Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No alcohol ever?

This is what support group told me tonight led by our NUT. If we as sleevers drink, everything pass our stomach will become necrotic. You mean to tell me that a glass of wine here and there is gng to KILL me? I know a lot of surgeons release their patient to drink in small moderation at like 3-4 months. What gives? What are ur thoughts?

This is what support group told me tonight led by our NUT. If we as sleevers drink, everything pass our stomach will become necrotic. You mean to tell me that a glass of wine here and there is gng to KILL me? I know a lot of surgeons release their patient to drink in small moderation at like 3-4 months. What gives? What are ur thoughts?

I have never been told that!

No way you can have a life!!! I am cleared by my NUT to drink from 2 months post op. If it agrees with you and you drink in moderation and with caution then it's fine.

my surgeon told me never. He said it passes straight through the stomach and to the liver without being dilated. now i don't know how true that is but yellow isn't a good skin color for me so i'll take his word and keep my liver healthy

I was told in moderation after 1 year, I am only 3 months out and have a glass a wine about once a week and I have never felt "buzzed" or tipsey from it.

My docs told me after a year I could drink in moderation. I had a drink about 8 months out and everything is fine. Till today I drink in moderation.

i love martinis and gin & tonics. But i no longer want the empty calories. Post-op I am happy to give up alcohol. Maintaining weight loss is more important to me.

I am 13 months post op. i haven't heard anything like this about drinking alcohol. I will say that when i drink now it takes a lot less to get me where i wanna go if you know what i mean. Liquor hits you a quicker but it tends to burn off quicker also. after doing some quick googling it looks like alcohol can cause Alcoholism-induced bone necrosis. but it seems what you would have to be a alcoholic for several years before this set in. a few drinks from time to time shouldn't hurt you. hopefully this helps.

I have not heard anything like that either. I know with my program, they want you to stay away from alcohol in the losing phase because it is very high in calories. You will also not be likely to have any kind of carbonated kind either, especially beer. The carbonation is very painful. The only other caution is like mentioned above. It takes very little to start feeling it, so take it slow! I am over 2 years post-op and enjoy the occasional beverage.

Ummm... I think there are plenty of people on here that do have the occasional glass of something that can tell you first had nothing, that I know of, happens to their body- myself included. There are definitely very opposing opinions on the subject but I, myself, believe everything in moderation. I have never heard on here that your stomach can become nercrotic and there have been tons of posts regarding the subject of drinking alcohol after being sleeved. I wish you all the best and Happy Holidays!

After having worked with many NUTS due to my son's medical condition, I can tell you from experience that the majority of NUTS are aptly named as such. 90% of them let their personal opinions override any medical information they may have gained in their five mins of medical training. They make blanket and stupid statements, such as the one that you heard, which are completely false, and sadly people believe them because they have a title and work in the medical field.

If the cleaning lady at the hospital said that you'd dismiss it right? Well she's probably smarter than the NUT :) Honestly, when I've challenged these idiots on total stupidity that has come out of their mouths they fall apart. Total idiots and we are supposed to PAY for their services! I can't even begin to tell you the stupid things they've said to me about my son's needs in the past. My favorite was one who told me to force feed him juice (he was two months old and less than 8lbs) because he needed to develop a taste for natural flavors at that age or he'd never be healthy. Tell me....how do you force feed a baby without drowning them???? Oh and did I mention he had chronic and explosive diarrhea so fruit juice was a 100% off limit item to us on the orders of our doctors?

They're fools, and you were listing to a classic fool apparently who maybe had an alcoholic father or something. THere is NO medical data to back that up and frankly, I'd ask them for the studies in class next time to put them on the spot. Ask if they can bring it to the next meeting with references of course because you are finding that the information might be misleading or some other not threatening style question :) Bet they call in sick the next meeting LOL

Your nut is a NUT!

As to the liquor hitting you quicker :) This is actually not true of all sleevers. I find that it is quite the opposite for me. I only drink wine, so to be fair I don't know how hard liquor would effect me, but wine, while I drink less of it, actually does not effect me as much as it did prior to surgery and any effect I do feel goes away quickly. The only thing I have noticed as a trend, and this is only twice so it might not be my long term effects....is that if I have more than two glasses of wine during a long evening I wake up with a terrible headache. But I'm also able to drive home because while everyone else is partying silly I have sobered up quickly. And I use that term, sober, gently because I don't seem to get even tipsy. I actually don't mind this because we are wine collectors and wine tastings and dinners are a big part of our life. It's nice not to feel like a total lush after just a glass or two LOL

We've been told that if we drink alcohol, it's not an issue of if we have complications, but when. My NUT and case manager worry about gastritis and ulcers, along with transfer of addiction. That being said, not quite 6 months post op and I've enjoyed an occasional glass off wine or beer. No upset tummy yet.

That's completely false information. Yes if you drink like a fish, a bottle a day, sure you'll have issues, (which are not complications, they are issues related to the alcohol, not the surgery). ANYONE WOULD! Another NUT!