Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It Really That Big A Deal?

I'm scheduled for Tuesday so I'm on my preop diet and I'm wondering if it's really that big of a deal if I eat solid food as long as it's healthy, low carb solid food. It seems that everyone's diet is different and the diet I was given didn't have a true list just examples that didn't include solids and guidelines to stay under 1200 calories, under 125 carbs, and to take in 70-100 g of Protein.

Day 1 I really stuck to consuming only the items on the example menu and I had the headache from he!! by 2:00 and was in bed by 8. Day 2 was yesterday and I had to work and I stuck to the list all day and by 2:00 I had another full blown headache (I get Migraines when my headaches don't break so this is no fun)... I ended up going to the ER last night for an unrelated matter and not getting home until nearly 11 p.m. and at that point despite the 5:30 Protein Shake and 2 doses of prescription headache meds, I was in full-blown Migraine mode. On the way home from the ER my husband stopped at McD's and got himself dinner and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and then tossed the bun (so I ate only the chicken, lettuce, and tomato). Is that ok or a big deal?

Today is day 3 and I brought a Campbell's Soup at Hand (100 cal drinkable soup) for lunch and a protein shake (I'm at work and I only get 45 min for lunch). When I went to heat up my soup, the entire thing had a freak moment and spilled all over the microwave leaving me no lunch. Since I only had 8 minutes left by the time I was done cleaning I didn't have time to go buy another one. Instead I went to the deli next door and made a side salad with about 3/4 cup romaine lettuce, 4 cherry tomatoes, 2 slices of cucumber, 2 pcs of broccoli, about an ounce of chicken and half an egg (white only) - also no dressing just a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Once again, if the idea is to cut carbs and calories and up protein to prepare our bodies and shrink our livers then in theory, I didn't screw anything up, right? I seriously cannot have migraines every day and I cannot go to bed at 8:00... I know it's only a week but I don't know what to do. I can deal with plain salads and lean meat... it seems to be the no food at all that's giving me the headaches and I'm not sure why.

Like you said, everyone's diet is different. I am on Day 1 of my pre-op diet. My diet is 3 shakes per day, plus a sensible low-carb meal and snack.< /p>

So far, I am developing a tinge of a headache. I will not like it if it goes into full Migraine (as they do) because I usually need two days to recover.

I think a lot of the pre-op diet has to do with your BMI. Lower BMI = fewer restrictions. I was able to eat up until 3 days of my surgery, then I had full liquids, even purees. I started with a BMI 35. Also there's something to do with shrinking the liver and that has to do with BMI, whether you drink alcohol, and maybe other stuff (guessing). So, I don't think there's an easy answer to your question.

BUT if you're Migraines are related to your food intake that is a HUGE consideration, too. I personally would do anything to get away from that kind of pain.

My BMI is 37 but he gave me the standard diet he gives everyone and I don't drink or anything. Maybe I'll call the nurse and ask him.

I am getting surgery same day as you :) You mentioned eating at work, Try bringing an Atkins shake for lunch and do not eat in the breakroom. I take my shake and a magazine and sneak out the back door for my half hour. I found it easier to be alone. If I am in the break room there always seems to be someone else eating real food around me. I also bring Jello for my Snacks at work. I also bring 3 Water bottles. I will put tea or crystal light in one and sip on those at work. It was hard for me first few days. I have to do this two weeks though. You'll get used to not eating.

My Dr has me on a clear liquid diet. I started today and my surgery is one week from today. He explained to me that the clear liquid diet was to shrink the liver. They have to lift it up during surgery and he said if they don't shrink it a little that it would crack and bleed, causing them to have problems seeing what they are doing. Not sure if this helps answer your question or not. The headaches could be caused from withdraw of caffeine. I get Migraines if I quit drinking soda or coffee suddenly. If that is it then it will get better really soon.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Remember will be all worth it...

My Dr has me on a clear liquid diet. I started today and my surgery is one week from today. He explained to me that the clear liquid diet was to shrink the liver. They have to lift it up during surgery and he said if they don't shrink it a little that it would crack and bleed, causing them to have problems seeing what they are doing. Not sure if this helps answer your question or not. The headaches could be caused from withdraw of caffeine. I get Migraines if I quit drinking soda or coffee suddenly. If that is it then it will get better really soon.

I had the migraines as well, which Im sure for me was caffine, it sucked but it got better each day. I was on full liquids so I was allowed some yogurt, thinned out cream of wheat, etc.. Im glad I did it, I really think it helped me with post-op.

Just got the call from my Dr's office. Finally got the final approval from insurance co. Seems like they always want something else. Actually they have been pretty good about it. Set to go at 7:30 next Wed.... now I really am getting nervous.

Regarding your pre- op diet, I cheated on the first week of my liquid diet with a small side salad and restaurant Soup and teeny piece of sourdough bread. I felt bad that I cheated so I called the nutritionist and she said there was nothing I could do about the past but to stick to liquids only. My friend who also had surgery told me to under no circumstances to stray from liquid diet. It was hard, but I did it. The premier protien shakes were pretty good and really helped me say satisfied. I made and ate lots of SF Jello, pudding, and Popsicles. Today is my second day post op and I am feeling that I am doing so well because I followed docs orders. Yes, it has everything to with shrinking the liver and giving the doc room to operate. I would also suggest you find a good inexpensive foot massage /reflexology place and get one, it will open the lymphs and make for a better recovery.

Good luck to you, I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Regarding your pre- op diet, I cheated on the first week of my liquid diet with a small side salad and restaurant Soup and teeny piece of sourdough bread. I felt bad that I cheated so I called the nutritionist and she said there was nothing I could do about the past but to stick to liquids only. My friend who also had surgery told me to under no circumstances to stray from liquid diet. It was hard, but I did it. The premier protien shakes were pretty good and really helped me say satisfied. I made and ate lots of SF Jello, pudding, and Popsicles. Today is my second day post op and I am feeling that I am doing so well because I followed docs orders. Yes, it has everything to with shrinking the liver and giving the doc room to operate. I would also suggest you find a good inexpensive foot massage /reflexology place and get one, it will open the lymphs and make for a better recovery.

Good luck to you, I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Wish I could have pudding or Protein Shakes. He has me on a "clear" liquid diet. Day 2 so far so good....

I am getting surgery same day as you :) You mentioned eating at work, Try bringing an Atkins shake for lunch and do not eat in the breakroom. I take my shake and a magazine and sneak out the back door for my half hour. I found it easier to be alone. If I am in the break room there always seems to be someone else eating real food around me. I also bring Jello for my Snacks at work. I also bring 3 Water bottles. I will put tea or crystal light in one and sip on those at work. It was hard for me first few days. I have to do this two weeks though. You'll get used to not eating.

I actually eat in my office so I'm alone... it's not as much that I'm hungry or bothered that others are eating as the headaches are killing me. I have to work up until surgery and I'm working at home at night and on weekends to get things done and I have a mental job (I'm a financial analyst) and I can't perform with Migraines. I actually had to schedule my surgery/recovery around my deadlines so I don't have any flexibility right now :( .

Thanks. The interesting thing though is that one of my Migraine meds has caffeine in it (1 pill equals about as much caffeine as a can of coke) and despite taking 3 pills (a dose and a half) on Tuesday, it's not touching these.

Could they be tension/stress headaches that are turning to Migraines?

I know pre op can be hard :(

Try and stay positive and relaxed

I hope your headaches go away. They are so debilitating.

My Dr has me on a clear liquid diet. I started today and my surgery is one week from today. He explained to me that the clear liquid diet was to shrink the liver. They have to lift it up during surgery and he said if they don't shrink it a little that it would crack and bleed, causing them to have problems seeing what they are doing. Not sure if this helps answer your question or not.

The clear liquid portion of the show is to clear out your digestive system - not specifically shrink the liver. The liver shrinking comes from the reduction of carbohydrates - most bariatric patients have some extent of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease/syndrome and this is what "unpuffs" it. The incision high on the tummy just under your bra-line is where that retractor is inserted - and its a skinny little instrument narrower than a pen.

All surgeons vary in their advice - my doc has his patients eat solid food (Atkins induction - 20 g of carbs or less a day) with clears the day before surgery. I lost 14 lbs in about 10 days and surgical team said my liver was teeny...I ate a lot of chicken during my pre-op - and premier Protein shakes. Post surgery - I follow 600-800 cals a day, 80g Protein, 40 g or less carbs...move the body and as much Fluid as you can get in, minimum 64 oz.

I'm BMI of 38 and am on the same 2-week full liquid diet as all of my doc's patients are put on. By day 4, the body does adjust. I had headaches by noon the 1st 3 days, felt VERY fuzzy and could NOT concentrate at all. By day 4, no headache and the fog lifted!

I have a shake made with skim milk Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat SF Jello for Snacks and sometimes will make chicken or beef broth for something hot and NOT sweet ;) Also, I got the unflavored Unjury Protein Powder and add 1/2 scoop to my 32oz water bottle with Orange/Tangerine MIO flavoring to sip on all day. I usually drink 3 of these (32oz each) every day. I think this has gone a long way at helping me not to be so hungry ;)

Hope you can find a way to work it to where your Migraines go away. It does get better though...the body will adjust ;)