Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did Your Doctor Say You Could..... And When Did You?

Not to be harsh, but it is a proven medical fact that brain cells lost from smoking weed will be brain cells that will never be seen again.

It is not a proven fact that it kills brain cells. I know with the state of the current news agencies it is sometimes hard to tell truth from propaganda

http://www.art.net/~...no-clothes.html

The facts: Suffocation of Research Animals

The Heath "Voodoo" Research methodology, as reported in Playboy: Rhesus monkeys were strapped into a chair and then strapped into gas masks and given the equivalent of 63 Colombian strength joints in "five minutes, thru the gas masks" losing no smoke. The monkeys were suffocating!

By the way, it IS a proven medical fact that alcohol kills brain cells.

It is not a proven fact that it kills brain cells. I know with the state of the current news agencies it is sometimes hard to tell truth from propaganda

http://www.art.net/~...no-clothes.html

The facts: Suffocation of Research Animals

The Heath "Voodoo" Research methodology' date=' as reported in Playboy: Rhesus monkeys were strapped into a chair and then strapped into gas masks and given the equivalent of 63 Colombian strength joints in "five minutes, thru the gas masks" losing no smoke. The monkeys were suffocating![/quote']

I am a liscensed drug counselor and therapist and it is more than proven to kill brain cells..it is also proven as a source of amotivational syndrome. This does not mean that your choices are wrong. Just like having chocolate everyday..probably not good for me..but I will not try to prove otherwise ..its my choice and people can agree or disagree..same with you smoking weed..maybe it's ok for you..and that is great but for some it opens a door and is very detrimental to other peoples lives..especially the young people here ...so I would say roll with it..do what you do. But you can't it has no consequences..because it does ..just like all the other things people love..alcohol ..drugs..food ..sex..gambling..all have a price. Accepting that and not denying it denies ignorance..;)

I drank caffeinated in the hospital. They brought it to me and I drank it but then they told me I shouldn't, but I already had and it didn't bother me.

This made me laugh lol :) I can't believe they would bring you caffeine and then tell you that you shouldn't have drank it.

Well, the same people didn't bring it. The nurses were the ones that told me after the fact that I shouldn't drink caffeine. The kitchen people brought the food.< /p>

When did your doctor say you could drink caffeinated beverages and when did you?

..... exercise?

***doctor said as soon as i was ready. I went a week post op***

....drink alcohol?

Dint drink so i didnt ask.

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.)

Currently quitted for 1 mo ish but doc said 3 weeks after if i choose to i can.

.... smoke marijuana?

N/a

... anything else?

Sent from my Samsung G2 using VST

Well' date=' the same people didn't bring it. The nurses were the ones that told me after the fact that I shouldn't drink caffeine. The kitchen people brought the food.[/quote']

They did that to me too..at lost you got some in guilt free..lol

steelergirl, if you can cite a reputable study that says it kills brain cells, bring it on. Otherwise you are just repeating what someone else told you which may are may not be true.

I do know that some people have problems with it. I have known people that had problems - I lived with a husband. but I'm a 53 year old woman, I have been using it since I was 25 on and off. I have never had problems quitting when I needed to. I have had the same good job for the last 15 years and I don't live in my parents basement.

I know that drug and alcohol counselors and the drug treatment community see things a certain way and one of the reasons is that they only come in contact with people who use drugs and alcohol in negative ways and don't really understand casual users of drugs and some of them don't even really understand casual alcohol use. People who don't have problems with drugs don't go to drug counselors of their own free will. Sometimes people that would not have a problem if marijuana was legal get forced into treatment because of a positive drug test or because of an encounter with law enforcement. These people don't always need treatment. They just happened to be unlucky.

I have know people who really did have a problem with marijuana. I had a husband that worked probably 2 years out of the 10 I was with him. He would sit in his chair, watch TV, pour him a coke, smoke weed and then smoke a few cigarettes and then start all over. I would go to work and come back and he would be in the same place.

Also consider this:

A remarkable study published in the journal Molecular Pharmacology in 2006, found that this long vilified plant contains a compound with not one, but two therapeutic properties ideal for addressing both the surface symptom (memory problems) and root cause (brain plaque) of Alzheimer's disease. This is an ironic finding, considering that the prevailing stereotype is that using marijuana "fries" the brain, leading to debilitating memory issues.

Researchers discovered that the psychoactive component of marijuana, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), both "competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid b-peptide (Ab) aggregation."

On the first account, THC's ability to inhibit the AChE enzyme, is not unlike the mechanism of action behind most Alzheimer's drugs on the market today. Drugs like donepezil (trade name Aricept), for instance, by targeting and inhibiting the brain enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE), result in an increase in brain levels of this neurotransmitter, which in turn, results in symptom reduction, i.e. improved memory. Donepezil, however, is riddled with controversy due its well-known association with seizures, which likely reflects its intrinsic neurotoxicity. It is, in fact, a chemical in the same general chemical class as venom, insecticides and chemical war agents, such as nerve gas.

On the second account, THC's ability to prevent the acetylcholinesterase-associated amyloid b-peptide (Ab) aggregation, i.e. brain plaque, indicates that it may, as the researchers noted, "directly impact Alzheimer's disease pathology." In fact, they found "Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Ab aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease."

What is so encouraging about this research, and which the researchers described as "noteworthy," is the following:

THC is a considerably more effective inhibitor of AChE-induced Ab deposition than the approved drugs for Alzheimer's disease treatment, donepezil and tacrine, which reduced Ab aggregation by only 22% and 7%, respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies.7 Therefore, AChE inhibitors such as THC and its analogues may provide an improved therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease, augmenting acetylcholine levels by preventing neurotransmitter degradation and reducing Ab aggregation, thereby simultaneously treating both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease.

steelergirl' date=' if you can cite a reputable study that says it kills brain cells, bring it on. Otherwise you are just repeating what someone else told you which may are may not be true.

I do know that some people have problems with it. I have known people that had problems - I lived with a husband. but I'm a 53 year old woman, I have been using it since I was 25 on and off. I have never had problems quitting when I needed to. I have had the same good job for the last 15 years and I don't live in my parents basement.

I know that drug and alcohol counselors and the drug treatment community see things a certain way and one of the reasons is that they only come in contact with people who use drugs and alcohol in negative ways and don't really understand casual users of drugs and some of them don't even really understand casual alcohol use. People who don't have problems with drugs don't go to drug counselors of their own free will. Sometimes people that would not have a problem if marijuana was legal get forced into treatment because of a positive drug test or because of an encounter with law enforcement. These people don't always need treatment. They just happened to be unlucky.

I have know people who really did have a problem with marijuana. I had a husband that worked probably 2 years out of the 10 I was with him. He would sit in his chair, watch TV, pour him a coke, smoke weed and then smoke a few cigarettes and then start all over. I would go to work and come back and he would be in the same place.[/quote']

I am not in a drug counselor community. I am a therapist ..and am working towards a doctorate in psychology ..am currently a mft ...therapist..and have. 6 years of education. ..I have read many scholarly journals..thesis and long-term studies done by doctors and people in the feild of psychology..I'm not saying you shouldnt be doing this..I'm saying that fact is wrong. Lol. Also I will post several studies ..ones I would use in graduate school ..lmao

We're all adults and make our own decisions about our bodies. I was 100+ pounds overweight, clearly I'm in no position to judge what anyone else chooses to do with their body.

Hmm, the drug counseling community is the group of people who work together in the field of drug addiction counseling. If you are a therapist who works with people who have drug problems you are in the "drug counseling community".

Exactly ..your ex husband is the perfect example..you say you don't loose brain cells..for the people out there like him ..they read that and they think..yeah..see there is nothing wring with weed let me keep smoking..I said clearly..people you can..go for it!! But the people like your ex husband read you saying it doesn't killl brain cells and gives them one more excuse not to change

.I have a brother in law..very successful hard working man. Smokes everyday..no biggie! But he knows it kills brain cells..his chooice..I know cupcakes will make me fat. I'm not asking someone to prove it..or say its propoganda. Cupcakes make me fat. Your probably an amazing person that smokes weed..great! .. no biggie..just know it does kill brain cells ;)

Yet, you still haven't told me anything to convince me that you actually know anything.

The Great pot debate lmao Ok I will add my 2bits to this.

If you are easily offended you might want to stop reading right now I am very blunt and I don't see the point in tiptoeing around things. and I am not saying this is you but this is most pot smokers.

If there is no medical reason for you to use it your a drug addict you use it to get a drug high. If you use it for recreation again your a drug addict and you use it to get high. if you use it for medical reasons and have a prescription for it then you use it for your medical need.

I have Family members that are long-term years and years pot smokers. They chose to smoke then do much with there life and are either on welfare or jobless.

So there you go my 2 bits on the matter. Don't feel to bad I think alcohol is bad to ;). If it could Be made illegal I'd vote for that lol ;)