Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Loosing Fast Enough? (Got The Sleeve At 154#)

35# to lose? That would be far less expensive and pain free just to do one of the typical diets like WW or Jenny Craig. I hope you don't interpret this as talking out of both sides of my mouth' date=' just surprised. Getting WLS was literally a life saver for me and required months of prep work in addition to a decision to be committed to a new lifestyle.[/quote']

duh you think deciding to have a sleeve surgery was made on a whim and overnight? wont you try that nasty jenny craig crap and let me know how many days you last!!

Deltagirl,

Normally I would agree with you, it isn't anyone's business what we all do in our private life. Except, she made it public by coming on and posting in a very public forum. I for one am afraid for all those young girls who think they have a weight issue and an unscrupulous surgeon offers them this 'magic bullet.' Can you just imagine a young person with severe body issues having this surgery? They will ruin their life. So yes, I AM concerned if this becomes the new way of people beautifying themselves for a mere 50 pound weight loss at a young age unless there is a real medical reason or childhood obesity.

But, do we know if this was even the OP's original problem or was it more? We don't. So....I don't think anyone is judging here her. We are just waiting for the whole story so that we can support her, which is what she came on this public forum for.

Sorry about your losses.

35# to lose? That would be far less expensive and pain free just to do one of the typical diets like WW or Jenny Craig. I hope you don't interpret this as talking out of both sides of my mouth' date=' just surprised. Getting WLS was literally a life saver for me and required months of prep work in addition to a decision to be committed to a new lifestyle.[/quote']

If you lose and regain the same 35 pounds over 10 years, the cost would then be more than the cost of surgery. I've done Jenny Craig 3x, and it always cost no less than $450 per month, and it usually took me at least 4 months to lose 35 pounds. $450x4= $1800, once a year for 10 years= 18,000. As soon as you stop the program, you gain it back. This is the reason Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and all the others depend on us to gain the weight back. There's nothing like a loyal customer who will pay 18,000 over 10 years to lose and gain the same weight over and over again. Of course, I paid more because I had more than 35 pounds to lose, so I was an even better customer.

Doxieville,

I understand your concern for young girls, but its already taking place. I spent less than one minute finding these. There are a ton of patients from this doctor that sing his praises on these forums. I am not speaking against him nor his practice. I'm just addressing your statement with publicly available information.

Bottom line..if this is what she thinks she needs to be happy..its her choice.

But I don't think you'll find it loosing 35 pounds..its probably something on the inside that hurts. You don't have to be perfect sweety..its too much of a burden in our lives body and spirit..

Sorry, no offense meant by my post above. Just surprised.

I am not offended by the ppl that don´t believe my story. I have no reason to lie and yes there is a lot more to say. I have had the lap band & the plication as well before vsg- (both were removed). I have yo yoed all my life so I decided to end this weight battle once and for all. I would share more if SOME people were not so agressive here- but for the ones that DO support me THANK YOU this means a lot to me. I really wanted to share all this from before my vsg surgery but I didn´t want to get discouraged. I am so happy with my sleeve and enjoing eating less so much! With the band I lost some weight temporarily but then it got swollen at the valve and had it removed in LA. Then after a couple of years I got the plication' date=' and was a complete failure. My new doctor knows all this and he decided to help me...[/quote']

Vssupermodel, I did not mean to offend, especially after reading this quote. You have been through it all.

Doxieville' date='

I understand your concern for young girls, but its already taking place. I spent less than one minute finding these. There are a ton of patients from this doctor that sing his praises on these forums. I am not speaking against him nor his practice. I'm just addressing your statement with publicly available information.

[/quote']

OMG. Yikes! I am going to go stick my head back in the sand. I think i am much happier being an ostrich about this stuff....... Before I do though, I was more referring to the young ladies who are already thin and unscrupulous doctors do this surgery.

I'm going back to the dog rescue world, where at times I can be just as disillusioned but it's a better fit for me. OP, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. I just wish you happiness and peace with your inner self, at whatever weight you are.

More power to you! Yes, I think your weight loss will be significantly slower - though during the first month you lost 15, where it is common to lose 20, so maybe not as slow as you might think. If I could have had this procedure done years ago, before I developed diabetes, fatty liver, loose skin, etc - I would have. Yes, it may be drastic but you know your body better than anyone. I hope you have great success.

Kids...when people ****** on this forum all the time about prejudice they've felt being "fat" it seems a bit odd that this thread is expressing the same prejudice over and over again. She's expressed her reasoning, and frankly it makes good sense. Much like me she's trying to nip something in the bud, she's just younger..she's not 15. She's an adult who knows her issues and her body (and we have no "right" to know it). I don't know why everyone I speak with in this forum decided on this drastic step. I don't need to know. I assume the decision is theirs to make as are the consequences of the decision.

The fact that she's smaller than many of us does not mean she owes us more. She came here for support...let's not be mean fat people to her cuz she's not fat enough for gads sake! There is so much prejudice here! It's actually hard to read. Prejudice against someone for ANY LEVEL of weight is wrong. Can't we treat her like we treat each other? Kindly with some support, no matter her weight?

Can't we treat her like we treat each other? Kindly with some support' date=' no matter her weight?[/quote']

I'll second that.

I don't think anyone who is "shaking their head" in disbelief is angry at the original poster. I think a lot of people who have posted or reading this topic are wondering (as some have already stated) why would a doctor do this when there are other alternatives (jc and ww for example) another doctor would have suggested. Then I think there are some who are a bit shocked how many hoops with their doctors, insurance companies, etc. they had to jump through and some still be denied a life-saving surgery and then see someone (anyone) do it for a cosmetic reason. It just happened to be a person on this forum. I have no anger for her, and she's probably not the first one to do it. If she wishes to tell her story, that is entirely up to her. I hope she achieves her goals.

Please see the other side of why people are questioning her so closely. I see people getting denied this surgery every day. I see the struggles of people trying to jump through the hoops of the insurance company and psychologists, etc. and see the frustration. They're exhausted, mentally and physically, of trying to get through. I think seeing this post could make one exasperated, having so many obstacles in their way and the frustration of having to lose at least 50 pounds seems like climbing Mt. Everest.

I don't see people hating on the original poster, I think everyone here is more sensitive to weight issues than most forums. Any sort of criticism seems to turn into a "you're just saying it because you hate fat people now". We're all here because we had the sleeve (or going to), and we are connected for that.

Please see the other side of why people are questioning her so closely. I see people getting denied this surgery every day. I see the struggles of people trying to jump through the hoops of the insurance company and psychologists' date=' etc. and see the frustration.[/quote']

You make some good points, but to this point I want to say....the OP went to Mexico I believe, making most of those hurdles you mentioned unnecessary. Most of those hurdles are insurance related if I'm not mistaken.

Iggychic, I don't think that anyone here has been mean to the OP. We've questioned why, or at least I have, but I've never judged her and if it has come across as such then it's wording or how someone else reads my words.

My concern is will this be the latest trend for already skinny models? The OP has added more info (thank you for that) so obviously this isn't the case for her, but it sure started a bunch of thinking that..but not being mean to her. I've always tried hard to be kind and considerate on this forum, no matter what the views. I think its sad that when we question someone without being intentionally hurtful we are suddenly marked as being mean. It's called learning about each other and educating each other. I'd like to understand her reasoning and I've said that in many of my posts.

I am 5'2" and currently 152 pounds. My goal is 130. This post confused the hell out of me. I have lost almost 100 pounds and pretty much think that I am some hot stuff at 152 pounds -- only to find out that someone who is taller than me got this surgery and is starting at 154 pounds!

Yes my surgery was to look better and well as fix my poor literally dying self, but I would have a hard time thinking I'm a porker and would need surgery with a BMI under 27.

Back to the original question: the closer you get to a healthy body weight, the slower you will lose. at just over 20 pounds to go, I stall for a month and lose 5 pounds, then stall for another month and then lose another 5.

Update: I did read the whole thread now. I can see wanting to stop the yo-yo weight business and have the tool to be able to eat like a normal person.

It just shocked me because I thought I was getting into the "normal" range. I'm not skinny, but people could not really call me fat either - that is to say, I do not stand out.