Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling Your Boss Your Having Surgery..

I work for a big company having do with the medical field. There is a very healthy culture around here. I am laying the trail for gallbladder issues/surgery here so that when I tell them I am having surgery there will be no great surprise. There is a woman here in another department who had the band (which wound up slipping and she was very ill) and then the bypass. The tongues were sure wagging when she was out of work (I would never have that kind of surgery' date=' look what can happen, etc.). So, I am opting to pass it off as another surgery and then if questions come later after when the weight comes off (God willing) I can choose to tell who I want. I did confide in the girl who had the WLS and she has been a great resource and friend.[/quote']

What are you doing to 'lay the trail' to gallbladder issues/surgery? I'm thinking the same thing... Being that my coworkers and boss like to gossip so dang much... Nothing is private...

I told everyone. I'm too excited to contain myself! My boss, coworkers, and my staff are all incredibly supportive of me. My marketing director is also having WLS (RNY) so we have been able to talk about the pre op process together. It never even crossed my mind to not be honest with people.

What are you doing to 'lay the trail' to gallbladder issues/surgery? I'm thinking the same thing... Being that my coworkers and boss like to gossip so dang much... Nothing is private...

I've told them I haven't been feeling well lately and that my doctor suspects gallbladder issues. They know I've had doctor appts, had bloodwork and EGD, which would be done if it were gallbladder. I've then said I think I have to have surgery and that I'm just waiting on confirmation/surgery date from the dr.

Is there anybody out there that is 2+ months post-op that chose to hide their surgery from coworkers? Please tell us how that worked out for you. I am of the opinion this surgery isn't something you can really hide successfully. And trying to hide it will only incite more speculation & gossip. Am I wrong? Are people really that oblivious to others around them?

I think like someone else said I do not think how big your company is. FMLA is a federal thing. You have the right to take it.

Actually a lot of small businesses are not covered by FMLA. To be affected by FMLA your company must employee 50 or more people ~30hr/week year-round. You must have worked there for a year. Also, if you work for a huge company they don't have to give you YOUR job back, just an equivalent job that pays the same.

-

That said- I wasn't going to tell anyone, but I suck at secrets so I told all of my close coworkers (I started by telling my boss and 1 coworker, but them I felt compelled to tell the woman covering for me while I was out, and then I told the 3 other ladies in my department) I was blown away by how uniformly supportive everyone was. The only one who even got close to negative was the real maternal older lady in my office- and she just asked questions about the danger. Then she brought me a Protein shaker the next day to show her support.

My point is not to brag- it's that I really would not have guessed at the level of support I would receive. Make sure you're not letting embarrassment (or whatever it is for you) keep you from an extra place of support.

Is there anybody out there that is 2+ months post-op that chose to hide their surgery from coworkers? Please tell us how that worked out for you. I am of the opinion this surgery isn't something you can really hide successfully. And trying to hide it will only incite more speculation & gossip. Am I wrong? Are people really that oblivious to others around them?

One of my friends is 9 months post op and hasn't told anyone at work or in her personal life. VERY few people know. You can't HIDE that you're losing weight, but people that see you everyday will only see that you've lost a lot of weight. I suspect that most people will guess and murmur and gossip but she has never (and never will) talk about having surgery.

IMO people who've lost weight via WLS have a 'look'. I can usually tell because I am used to seeing it... but I think most people will just see a considerable amount of weight lost and won't OFFICIALLY know, but will guess at it.

I found some uniforms laying around at work today!! Bad news is there was only 1 pair(1size from what I wear now) of pants and 5 shirts of different sizes. Problem is my work pants and shirts are $100.00 EACH . I guess I will make these 2 pairs last as long as I can or hopefully more will show up :)

IMO people who've lost weight via WLS have a 'look'. I can usually tell because I am used to seeing it... but I think most people will just see a considerable amount of weight lost and won't OFFICIALLY know' date=' but will guess at it.[/quote']

What's "the look"? I'm curious...

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

I told my boss that I was having surgery and that it was for personal reasons. No questions were asked. Later on a job someone asked what kind of surgery did I have, I said it was for personal reasons, again no questions were asked. My life, I can keep it to myself if I want to!

What's "the look"? I'm curious...

It's hard to explain. Maybe it's a... I don't know! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think when people lose weight rapidly, there are certain telltale signs, sometimes it's just a bit of loose skin in the neck... I could be talking out of my butt, or maybe I see it because I know they've had surgery...