Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No alcohol ever?

My doctor said never. Which I don't care, since I didn't drink before. His reasoning is that my stomach is so small now, do not waste the space on useless calories. Use the space for something useful, like Protein.

Also, it does enter your system undiluted, and WILL cause liver damage, and WILL damage the lining of your stomach. Is having a drink really that important?

Were we not all warned before surgery about alcohol use? I was, about a million times. If drinking alcohol is important to you, why have the surgery?

Why have the surgery? Because alcohol, like other things I put in my mouth, can be consumed in moderation throughout my lifetime. The surgery does not alter that. Because I collect and we plan on making wine in the future. I enjoy the craft of wine making, the artistry, the skill, it's pretty amazing. You speak as if it's all or nothing, but that's silly. It maybe for you, but many others enjoy having a drink on occasion. It will not be traveling unchecked to the liver (no medical basis for that statement) and if taken in moderation causes no damage to the body. Sure if we were talking a fifth a week or day...ya, get away from it, but to say never? That's just rediculous for most adults.

I'm with you Iggychic. Sometimes I would be happy to have the empty calories of a glass of wine. As long as I count them into my daily quota, what's the problem?

I really like and trust my nutritionist. She has advised me that at five months out I could have a small drink at my daughters wedding. I am glad it hasn't been forbidden because knowing me I would just want it more but I am happy to comply with a small amount very occassionally.

I'm sorry, but can I really laugh a lot right now!!! OMG no wonder we call them "NUT's"!! That is plain and simply, downright DUMB with a capital DUMB! This surgery was done to help with restriction and to help us cut down on the amounts we eat. We still have the option to do whatever, but within moderation! I have been drinking since i was 3 months out! I'm out now 3 + years (hence the picture on your left, yes I'm in a bar) My stomach has not gotten necrotic, and if it has, heck I don't know it. . . mind you, you shouldn't drink 2 days out of surgery of course, that could be a bit painful! hahahahaha, I'm still laughing. . .

Alot of our nutritional paperwork from the bariatric program does not condone the consumption of alchohol because YES, it can be harmful to the body in excess. With that said, in moderation, and after you have completely healed from WLS, a few glasses of wine (or a cocktail) is NOT going to KILL YOU. Here is how alchohol is digested:

Here’s a road map to show you the route traveled by the alcohol in every drink you take.

• Flowing down the hatch from mouth to stomach: The unmetabolized alcohol flows through your stomach walls into your bloodstream and on to your small intestine.

• Stopping for a short visit at the energy factory: Most of the alcohol you drink is absorbed through the duodenum (small intestine). From there it flows through a large blood vessel into your liver.
    In the liver, an enzyme similar to gastric ADH metabolizes the alcohol, which is converted to energy by a coenzyme called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD). NAD is also used to convert the glucose you get from other carbohydrates to energy; while NAD is being used for alcohol, glucose conversion grinds to a halt.
    The normal, healthy liver can process about 1/2 ounce of pure alcohol (that’s 6 to 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1 ounce of spirits) in an hour. The rest flows on to your heart.

• Taking time out for air: Entering your heart, alcohol reduces the force with which your heart muscle contracts. You pump out slightly less blood, blood vessels all over your body relax, and your blood pressure goes down temporarily. The contractions soon return to normal, but the blood vessels may remain relaxed and your blood pressure lower for as long as half an hour.
    Meanwhile, alcohol flows in blood from your heart through your pulmonary vein to your lungs. Now you breathe out a tiny bit of alcohol every time you exhale, and your breath smells of liquor. Then the newly oxygenated, still alcohol-laden blood flows back through the pulmonary artery to your heart, and up and out through the aorta.

• Rising to the surface: In your blood, alcohol raises your level of high-density lipoproteins (HDLs), although not necessarily the good ones that carry cholesterol out of your body. Alcohol also makes blood less likely to clot, temporarily reducing your risk of heart attack and stroke.
    Alcohol makes blood vessels expand, so more warm blood flows up from the center of your body to the surface of the skin. You feel warmer and, if your skin is fair, you may flush and turn pink. (Asians, who tend to make less alcohol dehydrogenase than do Caucasians, often experience a characteristic flushing when they drink even small amounts of alcohol.) At the same time, tiny amounts of alcohol ooze out through your pores, and your perspiration smells of alcohol.

• Encountering curves in the road: Alcohol is a sedative. When it reaches your brain, it slows the transmission of impulses between nerve cells that control your ability to think and move. That’s why your thinking may be fuzzy, your judgment impaired, your tongue twisted, your vision blurred, and your muscles rubbery.

Alcohol reduces your brain’s production of antidiuretic hormones, which keep you from making too much urine. You may lose lots of liquid, Vitamins, and minerals. You also grow very thirsty, and your urine may smell faintly of alcohol. This cycle continues as long as you have alcohol circulating in your blood, or in other words, until your liver can manage to produce enough ADH to metabolize all the alcohol you’ve consumed.

Most people need an hour to metabolize the amount of alcohol (1/2 ounce) in one drink. But some people have alcohol circulating in their blood for up to three

Both my dr and my NUT have advised that moderate alcohol is okay (it was a 1-2 month wait). My dr warned me that the alcohol will most likely hit quicker, which it does. The most I ever have is 2 drinks maybe twice a month. I find I get a buzz quick and it goes away quick. But my NUT is a nut in that she is always trying to up my carbs and I don't skimp on them as it is (or not as much as some people here). I choose to listen to my dr when they give me conflicting information.

Ok Katie can you now give me the flow of orange juice? It also enters your body "in diluted" lol. Trust science to remove the romance from a great pinot noir :P

As Aussie mentions, when we drink and are trying to lose weight we have to account for those calories in our daily goal, which I do as well. But I can increase my goal by only drinking at wine bars located uphill or upstairs :P which I do as well heh heh (kidding!)

But of course Iggy! You know I get my low carb veggie nutrition from bloody mary's made with V8! I had to give up my margaritas, but one bloody mary does the trick these days, and yes I do count my calories. As far as wine is concerned, I'm partial to a nice sweet red but its for medicinal purposes only, for my heart health, you know. :P

I have a friend who had the band done a few years ago. She lost a lot and looked amazing, but that woman can drink a sailor under the table. She has recently had to go to MX for the sleeve because "the band isn't working". During lunch when she announced this, she had three huge calorie-laden drinks! No wonder it didn't work. If it hasn't killed her yet, I think we're all in the clear! I've never been a huge drinker since I've been of legal drinking age (21 and younger was a way different story) but I sure love a good bloody Mary every now and then!!!

My NUT gave me the okay for alcohol in moderation for Christmas and New Years Eve. Honestly I've made the decision to avoid until the Super Bowl but it's nice to know that she's okay with it if it was something I wanted.

I was cleared for Champagne :) In moderation LOL I've had a glass now (at a holiday party I was at recently) and was happy to find no ill effects. I didn't have more than one because of the bubbles, but it was nice to have something special :)

After all the goober I went through for this sleeve, and now finally feeling healthy again, I have to admit I'm enjoying holiday celebrations almost more than ever (our son was born during the holiday season so that one was special as well). And I'm enjoying a glass or two of wine with friends as well. Feeling "normal" finally makes the celebration so much more sweeter...and the scale is going down :P

I was told to wait one year and I'm three months out now. I attended my wine club Christmas party and had two sips from a friend's glass. Tried a couple of sips of champagne and another day tried one sip of beer but that was painful. I miss the flavors!! Once I realised that, I've ordered and enjoyed virgin bloody Mary's.

Good question Fishy....and for me the answer is yes. We are very into wine collecting. Many friends own wineries and we spend a lot of time learning about their craft. We enjoy it a lot. It has nothing to do with getting drunk, nor do we drink it with Breakfast lunch and dinner (every day LOL) but it's an enjoyable part of our life that we share with friends.

If I could never have a drink of wine again I would live. But I enjoy it and would just assume keep it as a part of my life.

I do not enjoy drinking heavily at a party til I can't stand...that kind of thing belongs to youth I guess :) But responsible drinking isn't a bad thing in my mind...as long as you are at least three days past surgery :P (KIDDING!!!!)

I should mention. I had this surgery verses the bypass because it allowed me to live a more normal life, and being able to drink was one of the factors. I wasn't willing to leave the whole cellar to my dh lol

I was told by my NUT that after surgery I'll feel the effects of alcohol quicker. I asked if it effects the blood/alcohol level and she had no idea. Just seemed odd to think you may feel wasted after half a drink but still be way under the legal limit to drive!