Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Percentage Of Your Excess Weight Did You Lose?

I was told to calculate by taking the amount of weight lost divided by the total amount of weight u want to lose. Ex...50 loss .....goal to lose 125 lbs. 40% excess weight loss.

I have lost 71.8% of my excess weight at 4 month and 3 weeks. That is assuming that at 5'6" I decide to go for 145, sometimes I think that 135 is a better number - in which case I have lost 65.9%.

I'm about 8.5 months out, down 42% of my total body weight, and at 85% of goal. Another 20 to go!!

Today is my 1 year surgiversary. I have lost 96% of my excess body weight. 100 lb goal to get to 150. Currently 154. 96 lbs lost. I am 5'6" and believe that 150 is best for my body.

I must be doing something wrong. Using the formula on that site I show losing only 29.7% of my "excess" body weight.

With these calculations a 65% loss will have me at 101lbs (16.3BMI).

I've actually lost 29.7% of my total body weight.

Don't think you are doing it wrong, I think Livestrong has it wrong! Any weight above a normal BMI for a person is their excess weight, hence why it is called "excess" weight, LOL. What percentage that you lose of THAT is your percentage.

Don't think you are doing it wrong' date=' I think Livestrong has it wrong! Any weight above a normal BMI for a person is their excess weight, hence why it is called "excess" weight, LOL. What percentage that you lose of THAT is your percentage.[/quote']

Yeah, that Livestrong article is messed up. By my personal and doctor's goal, I've lost 66% at almost 5 months. But my goal is not a "normal" BMI.

Who here actually thinks those BMI numbers are worth spit? They do not account for a person with a large frame and thick bone structure. And when you've been dancing between 350 and 400 for nearly 20 years, as I have, you do not have a "normal" size frame.

I think they are pretty close. "Normal" ranges from 18.6 to 25.0. I think that range is pretty accommodating of different bone structures. I also believe that we as a country are so use to the majority of the population being overweight that we view overweight as normal.

SW 250

Goal 150

Hit goal 8 mos out

100 lbs -100% of excess lost

2.5 years out 165 lbs

BMI 25.1

The standard way this is calculated is:

Start weight - Ideal weight = Excess

Excess weight/start weight = Excess weight loss percentage

The ideal weight of 144 maps to a 24 BMI. So, I am 5'5", I started at 308 and am currently at 194.

So, my excess = 164 pounds. I have lost 70% of my excess but i am still losing.

My goal is to get to 158 which will equate to me losing 90% of my excess.

My surgeon's goal is to lose 80% of excess which would get me to weighing 174

(assuming I did my math right)

I have heard it said that 27 BMI is a really good goal for a person who has been obese for a long time - we have more skin and probably heavier bones from lugging all that weight.

The standard way this is calculated is:

Start weight - Ideal weight = Excess

Excess weight/start weight = Excess weight loss percentage

The ideal weight of 144 maps to a 24 BMI. So' date=' I am 5'5", I started at 308 and am currently at 194.

So, my excess = 164 pounds. I have lost 70% of my excess but i am still losing.

My goal is to get to 158 which will equate to me losing 90% of my excess.

My surgeon's goal is to lose 80% of excess which would get me to weighing 174

(assuming I did my math right)

I have heard it said that 27 BMI is a really good goal for a person who has been obese for a long time - we have more skin and probably heavier bones from lugging all that weight.[/quote']

Where did you get your reference equation.., I would like to bookmark the site or find it in a book for opting. Thanks!

I had roughly 100 lb to lose and have lost about 95 of it, so 95% But the LS calculator linked above puts me at 42% excess weight lost. ?

Ok, I think we are talking about two different calculations.

The Livestrong site says it is calculating %EWL but it is not. It is calculating what percent of your body weight you lost. In my case, i lost 114, my starting weight was 308 so my percentage is: 114/308=.37 or 37%

I have lost 37% of my STARTING body weight. When I get to my goal of 158 I will have lost .487 or 49% of my STARTING body weight.

The calculation I was taught by my NUT was how they calculate the studies that show success rate for bariatric surgery - the percentages usually quoted are 60-80% of excess weight loss. They don't mean % of your starting body weight - that would be crazy - I would have to get down to 60 pounds to lose 80% of my starting weight. The formula for calculating the percentage of your EXCESS weight lost is:

Starting Weight - Ideal weight (not your goal weight, your ideal weight by the charts) = EXCESS weight

Weight lost/Excess weight*100 = % of EXCESS weight lost.

The bad thing about the formula my NUT used is that the "ideal" weight is all over the board - people are not all reading from the same chart! My NUT used the weight that matches a 24 BMI - under 25 is a "normal" weight.

I lost over 100% of my excess weight. I'm now about 5lbs under goal at "normal" bmi :)

You take what your "normal" BMI / weight should be ( for me @ 5'2" it is 110-135 depending on which table you choose) & subtract that from what you weighed pre-op. So for me' date=' I weighed 220 pre-op minus 120=100 pounds of excess weight. I was told I could expect to lose 56-60 pounds & I hope they are wrong. So far I have lost 26 pounds at 4 weeks which is 26%.[/quote']

Dear Gussie! I'm a hairdresser; all that math just made my brain hurt! I knew I should've not skipped all those classes in high school, making out in the bushes instead! ;)

Here's the easy way. Take the amount of weight you have lost. Me - 97 lbs. Divide by excess weight, 100 lbs. 97 divided by 100 = 97%. Way easy for me, but it works with whatever numbers. Don't want to hurt any brains here. :^)