Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Loosing Fast Enough? (Got The Sleeve At 154#)

Now I can relate to this pic! Thank you for posting the real you....... Congrats and please keep sharing your journey.... :)

We don't know the entire story. Maybe she has been battling weight for awhile. Up and down. Maybe she lost some pre-op? I'm just saying I yoyo a lot. I have hit 198 a couple times.. (now is one of them) but lost down last year to 145 and believe me after fighting for over 30 years with my weight I would have jumped at the chance to do this even at 145 lbs. Now I am only 5' tall so it all shows. just sayin...

Good luck vssupermodel. I hope it will all be worth it. Just remember as said above, it takes longer when you have less to lose. Be patient.

This surgery was originally created to remove parts of stomachs destroyed by ulcers or cancers. Then it was discovered that it also helped with weight loss. So historically it didn't even start as WLS.

I just thought I'd add a history lesson on here. :-)

My vote is still out on judging the OP. I think it is too major an operation to have as a preventive surgery unless obesity or medical history is an issue. It scares me to think that this is the new future so people can stay 'beautiful' and skinny.

So, I am looking forward to hopefully hearing the OP's story.

i agree at that low rate why get a drastic surgery why not lap band. just my opinion not being rude but i know kaiser wouldnt of done it i dont think. i wish my wieght was that low i wouldnt of got a surgery like this. god bless. and trust i am not passing judgement on you. but wow amazing

Newgrandmother, i agree with you, I am not passing judgement. We all have our own roads to travel. But 'wow, amazing' is my feeling too. Not neg or pos, just amazed. I love learning new things and being given a reason to think differently about something, so I am anxious to hear her story.

before you beat her up....my surgery was cosmetic as well. i had more to lose but basically it was to look better.

Yes it does! I guess since I am about to get the surgery I feel it is almost too good to be true, so that's why I am still pinching myself. The thing is that because I got the Lap Band and it barely made a difference, I am a little hesitant about this working. But I think this is a far better procedure than the lap band because, 1. The absence of the hormone, and 2. You actually feel full not unable to eat.

The above is supermodels first post to this forum. It was posted on June 24th.

It took me 30 seconds of checking her profile ro find this.

Supermodel, since you are a plication to sleeve revision I must say that you are in pretty unknown territory. But we have many band to sleeve revisions. I would guess that your results would be similar. Since you were revised at 154lbs I would honestly expect your loss to be considerably slower since you were already a lower BMI.

You will get there. Keep positive, this is not a surprising scenario at all.

I'm not sure I would believe supermodel's story... just sayin'.

I'm not sure I would believe supermodel's story... just sayin'.

Very interesting.

More research.

It may seem a little drastic to others, but we are here to support each other, not to judge. As for te "slower" WL...it probably is due to the lower procedure start weight, BUT as long as you're following the sleeve "rules" it will at least be steady dropping. :) Best Wishes!!

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

I am not offended by the ppl that don´t believe my story. I have no reason to lie and yes there is a lot more to say. I have had the lap band & the plication as well before vsg- (both were removed). I have yo yoed all my life so I decided to end this weight battle once and for all. I would share more if SOME people were not so agressive here- but for the ones that DO support me THANK YOU this means a lot to me. I really wanted to share all this from before my vsg surgery but I didn´t want to get discouraged. I am so happy with my sleeve and enjoing eating less so much! With the band I lost some weight temporarily but then it got swollen at the valve and had it removed in LA. Then after a couple of years I got the plication, and was a complete failure. My new doctor knows all this and he decided to help me...

If I had known that I would be 282 at the age of 36, with diabetes and hypertension, I probably would have done something drastic in my 20s just to stop the progression of my poor health. If she is a yo-yo dieter, and has a family history of co-morbidities, why not? Did everybody want her to have a BMI over 40, with a few co-morbidities added in? I believe she had a legitimate question, regardless of her weight at the beginning.

I agree 100%, ReadyforSuccess! If I knew what I know now at 51 years old, I would have done the sleeve the first time I yo-yo'd. But, we still haven't gotten her whole story? Or have we and i missed it?

I don't think that vssupermodel's story is anybody's business unless she wants to share. There is no protocol here that requires she prove herself to us nor anyone else. She does not owe us anything and we shouldn't feel entitled to details about her history. She is unique in her history and her rationaile compared to vast majority here. That is OK. I wouldn't compare this to the promo spammer employees from that doctor's office that convened here recently with their highly questionable motives.

When my husband died in March 2011 from an accident I dropped 40 lbs in three months. I wanted a lapband at that point so badly I could have cried.It took the death of my loved one to finally get me to drop weight. I wanted it to last but was so afraid the weight would come back. Then, three months after my husband's death my brother was killed. I gained 60 lbs back over the next several months. Totally opposite ways to handle grief and stress.

If I could have had a bariatric procedure preformed when I was at 178, you better believe I would have done it!

There has been an over 400% increase in the number of bariatric procedures performed just in the last few years. If it is an area of medicine that is growing that quickly, then it just might be that the definitions for qualification may be changing and becoming more broad. In another ten years it is possible that this is a routine surgery for cosmetic purposes. Face lifts, tummy tucks, etc. aren't just for burn victims and they are major surgery as well.

35# to lose? That would be far less expensive and pain free just to do one of the typical diets like WW or Jenny Craig. I hope you don't interpret this as talking out of both sides of my mouth, just surprised. Getting WLS was literally a life saver for me and required months of prep work in addition to a decision to be committed to a new lifestyle.