Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

True Story "Read with Caution"

My sister and i began this journey to be sleeved in Feb, 2012, I was sleeved 11/26/12. Everything went great with surgery, I spent one night in the hospital, came home the next day was able to get in all my fluids and Protein Shakes and felt great.My sister was sleeved 12/5/12. Same doctor same hospital we had compared notes I told her what to expect, she actually is younger and in better health than me so naturally we thought this would be just as mine had and we would continue on with our journey. It was far from that. She was in surgery 5 hrs and they almost lost her, immediately they hit scar tissue and as they began to cut through it her bowel was pierced, Immediately the laproscopic surgery stopped and she was cut from her breast to her vagina straight down to repair the damaged bowel. Her sleeve was also completed, over the next few days she had problems with her blood levels, her wound kept draining and bleeding and then today 5 days later she had to go back to emergency because her small intestine was about to literally fall out. This time surgery was only an hour everything was put back in place and stitched up and she seems to be doing very well, I'm sharing this not to scare anyone but just to let you know what can happen none of this seems to be error on anyone part, its just an unfortunate occurence, no one could have known the scar tissue would be there covering the bowel and also her insides were pushed up higher than they should have been. But despite all of this she said today after surgery I would still recommend this surgery to someone that needed it. WE never know what suprises life has for us,we thought we would both be home tonight comparing our weight loss, sharing our feelings and making plans for the future, but thats not the way it is tonight but thanks to a lot of prayers, God's grace and mercy that day will come. Dont just dismiss all the risk associated with this surgery, think about, pray about, talk about, and be prepared for whatever may happen.

So very sorry to hear about your sister, on her way now to recovery and a successful weight loss. You are right, you never know what can happen, all surgery is a risk.

What was the scar tissue from? Did she have any other surgeries in life?

I'm so sorry for what she's going through.

Best wishes for both of you for a happy and healthy future.

She had a ceaserean in 99 I've had aceasearean and a hysterectomy.

Hi everyone I am ascooke's sister. Feeling very grateful to be feelin much better. I am still in the hospital but hoping later today will be the magical day my doctor says I can go. On Wednesday surgery they made it clear finding the scar tissue and cutting the bowel was very unusual and that indeed almost cost me my live. On Saturday another emergency arose when a bowel was found out of place! After Yesterday's emergency surgery I feel like a new person. Pain is under control. Appetite is non existent but I have a wonderful husband who makes sure I get in 4oz hourly all day and the focus is on protien. The sleeve side of things seems to be going great. The scar tissue and bowel would have been a problem in any case my abdeomen need to be acessed so I am not blaming the sleeve for that. This was just a fact of abnormality in my body which I pray is now fixed.

I would not discourage anyone from the sleeve as a matter of fact the only thing I would discourage is keeping it quiet that you are having surgey because now I have to explain what happen and I fear it will put a bad light on the surgery to some people who could really benefit from it.

Thanks for the prayers!

Just got home from hospital showered and feeling really good! This is crazy but the stable line down my tummy makes it look like I have had a tummy tuck!! There is still some swelling will be interesting to see how it looks after swelling is gone.

I decided I would try a 30gram premier protien shake for supper. I am five days out and on full liquid. The shake is 11 oz I am going to work on it a couple more hours but worried I will never get the whole thing in! How many days before you could get a whole shake in worried about getting 60 grams when I hold so little and my doctor want 64oz liquid on top of that. That is not going to happen today. I will try tomorrow but I guess it is Protein before liquid if I can't get both.

Thank God you are on the rode to recovery.. I will continue to pray for you:-)

Thank god you are home now. May your road to recovery be speedy. :) love, love, love Premier Protein choco flavor. Heard the bars are good too. :) anyways take care.. keep us posted.

Kapoor,

Sending many virtual hugz your way!!! So sorry you had such a tough journey so far, but thank you very much for sharing the 'real' side of things. Many prayers and stuff for you to have the best recovery possible from here on out!

And my Protein and fluids counted double aka if I mixed Syntrax 23 gm Protein in 8-12oz of Fluid that 8-12oz also counted towards my Fluid intake, so maybe that will help.

Keep us posted and let us all know how you are doing...

When i got home from surgery it took me about an hour to finish an 8 oz Protein shake.. but i will be sippin Water in between.. i can imagine it harder for u coz u had to be cut open and is more swollen. So just take it easy in getting your fluids in... :)

Glad to hear that your doing better, and now recovering at home! You have a great attitude, and that will help in your healing. Prayers for a speedy recovery, we're rooting for you!

It took me a few weeks before I could drink a shake in one setting. Things are very slow at first and that is OK. I had a really tough time getting any Protein in for the first couple of months. The only thing I could get down daily was the Unjury chicken Soup. It was warm and soothing to drink. My sleeve prefers warm drinks for some reason. I was three months out before I could get much of anything down at one time. I am just over 4 months out now and my labs came by good. Just take your Vitamins, rest and drink as much as your sleeve with allow you too.

I hope that you get totally better now and have no more setbacks!!

thx for sharing your story and your family support.... May you continue to get stronger daily. Be Blessed :)