Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did Your Doctor Say You Could..... And When Did You?

Also consider this:

A remarkable study published in the journal Molecular Pharmacology in 2006' date=' found that this long vilified plant contains a compound with not one, but two therapeutic properties ideal for addressing both the surface symptom (memory problems) and root cause (brain plaque) of Alzheimer's disease. This is an ironic finding, considering that the prevailing stereotype is that using marijuana "fries" the brain, leading to debilitating memory issues.

Researchers discovered that the psychoactive component of marijuana, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), both "competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid b-peptide (Ab) aggregation."

On the first account, THC's ability to inhibit the AChE enzyme, is not unlike the mechanism of action behind most Alzheimer's drugs on the market today. Drugs like donepezil (trade name Aricept), for instance, by targeting and inhibiting the brain enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE), result in an increase in brain levels of this neurotransmitter, which in turn, results in symptom reduction, i.e. improved memory. Donepezil, however, is riddled with controversy due its well-known association with seizures, which likely reflects its intrinsic neurotoxicity. It is, in fact, a chemical in the same general chemical class as venom, insecticides and chemical war agents, such as nerve gas.

On the second account, THC's ability to prevent the acetylcholinesterase-associated amyloid b-peptide (Ab) aggregation, i.e. brain plaque, indicates that it may, as the researchers noted, "directly impact Alzheimer's disease pathology." In fact, they found "Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Ab aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease."

What is so encouraging about this research, and which the researchers described as "noteworthy," is the following:

THC is a considerably more effective inhibitor of AChE-induced Ab deposition than the approved drugs for Alzheimer's disease treatment, donepezil and tacrine, which reduced Ab aggregation by only 22% and 7%, respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies.7 Therefore, AChE inhibitors such as THC and its analogues may provide an improved therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease, augmenting acetylcholine levels by preventing neurotransmitter degradation and reducing Ab aggregation, thereby simultaneously treating both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease.[/quote']

Yes..the ingredient..you are correct..you don't have Alzheimers.. they give ridalin to children with adhd ..and I has similar compounds to Meth..should the Meth addict use this as an excuse..congradulations on finding a "really smart looking Article.." I never said marijuanna was Satan..you are defensive and narrow and I don't have time to help you figure out your denial is thick ..and I normally get paid for this

Yet' date=' you still haven't told me anything to convince me that you actually know anything.[/quote']

I am not convinced that most people that get high on weed are thinking about blocking certain neural transmitters that lead to well known degenerative diseases. They are getting high, plain and simple. I do not have a problem with that, but let's not stand behind scientific studies in an attempt to justify a recreational use. That is not being authentic with yourself or with others. Using drugs leads to brain cell loss, plain and simple. It is a fact like the sky is blue. It is not good or bad, it just is.

You can't site evidence for people who smoke because they'll just say its some man trying to ruin their life. No matter what facts are presented. It's like talking to a republican. Lol

I am not in a drug counselor community. I am a therapist ..and am working towards a doctorate in psychology ..am currently a mft ...therapist..and have. 6 years of education. ..I have read many scholarly journals..thesis and long-term studies done by doctors and people in the feild of psychology..I'm not saying you shouldnt be doing this..I'm saying that fact is wrong. Lol. Also I will post several studies ..ones I would use in graduate school ..lmao

Seems like less adverse side effects then sonr prescription drugs.

I do not use drugs in any form...I'm just not that person. However I was reading the discussion and wanted to say there is no proven fact marijuana does or does not kill brain cells.

I have my BA in medical science, one of my main studies has been chromosone research. One of the last studies I did was the effects drugs have on your body and brain. With that said....

Marijuana's active ingredient is THC (much longer name I wouldnt be able to spell out using my iphone keypad). THC is what makes you "high" it will bind with certain receptors in your brain and interferes with normal brain function. Thus the feeling you/some get of being off balance, sleeping, hungry etc etc.

However THC does become inactive. It does not "kill" brain cells. It temporarily alters them. If you (you being a blanketed term) did full research you would know the entire idea of "killing brain cells" started with a compaign to end teen drug use. It did not start in the medical field.

I'd also like to say Pinky's ex husband didnt sit on his behind smoking all day because of weed, he did so because he was lazy.

In the end its your body and you can do as you see fit with it.

Seems like less adverse side effects then sonr prescription drugs.

True...a lot less!..some other drugs have way worse effects..and really hurts your liver..

I do not use drugs in any form...I'm just not that person. However I was reading the discussion and wanted to say there is no proven fact marijuana does or does not kill brain cells.

I have my BA in medical science' date=' one of my main studies has been chromosone research. One of the last studies I did was the effects drugs have on your body and brain. With that said....

Marijuana's active ingredient is THC (much longer name I wouldnt be able to spell out using my iphone keypad). THC is what makes you "high" it will bind with certain receptors in your brain and interferes with normal brain function. Thus the feeling you/some get of being off balance, sleeping, hungry etc etc.

However THC does become inactive. It does not "kill" brain cells. It temporarily alters them. If you (you being a blanketed term) did full research you would know the entire idea of "killing brain cells" started with a compaign to end teen drug use. It did not start in the medical field.

I'd also like to say Pinky's ex husband didnt sit on his behind smoking all day because of weed, he did so because he was lazy.

In the end its your body and you can do as you see fit with it.[/quote']

Good point..excuse me I shouldn't had said "kill"..but definitely alters..memory..and functioning..good post

And I clearly type way to slow on this phone as there are a half dozen posts since I started. Lol

I never said that I didn't use it for recreational use. But you also don't know me or anything about be except what I've said. How do you know I don't also have some medical use? My grandmother died from Alzheimers. My mother is scared to death. It starts way before it gets diagnosed and once it is diagnosed it is usually toward the end. And I'm not saying that the sole reason I use it is to stave off Alzheimer's.

Also notice that I never mentioned whether or not marijuana kills brain cells. That was something YOU brought up. If you make a statement in an open forum, then either you can back up what you say or it is your opinion. If you can't back it up it's an opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion - you are not entitled to your own facts.

By the way the articles I quoted were all are quoting articles published in medical journals. I had a friend who had to go to an alcohol awareness class and I took a bunch of their literature and none of the statements on any of the pamphlets had any references at all. If the literature the Houston Area on Alcohol and Drug Abuse wants me to believe their statements why don't tell me where they came up with them?

True...a lot less!..some other drugs have way worse effects..and really hurts your liver..

Yes, I agree. Most prescription drugs can lead to liver damage if improperly used. If it were not the case, we would have a society full of people high on meds. Wait, we already have that...

Yes' date=' I agree. Most prescription drugs can lead to liver damage if improperly used. If it were not the case, we would have a society full of people high on meds. Wait, we already have that...[/quote']

I want to be high on meds!!! I'm pretty sure it will assist in my everyday dealings of morons. But me and this pesky little thing of responsible parent.

I haven't smoked pot since I was 18 and that was 10yrs ago. I don't know how my doc feels about it. We live in Colorado where weed will be legal in June or July of next year. I plan to never smoke pot again but I'm past that age where stuff like that appeals to me and I have 3 small kids. As far as exercise my doc wanted us to walk ASAP, nothing strenuous until 6-8 weeks post op. I plan to lift weights this week for the first time since surgery and I'm 7 weeks post op. Caffeine I'm supposed to avoid it until 3 months I think and that's the same with alcohol. I haven't drank caffeine or alcohol and don't plan to until I reach goal. I don't want it to slow down my weight loss.

I haven't smoked pot since I was 18 and that was 10yrs ago. I don't know how my doc feels about it. We live in Colorado where weed will be legal in June or July of next year. I plan to never smoke pot again but I'm past that age where stuff like that appeals to me and I have 3 small kids. As far as exercise my doc wanted us to walk ASAP' date=' nothing strenuous until 6-8 weeks post op. I plan to lift weights this week for the first time since surgery and I'm 7 weeks post op. Caffeine I'm supposed to avoid it until 3 months I think and that's the same with alcohol. I haven't drank caffeine or alcohol and don't plan to until I reach goal. I don't want it to slow down my weight loss.[/quote']

That is interesting that your doctor said to avoid caffeine for 3 months. Mine said the opposite that we never had to stop caffeine except for the day before surgery. The doctor and NUT did say no diet drinks. The NUT explained it was because it might lead people back into older behaviors. I did not start having coffee until 5 weeks post op and, if it means anything, daily use of caffeine has not inhibited an effective weight loss. That is my opinion.

The Great pot debate lmao Ok I will add my 2bits to this.

If you are easily offended you might want to stop reading right now I am very blunt and I don't see the point in tiptoeing around things. and I am not saying this is you but this is most pot smokers.

If there is no medical reason for you to use it your a drug addict you use it to get a drug high. If you use it for recreation again your a drug addict and you use it to get high. if you use it for medical reasons and have a prescription for it then you use it for your medical need.

I have Family members that are long-term years and years pot smokers. They chose to smoke then do much with there life and are either on welfare or jobless.

So there you go my 2 bits on the matter. Don't feel to bad I think alcohol is bad to ;). If it could Be made illegal I'd vote for that lol ;)

I'm not easily offended but I will speak my mind.

Would you say someone who has a glass of wine with dinner most days or a can of beer is an alcoholic? If not then why would you call someone who smokes a little on the weekend or at a party or after work every once in a while a drug addict. That sounds a little insulting. I can assure you, I am not on welfare or jobless. And judging by all the grammatical errors and misspellings in your post I would assume I am more literate and probably have a better job than you do.

Oh and making alcohol illegal? It was a very bad idea in the 1919 and it would be a terrible idea now.

That is interesting that your doctor said to avoid caffeine for 3 months. Mine said the opposite that we never had to stop caffeine except for the day before surgery. The doctor and NUT did say no diet drinks. The NUT explained it was because it might lead people back into older behaviors. I did not start having coffee until 5 weeks post op and' date=' if it means anything, daily use of caffeine has not inhibited an effective weight loss. That is my opinion.[/quote']

I think the prevailing idea is that caffeine can act as a dietetic and can be rough on the new tummy. I think it's a "better safe than sorry" approach.