Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op September Sleevers, Roll Call

Ready- you and I seem to be the only ones not healing well. I went to urgent care yesterday because my incisions are red' date=' swollen and itch like hell. I was given an antibiotic to prevent infection but I wasn't able to keep it down. My doctor moved my 2 week appointment up from Friday to Wednesday so he can see what's going on.

Try eating sugar free Popsicles since you can't get enough Water down, they count as water too![/quote']

Ikr, this sucks - my side & the stuck feeling???? I hate this & yes last week went to hospital for dehydration & my side - they did scan - it's inflamed & today @ my follow up appt the nurse said lay a warm towel on it or heating pad so will try that tonight.... & yes I wonder is my esophagus to small & that's why & can it be opened up more or what... She said to not over due it but walk every few hours which I'm gonna make it a point to keep doin... I don't back to work till the middle of next month & I want to be able to eat w/ out feeling that much discomfort... I pray for us & everyone else who goin thru these issues that they will subside soon.. & yes I will continue w/ the Popsicles - that's a good idea to & the Jello - I let mine get warm & then slither it down - lol... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using VST

mdm and ready i pray you guys heal fast. mdm did you call zeladas office. my appt is weds to at 930am what time is yours. my incicison on the left side toward my back is the only one not healed yet and its a little sore.

as for protien you can try premer protien from costco 1 has 30 gr drink 2 and there is your sixty

i started adding my mushies today a few days early had no problem thus far but i went way over 60 for Protein.< /p>

am cream of wheat with nf lactaid (protien)

snack eas protien powder with nf lactaid (protein)

lunch scrambled egg with light cheese(proten)

snack cottege cheese with peaches protein

dinner refried Beans with light cheese or a shake (protein)

snack maybe

i feel a little full but i can eat more. i am so afraid to over eat and when i eat i get little bubbles do that happen to anyone else

half cup of cottege cheese and half cup of peaches and i was able to eat it all. that scares me

i got down two 8 oz Protein Shakes (20 grams Protein each) and about 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese Soup for dinner and two tablespoons of garbanzo Beans. I tried to eat string cheese for a snack this morning but after 1/2 of it, it came back up. I guess I was trying to hurry too much. Not enough Water though...

mdm and ready i pray you guys heal fast. mdm did you call zeladas office. my appt is weds to at 930am what time is yours. my incicison on the left side toward my back is the only one not healed yet and its a little sore.

as for protien you can try premer protien from costco 1 has 30 gr drink 2 and there is your sixty

i started adding my mushies today a few days early had no problem thus far but i went way over 60 for Protein.< /p>

snack maybe

i feel a little full but i can eat more. i am so afraid to over eat and when i eat i get little bubbles do that happen to anyone else

half cup of cottege cheese and half cup of peaches and i was able to eat it all. that scares me

Thanks so much, pleas keep the prayers come'n... I managed to get 40+ protein in today so hopefully tomorrow will try for 60..

Breakfast - 1scrambled egg & 1/2 of beef sausage stick

Lunch - 1/2 cup tuna fish(included egg & small amount of miracle whip/pinch of sugar

Snack - 1/2 banana w/ 1tblspn of PB

Dinner - 1 4oz talapia steamed in a foil pack(added some salt/pepper/2lemon slices

Tomorrow I will start earlier w/ Protein Shake as a snack between breakfast & lunch - anything I eat I get the stuck feeling right now but the fish was good & filling & didn't have me feeling sick @ all like that tuna did earlier... Still working on liquids..

Sent from my iPhone using VST

snack maybe

Yes I called dr zelada's office this morning, I was told not to take the antibiotic until I see him. My appointment is Wednesday at 10:30 so right after you.

Thanks for the prayers, I hope everything gets easier for everyone soon!

I messed up today. I had more Red Mango frozen yogurt (which in all reality I don't think is all that bad) BUT I did top it again with mango chunks, like 4 or 5 mini dark choco chips and seriously like 4 or 5 captain crunch pieces.

I didn't feel completely terrible about that, but I also ate like 1/4 cup of Cocoa Krispies Cereal with fat free milk...and my stomach felt like doing somersaults for a bit.

=(

It's crazy to think that these little things that would've never upset me before have me feeling so shameful.

Oh, and I can't bare Water at all, so when I take my evening meds (metformin, Biotin, birth control and cymbalta (for anxiety), I felt absolutely sick, nauseaous and thus pissed off.

Idk.. I don't regret my sleeve and I definitely don't want to ruin it, but I'm just feeling annoyed by how my body reacts to acts that seem so normal.

Oh, and beside my food and body complaints (lol)...

I was sleeved on the 17th (one week out) and I'm going back to work on Monday, Oct. 1. I was supposed to go back technically yesterday Monday, Sept. 24, but my doctor won't give me clearance until my first post-op appmt which is on Friday, but I feel absolutely guilty about not being at work.

I have read that some sleevers have taken weeks and even a months at a time, which is not a luxury I can afford, but even if I could, am I the only one who is extremely bored with all this extra time?..(extra time that translates to tormenting myself with all things VSG and food?)...lol.. Smh.

Just wanted to vent.

Thanks guys!

I was given 4 weeks off.... I was bored by day 4!!! I feel totally guilty about being home but enjoy the naps when I can fit it in. I am glad to be home for the changing of food phases though! I have not gotten sick yet and I am on soft foods. I am sure I push the envelope with some of my meals I am just being very careful to chew everything really well. Tonight I made spaghetti for my family and was able to take about a 1/4 cup of meat sauce and put some cheese on it. I was nervous but made or through ok. I am having a hard time with Water though... I am soooo thirsty when I eat!!! I was sleeved on the 6th and have lost 25 pounds since surgery!!! I still can't believe that we are able to function on less then 400 calories a day!!!!!

Okay somebody please tell me how you are getting in all this Protein. I am afraid that all of my hair is going to fall out. I think that I got in 20 grams today. What are you doing to get it in? I am a week out. I am also not getting in the Water. When I drink something I can feel it and I can also feel a slight pain in my stomach. I don't know what to do. It seems like everyone is doing so good. PLEASE HELP. I bought the Isopure Zero Carb and it makes me gag.. I have the nectar that is what I drank today and it took me about 2 hrs to get it down. I don't want to get dehydrated and I don't think that I have been to the bathroom more than once today. I know that this is not good. I think that the doc made my sleeve to small because I can go the whole day and not want to eat or drink anything which is not healthy. I go to my 2 week app next week. Maybe i should call the doc or NUT tomorrow.

Here's what I'm doing. I am using Optimum Nutrition's !00% Natural whey in chocolate. I mix it with 1/2 cup water and 3/4-1 cup Hood Calorie Countdown 2% milk. That makes about 28 g of protein and about 14 oz of Fluid. I usually get up, drink some water, get my kids off to school, drink some more water, go for a walk, drink some more water, start my job (I work at home) then spend the next hour and a half drinking the Protein Drink. Then after a bit, more water and repeat the cycle. I work at getting in 2 20 oz bottles of water a day and at least 2 (but my goal is 3) Protein Shakes. And in between I eat Soup. I have found that I feel worse when I don't get enough water. The protein is important, but I figure if I get in at least 2 shakes and all my water, I'm doing good. Things get better as time goes on because I am finding that I simply have to eat to the clock. And drink to the clock. Or I'll forget and my blood sugar will go to low and that's not good.

I think I'm going to get myself a timer to put on my desk to set to go off when I need to eat, drink, whatever...might work.

I messed up today. I had more Red Mango frozen yogurt (which in all reality I don't think is all that bad) BUT I did top it again with mango chunks, like 4 or 5 mini dark choco chips and seriously like 4 or 5 captain crunch pieces.

I didn't feel completely terrible about that, but I also ate like 1/4 cup of Cocoa Krispies cereal with fat free milk...and my stomach felt like doing somersaults for a bit.

=(

It's crazy to think that these little things that would've never upset me before have me feeling so shameful.

Oh, and I can't bare Water at all, so when I take my evening meds (metformin, Biotin, birth control and cymbalta (for anxiety), I felt absolutely sick, nauseaous and thus pissed off.

Idk.. I don't regret my sleeve and I definitely don't want to ruin it, but I'm just feeling annoyed by how my body reacts to acts that seem so normal.

Oh, and beside my food and body complaints (lol)...

I was sleeved on the 17th (one week out) and I'm going back to work on Monday, Oct. 1. I was supposed to go back technically yesterday Monday, Sept. 24, but my doctor won't give me clearance until my first post-op appmt which is on Friday, but I feel absolutely guilty about not being at work.

I have read that some sleevers have taken weeks and even a months at a time, which is not a luxury I can afford, but even if I could, am I the only one who is extremely bored with all this extra time?..(extra time that translates to tormenting myself with all things VSG and food?)...lol.. Smh.

Just wanted to vent.

Thanks guys!

Honestly, I have over-fed/filled my tummy a couple of times already. Felt so bad, that I went to the bathroom to try to puke it up. I only succeeded once. I can't even succeed at being bulemic. Joking!! Just wanted to get rid of what was making me so full.

Here's what I think, for what it's worth: We are not little kids and we've lived a certain way for so long that we're used to doing what seems normal. Even what seems normal for someone of a normal weight. And if we were in extreme danger of blowing out our sleeves we would all be in the hospital under strict care for at least a month while they retrain us. I think if we mess up, or eat too much, that is something we have to learn. I don't know about you all, but my doc only gave me a hey it's about the size of a pen, but it's still swollen. I think we each will learn how big/small our sleeves are. I think we just need to remember to follow that 1/4-1/2 cup guideline (at least that was what I was given) for when we're healed. But I truly believe that it is a huge learning curve here, and we will learn to live with our new sleeves over time. And things will change over time for each of us. I think this is a journey not a race. At least that is what I'm telling myself each day. And sometimes I have to tell myself that each hour. Especially when my kids want pizza and I just can't do that right now. I'm a meaaannn mommy:D

Hallelujah for this day! I am post-op day 8 (sleeved on the 17th) and today I got to start stage 2 soft solids. Still very shaky in the morning-definitely not back to my normal energy level and still not completely comfy with driving my kid to school at 6:00am. But anyway...this morning at 5:30am I started with about 2oz of no sugar added applesauce. Took a couple sips of H2O with it which I know is a no-no but wow that is going to take some serious retraining. It went down OK for the most part but didn't taste that good to me. I did feel kind of warm and sweaty after eating it though and I am not sure why. Between then and about 8:30 I drank 14oz of H2O. And then I mixed up a Protein Shake (my first one!). I used 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop Jay Robb brand vanilla Protein Powder, and 1/2 of a mashed banana. It said to mix the powder with 12oz of milk but I can't do that much. Anyway, it does not taste half bad. I am happy to report! My question is when using a blender what do we do with all the foamy stuff? Do I have to wait and let it settle before drinking it? It seems like that could cause problems? I am keeping it in the fridge and sipping on it when I walk by to the laundry room (yes, finally doing some laundry myself). I am keeping very strict track of my intake today of liquids and solids because I have my first post-op appt tomorrow and want to run it by them. I am still dealing with bloating/diarrhea issues but not as bad as a couple days ago. Hey, no tears so far this morning so we are on the right track I hope. I have been 100% regretful of my decision to have this surgery but now I might scale it back to 90%. LOL! Hopefully once I get my energy level back and feel like a somewhat normal person again that will be scaled back some more. I will not return to work until sometime after Oct 20th as I am an ER nurse. My job is very physical (lifting, turning, doing CPR, running all 12 hours) so I think it is best to wait as long as possible. I have not told people at work about my surgery since gossip is so hurtful. How have all of you handled that? I am also in school right now continuing my education and I started back to classes yesterday. Granted most of it is online but I do have to spend several days in the hospital shadowing a manager in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to that so am postponing as long as I can to get my energy level back up. I am VERY worried about returning to work though because we are so busy and physical. I just don't want to be in a patient's room and get the dumping syndrome, you know? OK, this is turning into a novel. Gotta get to my school work...Later....

Hallelujah for this day! I am post-op day 8 (sleeved on the 17th) and today I got to start stage 2 soft solids. Still very shaky in the morning-definitely not back to my normal energy level and still not completely comfy with driving my kid to school at 6:00am. But anyway...this morning at 5:30am I started with about 2oz of no sugar added applesauce. Took a couple sips of H2O with it which I know is a no-no but wow that is going to take some serious retraining. It went down OK for the most part but didn't taste that good to me. I did feel kind of warm and sweaty after eating it though and I am not sure why. Between then and about 8:30 I drank 14oz of H2O. And then I mixed up a Protein Shake (my first one!). I used 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop Jay Robb brand vanilla Protein powder, and 1/2 of a mashed banana. It said to mix the powder with 12oz of milk but I can't do that much. Anyway, it does not taste half bad. I am happy to report! My question is when using a blender what do we do with all the foamy stuff? Do I have to wait and let it settle before drinking it? It seems like that could cause problems? I am keeping it in the fridge and sipping on it when I walk by to the laundry room (yes, finally doing some laundry myself). I am keeping very strict track of my intake today of liquids and solids because I have my first post-op appt tomorrow and want to run it by them. I am still dealing with bloating/diarrhea issues but not as bad as a couple days ago. Hey, no tears so far this morning so we are on the right track I hope. I have been 100% regretful of my decision to have this surgery but now I might scale it back to 90%. LOL! Hopefully once I get my energy level back and feel like a somewhat normal person again that will be scaled back some more. I will not return to work until sometime after Oct 20th as I am an ER nurse. My job is very physical (lifting, turning, doing CPR, running all 12 hours) so I think it is best to wait as long as possible. I have not told people at work about my surgery since gossip is so hurtful. How have all of you handled that? I am also in school right now continuing my education and I started back to classes yesterday. Granted most of it is online but I do have to spend several days in the hospital shadowing a manager in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to that so am postponing as long as I can to get my energy level back up. I am VERY worried about returning to work though because we are so busy and physical. I just don't want to be in a patient's room and get the dumping syndrome, you know? OK, this is turning into a novel. Gotta get to my school work...Later....

Sounds like you are really on the right track! I really think we do need to write down everything, so we can make sure that we're getting in the protein and the Water. That is hard for me to keep track of every stinking thing. But I'm doing it anyway. I have to report to my NUT anyhow and she's kind of a punk, so I'm just doing it to show her up, so to speak.

As for telling people, I haven't told anyone except my hubby and my kids. And they were threatened with their lives if they told anyone else. But knowing my mother is probably coming here for Christmas and that she will see what I'm eating....or rather how much I'm NOT eating....I sort of lied. Okay, I flat out lied to her. I told her that I had been having trouble with my digestive system and that my stomach hadn't been emptying properly. So the surgeon was going to "run the bowel" and make sure it was all good. And that I found out afterward that they had to take away a portion of my stomach that wasn't working right. She seems to have bought it. But she's not a medical person either. She's just soooo judgemental and can't keep her big fat mouth shut. And frankly, it's nobody's damn business what I do. Alright, vented a bit there. But seriously, someone commented the other day to me at Church that I looked like I had lost weight since the surgery (this person only knew that I'd had surgery...not what kind). I said, huh?, really? What a happy little side effect!" As for everyone else, I tell them that I'm exercising and eating better. Like I said, it's not any of their business. And I figure with the sleeve, we're going to lose weight at a better, more regulated rate than with the gastric bypass where the pouch is so small that you drop all sorts of weight so very fast.

I'm just not telling anyone. Cause no one I know can keep their mouths shut. I see myself say that and I think I need better friends. Or perhaps I have trust issues. Okay, that's a given, I definitely have trust issues. Well. When you tell people something and ask them to keep it to themselves and suddenly the world knows.......BAM! trust issues.

So you do what works for you. If you want people to know, then tell them. If not, then don't. If they comment on your weight loss, then tell them you had an epiphany and are just taking better care of yourself cause you want to be around for your great grandchildren!

How is everyone doing this morning?

I went to work yesterday and wasn't so bad.

Last night I regretted this sleeve, I mean I hated it. I ate 1/4 cup refried Beans mixed with 3 cheese cubes(melted) and a dollop of sour cream, it went down so good I thought okay I can do this. Well this morning around 2:30am I was awaken by a painful feeling in my chest. "What the hell is wrong with me I thought"? I sat up in bed, grabbed my computer and started researching (through the tears that is) the sleeve symptoms. My husband works 3rd shift so he was not home for me to lean on. Anyway I found out that I was having heartburn. Well wait on damn minute "I have never had heartburn a day in my life". What have I done to myself? Did I change one problem and cause another? I am just so confused and hurt. I don't want to eat anymore food for fear of the heartburn because i can't be up all hours of the night with 3 children. I am just so sad about this I don't want to live with this for the rest of my life(No other choice now). And the way that it felt I think that I would rather be "FAT" for the rest of my life. I hope that things are going to get better and I can look back on this and say "Why were you acting so babyish'? Sigh.....

Just confused and venting............

Just over two weeks post op and doing pretty well.

On Friday I saw the Dr. and my incisions are healing nicely and I was given the go ahead to progress to soft foods. I tried eating a scrambled egg and after having all liquids for several weeks, it felt WEIRD eating real food. I could actually feel it in my stomach. I will be making this food transition very SLOWLY!

With three shakes and two yogurts a day, I'm getting in over 100g of Protein and trying to make sure to keep my fluids up.

I'm down 13.2 since surgery. It seems to be a little on the slow side compared to others, but I'll take it knowing more is to come.

Blessings all!

@mommeof3: You are not alone in your feelings. How far out are you? I am 8 days post-op today and OMG there have been SO many tears this past week. I can't even tell you the number of times that I have literally said "I would rather be fat and happy then have to deal with this." I just keep relying on the (hopefully correct) knowledge that each week will bring improvement in our symptoms. I keep telling myself that everything has to probably still be swollen inside of there and once it heals things will be better. My doc said I would feel like crud for 3-4 days however it was much longer than that. But I will add that a staff member in his office who had the sleeve 2 years ago said that it will be at least 3 weeks. I believe her more than him at this point since she has actually gone through the surgery herself. I posted an update earlier today and said that I have been 100% regretful of having this surgery up until today and now it's backed down to about 90%. Hopefully by next week it will be better. I started a Protein Shake at oh 9:30am and still at 12:45pm I have not been able to get it all down. I am bloated and miserable. Trying to drink Water too but it ain't working too well today either. Oh, and I have had reflux from my hiatal hernia for years. They fixed my hernia while in surgery but you know I still have had reflux since the surgery. Yeah, wondering about that too. Anyway, hang in there! Try to stay positive. I know I have been saying LOTS of prayers this week!