the best results!

I just started eating last Wednesday, and really not much, cottage cheese, can chicken... mostly still Protein drinks. I'm not sick, nauseated or anything like that. It's like a sharp, burning type pain... when I walk, I automatically want to push in where it hurts and like try to support that area. I don't know if a sore muscle would feel like this. I've been more active in the last week, moving Christmas Tree around, climbed the attic ladder and brought down decorations, etc... But the pain stops when I sit and stop all activity. I went to buy an abdomen support thingy, but XL is to small! What is this? I've had no issues at all with my procedure, until this now.

you should call surgeon but they may send you to get checked out just like Bubba said. It may not take that long to find it is not so bad but it is a good precaution. I also I would say to take it easy as you seem to know now, maybe stuff is adding up and stresses and activity are the cause you now still more, just don't excert yourself again today.

11 days out plus pre losses, lol, nothing still will fit me yet as always but 2 pairs pants I own are to big now too.

I had to wear those abdomen support and the took two xl and made them one! One last fat insult for the road. Please check with you surgeon's on call personnel. It is just precaution but well worth it for peace of mind.

Could be an internal stitch pulling or healing

I know the pain you are feeling. I describe it as being stabbed with a hot knife. Sometimes I will walk holding my belly in (on the left side). Some get this pain a few weeks after surgery, I was unfortunate enough to get it immediately. I was told it could take three weeks for mine to go away. I see improvements every day. I would contact your surgeon to see what they say. I was told to not over do it and to keep moving. I was told it was my internal stitches. I think they were tied pretty darn tight!!!

So I FEEL your pain!

I know the pain you are feeling. I describe it as being stabbed with a hot knife. Sometimes I will walk holding my belly in (on the left side). Some get this pain a few weeks after surgery' date=' I was unfortunate enough to get it immediately. I was told it could take three weeks for mine to go away. I see improvements every day. I would contact your surgeon to see what they say. I was told to not over do it and to keep moving. I was told it was my internal stitches. I think they were tied pretty darn tight!!!

So I FEEL your pain![/quote']

I think you're right. I did call my surgeon, and the on call Dr. called me right back! Said it sounded muscular/skeletal, mainly because I not sick or nauseated. BUT he also slipped in there "possible hernia"... great!, isn't that something poking out of something?? Said heating pad, 400mg of Motrin every 6 hrs. Tutu you described it just right... Thank you.

ps... thought Ibuprofen was off limits after sleeve??! Hmmm

I am so glad you called! I hope it is not a hernia and just a pulled something. Bless your heart take it easy and keep us posted.

I never found meds that helped and I was on liquid Vicodin. Just don't over do it. You should see slight improvements daily. Good luck!

Ugh...so much to do...no relief at all... heating pad all night, ibuprofen as directed...starts hurting the minute I stand up...darn it! darn it! darn it!!

Ugh...so much to do...no relief at all... heating pad all night' date=' ibuprofen as directed...starts hurting the minute I stand up...darn it! darn it! darn it!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Left side pain might be from the incision where they pulled your stomach out. Several people on this forum, including myself, have stated similar experiences around the same time period post op. If this pain continues you should definitely call your surgeon after hours line. If it gets really bad, you might consider going to a walk in clinic or to the ER to get checked out. I do emphasize and hope you feel better soon. Have fun getting ready for Christmas and spending time with the family!

I've talked to Dr. last night... I'm barely able to walk normally...He said time to worry is if I started feeling sick. My surgery has been like following a text book, no issues once so ever, until this. Is this a chapter I missed. I've done nothing since yesterday but lay with a heating pad. It kills me to walk the few steps to make a shake or go to the bathroom. It's bringing down, dang it. I know there are worse issues than this, but I've been doing well and have been upbeat, and now my husband is home today after working 16 hour days and working 16 tomorrow and also Christmas night (works for electric provider, 24/7 operations). And I can't move. If Dr. not concerned because I'm not nauseated, makes me feel a bit better, but to get no relief, not even "the edge off"...I'm totally getting depressed....Sorry for my whining, my husband is trying to understand, but all I can tell him is "It hurts... right here"...I don't think U need an ER, but I don't know....Sorry again to unload...

No need for apologies that what we are here for. Unload upon us? I know the depression that comes from complications. Talk it helps, post here it helps. Prayers lifting for you

Honey I was NEVER nausiated prior to spending several weeks in the hospital from pain and damage associated with a slow leak. That is NOT the defining factor of illness. My body was literally poisoning itself and I didn't throw up until the day I had to be medivac'ed to a hospital across the sound. GO TO THE ER. The worst thing that will happen is you take some tests (xrays, cat scan, barium swallow) but this is not normal and should not be dismissed. Dismissed pain is what almost killed me.