Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Tasting Protein Powders

You're taste buds will change after surgery. Don't spend a ton now prior to surgery. I do recommend finding an unflavored one though. You can add it to anything and you're gonna want it to break up the constant sweet Protein Shakes. Ugh.

I have been using Body Fortress vanilla & chocolate for over a year. It's affordable & to me, doesn't taste too bad! I put it in my coffee in the morning, just have to mix well & I use it in shakes. If you're making shakes, it's best if blended with ice. I buy it @ Walmart it's under $15.00 for a 2 lb tub!

Tallysfunny, Not stockpiling the Protein Drinks prior surgery -makes a lot of sense! Thank you. And to reply to another poster regarding soy vs whey. Soy Protein upsets my stomach too.

My consult was the 6th, I start pre op diet the 13th and have surgery the 27th. Everything is going fast and Im trying to finish up this semester of teaching and going to school and haven't had any time yet to research this. I'm starting to worry I won't find a Protein I like before starting pre op. My dr recommends Bariatric Advantage but I'll have to order it and i dont know if it will get here in time OR if i'll like it!? I would like to find something I can purchase fairly local and that is affordable. Any and all suggestions on protein powders and BARS would be great- especially if they can be purchased at Walmart or Target. Thanks

My consult was the 6th' date=' I start pre op diet the 13th and have surgery the 27th. Everything is going fast and Im trying to finish up this semester of teaching and going to school and haven't had any time yet to research this. I'm starting to worry I won't find a Protein I like before starting pre op. My dr recommends Bariatric Advantage but I'll have to order it and i dont know if it will get here in time OR if i'll like it!? I would like to find something I can purchase fairly local and that is affordable. Any and all suggestions on Protein powders and BARS would be great- especially if they can be purchased at Walmart or Target. Thanks[/quote']

Bariatric Advantage sucks. Just saying. It foams up and tastes slimy. But that's just me and a coworker that had her sleeve done a week ahead of me.

My consult was the 6th' date=' I start pre op diet the 13th and have surgery the 27th. Everything is going fast and Im trying to finish up this semester of teaching and going to school and haven't had any time yet to research this. I'm starting to worry I won't find a Protein I like before starting pre op. My dr recommends Bariatric Advantage but I'll have to order it and i dont know if it will get here in time OR if i'll like it!? I would like to find something I can purchase fairly local and that is affordable. Any and all suggestions on Protein powders and BARS would be great- especially if they can be purchased at Walmart or Target. Thanks[/quote']

You can buy Bariatric Advantage at Daugherty's Pharmacy. I do agree though that it sucks. I only tried a couple of them but it had like a lead after taste.... My opinion!

You can buy Bariatric Advantage at Daugherty's Pharmacy. I do agree though that it sucks. I only tried a couple of them but it had like a lead after taste.... My opinion!

Any suggestions of what you liked?? It doesn't have to be from Walmart..

Bariatric Advantage sucks. Just saying. It foams up and tastes slimy. But that's just me and a coworker that had her sleeve done a week ahead of me.

What do you recommend?

What do you recommend?

I am still trying to find a flavored one I can live with. I was sleeved on 11/20. I use jarrow's unflavored Protein. It's a little earthy. And it dulls the flavor of what you are having so I season my broths or Soups after I add the Protein a little. And when I add it to my Dannon light and fit strawberry yogurt, I add a squirt of fruit punch Mio to it. Really good.

I am still trying to find a flavored one I can live with. I was sleeved on 11/20. I use jarrow's unflavored Protein. It's a little earthy. And it dulls the flavor of what you are having so I season my broths or Soups after I add the Protein a little. And when I add it to my Dannon light and fit strawberry yogurt' date=' I add a squirt of fruit punch Mio to it. Really good.[/quote']

Thanks!

HI I drink the priemer brand vanilla found at coscto. The shake has 30 grams of Protein.< /p>

Any suggestions of what you liked?? It doesn't have to be from Walmart..

You can purchase Body Fortress @ other stores, CVS carries it as does Meijer. It just costs more at the other stores.

Your doctors push Bariatric Advantage because they get a % of sales from it. That's why they have a "store" for it off their web page. (at least mine does) Not saying it's good or bad... Just saying they have an ulterior (or at least secondary) motive in promoting it.

My problem has not been so much the flavor but just trying to get it all down. I make a big 18oz shake in the morning and chug along on it all day. I even don't let myself eat "real" food until I've gotten all my Protein down for the day to encourage me.

I've tried Isopure low carb dutch chocolate, and finally finished it. It's not bad tasting. I've tried Isopure unflavored and it adds a milky flavor to things.. It's not bad in coffee, but it's terrible in iced tea. I really don't like Soup or broth so I haven't tried it in that.

Someone in another thread mentioned the "New whey liquid Protein" it is basically a Jello shot of Protein. 3.4oz and 42g of protein. You shoot half of it for Breakfast, half of it for lunch and another half at dinner and bingo, all your protein. It's supposed to taste like ass but I'm willing to try it just to get out of the all day sipping of regular Protein drinks.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Now I guess it's just up to me to find the ones I like best.

Ugh - I tried that New Whey Protein Shot prior to surgery. Found it at the CVS. It smelled like a large, wet, dirty dog and tasted unimaginably worse. The nutritionists at Johns Hopkins do not recommend those. First of all, they are made with inferior Protein, so even if it says it has over 40 g of protein, you're not getting the full benefit. 2nd, they add that the human body really can't process more than 25 g of protein at a time. You could still spread it out over the course of a day, but the wet doggyness is NOT worth it. Try Unjury's chicken Soup if you want something a bit different.

If you can handle whey protein, make sure that the primary protein source is whey protein isolate. You don't want whey concentrate - a google search will explain the differences between the two.