Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did Your Doctor Say You Could..... And When Did You?

When did your doctor say you could drink caffeinated beverages and when did you?

..... exercise?

....drink alcohol?

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.)

.... smoke marijuana?

... anything else?

When did your doctor say you could drink caffeinated beverages and when did you?

..... exercise?

....drink alcohol?

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.)

.... smoke marijuana?

... anything else?

Caffeine and full exercise at 6 weeks (by caffeine I mean coffee). I don't smoke anything so never thought to ask. I can have a alcohol as well but haven't tried. I'll probably have my first drink later on December at my work Xmas party.

I drank caffeinated in the hospital. They brought it to me and I drank it but then they told me I shouldn't, but I already had and it didn't bother me. But I only drink a few a week that are caffeinated I have Decaf at home and I work from home so the only time I drink caffeinated is when I'm going shopping or driving in the car or if I have to go to the office.

..... exercise? start walking immediately, full exercise at 1 month

....drink alcohol? at 6 months and then cautiously

.... smoke cigarettes? NEVER. I'm not a smoker but those who are asked to sign an agreement that they will not smoke after surgery.

.... smoke marijuana? uhm, didn't discuss but i'm sure it's like the cigarettes

... anything else?

..... exercise?

....drink alcohol?

.... smoke marijuana?

... anything else?

I smoked marijuana almost immediately after because it was the only thing that would help with the nausea. It was a life saver for me.

Exercise- I started on the treadmill or the elliptical a week after just for 15 minutes and gradually built up as I felt better. One month out I started doing any and all exercises.

Alcohol- I started drinking wine again about two months out. Haven't had any trouble.

coffee and Tea- I pretty much started on those as soon as I could eat regular food and was off my liquid phases.

I think I am not a very good example but thought I would honestly answer your questions. Hope this helps.

..... exercise? Walk immediately, restricted to no lifting over 25 pounds for six weeks.

....drink alcohol? Six months out.

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.) Pretty much "if you've gone this long without it, might as well not do it any more" though I quit years before surgery when I got tired of chronic bronchitis.

.... smoke marijuana? Given the obvious side effect to this one I'd figure it would be one of the worst things I could do with a sleeve. Nothing like being rabid hungry and eating too much AND of the wrong things to undo the entire point of VSG in the first place.

... anything else? Well I ended up disregarding some of the "get back to normal eating" schedule and started eating certain things (Protein heavy like poultry/fish) way early.

smoke marijuana? uhm, didn't discuss but i'm sure it's like the cigarettes

I'm not sure if I agree with you on marijuana. It has medicinal properties and the smoke isn't nearly as harsh as cigarette smoke. For one thing it doesn't have nicotine which increases the blood pressure and causes the capillaries to contract. Marijuana on the other hand has the opposite positive effects, it dilates both your capillaries and your bronchial tubes. Which is good for asthma. And it doesn't cause emphysema or lung cancer like tobacco.

Yeah, but it also comes with the munchies. I'm figuring a bag of sliders at 4 am is gonna be on the "worst things to consume" list with a sleeve.

.... smoke marijuana? Given the obvious side effect to this one I'd figure it would be one of the worst things I could do with a sleeve. Nothing like being rabid hungry and eating too much AND of the wrong things to undo the entire point of VSG in the first place.

It doesn't make everyone really hungry. Actually, it only does that when you first start using it. It doesn't really make me hungry or sleepy. It does give me the ability to tolerate boring, repetitive, work (like cleaning).

I once lost 50 pounds and was a regular marijuana smoker. Kept it off for about 3 or 4 years. And when I gained it back was actually when I got pregnant and miscarried and then got pregnant a year later and had a baby. And I wasn't smoking at all then.

It doesn't make everyone really hungry. Actually, it only does that when you first start using it. It doesn't really make me hungry or sleepy. It does give me the ability to tolerate boring, repetitive, work (like cleaning).

I agree with you. I am a casual user and it doesn't give me the munchies and it helps to keep the nausea away when I am trying new foods. Not to mention it helped me to keep food down instead of vomiting. I haven't had any negative side effects.

..... exercise?

....drink alcohol?

.... smoke marijuana?

... anything else?

Exercise - he wanted me to start walking from the moment I came home, which I did. Anything more strenuous has to wait until week 6 which I also did.

Alcohol - Dr said 1 year, I had my first drink on my cruise in October which was almost 5 months out. I didn't get any kind of buzz which tells me that the cruise ship drinks are really watered down. :)

Caffiene - Dr said 1 year, I started up again in month 3 but only drink 1 cup of coffee a day otherwise my acid reflux acts up.

Smoking - Dr said NEVER and since I quit in 2004 I have no plans to ever begin again.

When did your doctor say you could drink caffeinated beverages and when did you? I can't remember what the doctor said but I mostly have Decaf tea unless I'm out.

..... exercise? Has been minimal. I was to the point I could barely walk and he too me off arthritis meds. Finally can start walking a little.

....drink alcohol? Drank a glass of wine on Halloween and a glass of absinthe on election night.

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.) Don't smoke tobacco.

.... smoke marijuana? Waited a whole month. Was scared to ask the doctor - asked a doctor that knew a lot about marijuana - he thought I should be okay.

... anything else?

..... exercise?

....drink alcohol?

.... smoke marijuana?

... anything else?

..... exercise?Walking the day I got home. Swimming and circuit training 4/5 weeks

....drink alcohol? I don't drink so never asked

.... smoke cigarettes? ( I am sure the doctor would tell you not to start again.) I quit on August 27 and won't be starting back.

.... smoke marijuana? It makes your body retain Water and slows the bodies ability to make more lean muscle and I don't do drugs so never asked.

... anything else?

Fly out for business trips after two weeks. Caffeine after 14 days I did wait until seven weeks to start drinking coffee.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on marijuana. It has medicinal properties and the smoke isn't nearly as harsh as cigarette smoke. For one thing it doesn't have nicotine which increases the blood pressure and causes the capillaries to contract. Marijuana on the other hand has the opposite positive effects' date=' it dilates both your capillaries and your bronchial tubes. Which is good for asthma. And it doesn't cause emphysema or lung cancer like tobacco.[/quote']

Not to be harsh, but it is a proven medical fact that brain cells lost from smoking weed will be brain cells that will never be seen again. If that is ok for you, then go ahead and it has been legalized in several states a couple weeks ago, including my own state of washington. My opinion, and this is, in fact, my opinion: if you are going to go through the financial , emotional and physical processes around VSG, would it not be best to just be as healthy as possible with regards to what goes in your mouth? I cannot fathom doing anything else. I know this is a hot topic among some, so please be civil in your responses. No haters please.