Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year Post Op With Pics - Today Was A Good Day

1 year ago today I was being rolled into the Operating room thinking that this is my last chance to change my life. This is the last chance I have to get healthy and make a change for the better. This is the last chance for me to for me to stop just existing and start living. Growing up I was always the largest kid. In high school I went from being a 5 foot 8 kid to being 6 foot 4 man wearing a size 15 shoe. In high school I was athletic and worked out daily. After high school my family moved to Atlanta so my sister could receive better treatment for her MS. During my time in Atlanta I started to gain weight .I was sedentary and but still eating like an athlete. My sister lost her battle with MS and it affected my family severely. I started eating and packing on pounds , and me working a call center job working second shift did not help. In early 2011 I started looking for a way to get healthy. At this point I had not been weighed in at least 3 years. I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale and it read 540 pounds. My mother started crying uncontrollably at the doctors office, she saw 540 pounds and then saw me in a grave next to my sister. That was the day I decided that I have to have WLS, I had did diets and lost weight but it always came back. I started my journey at 540 pounds with back and joint pain, High blood pressure, borderline diabetic, and un-diagnosed sleep apnea. I was able to get down to 490 the day of surgery. I am down to 330 pounds as of today with a total loss of 210 pounds. I still have about 40-50 pounds to go but I am more than happy with my results. My life has improved so much in the last year. Physically I am able to walk for 10 minutes without my back being in knots and my joints screaming in pain. I am able to get a full nights sleep and not wake up tired. No more high blood pressure, no more back or joint pain, no longer borderline diabetic. Mentally I have become a different person also. My outlook on life is positive. I have become a stronger person inside and out. I no longer let negative people or issues get me down. I was just diagnosed with MS October 15th. Usually this would get me down especially since my family has history with this disease( my deceased sister), but I just started living again, I will not let this control my future. I am not going to stop living until I am dead- and I am not dead yet. I will you leave you guys with a quote that I live by. Stay strong and stay positive everyone.

"Now we are the masters of our fate, That the task which has been set us is not above our strength .That it's pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance .As long as we have faith in our cause and an unconquerable will-power Salvation will not be denied us ! "- Winston Churchill

These pics are all recent. i have the before pics on my profile

post-19616-1381366080802_thumb.jpg

post-19616-13813660808575_thumb.jpg

post-19616-13813660809344_thumb.jpg

You are a wonderful inspiration. I have enjoyed getting to know you. B)

You have an awesome outlook on life. Your results are amazing and keep fighting. Good luck.

Tara

You have worked so hard and done an amazing job. Thanks for sharing to inspire us all. From this mom of three, thanks for making this choice, and fighting this battle for your self and your mama.

P.S. So excited for next Aug. 1st when I can post, "today was a good day" loved that title

Wow - thanks for sharing your story! And congratulations, I think your mental attitude has brought you so far on this journey!

Thanks. I needed this, and you. My surgery is Monday. You have given me the strength to get to the finish line. Hope I can be half the man you are after surgery. Well at least close lol. 6 foot 2 360 today. Thanks for the update and wish u great success

1 year ago today I was being rolled into the Operating room thinking that this is my last chance to change my life. This is the last chance I have to get healthy and make a change for the better. This is the last chance for me to for me to stop just existing and start living. Growing up I was always the largest kid. In high school I went from being a 5 foot 8 kid to being 6 foot 4 man wearing a size 15 shoe. In high school I was athletic and worked out daily. After high school my family moved to Atlanta so my sister could receive better treatment for her MS. During my time in Atlanta I started to gain weight .I was sedentary and but still eating like an athlete. My sister lost her battle with MS and it affected my family severely. I started eating and packing on pounds , and me working a call center job working second shift did not help. In early 2011 I started looking for a way to get healthy. At this point I had not been weighed in at least 3 years. I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale and it read 540 pounds. My mother started crying uncontrollably at the doctors office, she saw 540 pounds and then saw me in a grave next to my sister. That was the day I decided that I have to have WLS, I had did diets and lost weight but it always came back. I started my journey at 540 pounds with back and joint pain, High blood pressure, borderline diabetic, and un-diagnosed sleep apnea. I was able to get down to 490 the day of surgery. I am down to 330 pounds as of today with a total loss of 210 pounds. I still have about 40-50 pounds to go but I am more than happy with my results. My life has improved so much in the last year. Physically I am able to walk for 10 minutes without my back being in knots and my joints screaming in pain. I am able to get a full nights sleep and not wake up tired. No more high blood pressure, no more back or joint pain, no longer borderline diabetic. Mentally I have become a different person also. My outlook on life is positive. I have become a stronger person inside and out. I no longer let negative people or issues get me down. I was just diagnosed with MS October 15th. Usually this would get me down especially since my family has history with this disease( my deceased sister), but I just started living again, I will not let this control my future. I am not going to stop living until I am dead- and I am not dead yet. I will you leave you guys with a quote that I live by. Stay strong and stay positive everyone.

"Now we are the masters of our fate, That the task which has been set us is not above our strength .That it's pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance .As long as we have faith in our cause and an unconquerable will-power Salvation will not be denied us ! "- Winston Churchill

These pics are all recent. i have the before pics on my profile

Congratulations JMarshall....you are an inspiration! I am so sorry for your loss of your sister. I'm sure she is watching over you on your weight loss journey and on your new journey with MS. I was diagnosed with MS in 2003 but am doing well. Stay on your medication! I decided on this surgery after a lifetime of obesity -- I want the opportunity to make the most of my life NOW.

Do you mind if I steal your awesome Churchhill quote?

Take Care,

Dana

Congrats...you are doing great!

Thank you so much for your beautiful inspiring story. My surgery is next Tuesday. One year from now, I hope to be able to write such a beautiful post as well.

JMarshall, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. Your choosing WLS has put you in such a great place to fight MS. Keep your athlete mentality, get as fit as you can so the MS won't affect you as much. Let your strength define you not the disease. God bless you in your battles!

Wow, what an inspiring story! I know your sister is looking down on you and saying how proud she is of you! You just keep up the good work.

Congrats...your story is inspiring. Best of luck with those last pounds.

Awesome story!!! Very inspiring. Wish u the best of luck on the rest of your journey.

You are awesome and a moving story teller. Your mom must be happier for you today. My son is 22, 6'6" and 420 pounds and he and I are getting the surgery together, so your story helps him see the light.

Keep up the fight!

JMarshall, I'd also like to say, I can see you making a difference in the greater world, as well as your own world, some day.

I love the group photo (on the bench) and, please take another "after" photo for your profile and this time...smile! You are very handsome.