Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassing....

The most horrible thing happened to me this weekend.... my wonderful boyfriend took me to the state fair in my hometown. We were walking around and he wanted to ride rides. I was mindful of the ones with belts and decided against those to avoid the horror that ended up happening anyways.... we chose one and i agreed to it because i didnt see any restraints that needed to be used. I was wrong. Of course, i was one of the last ones on so there was an audience for it. The operator tried to hook the belt, tried a seat with a bigger belt and finally said i would have to get off the ride. Wow. One of the lowest moments...... i cannot wait till Feb 2013 to get sleeved!!!! Does anyone share this experience???

I am post op and 20 lbs down. I am making a list of all the things I have avoided and soon we will be doing them all! Tubing on the river, fairs and rides, trying ice skating (in Texas lol), going to the rodeo in 'real' jeans. I can't wait!!!!

I am sorry for your horrible experience, we ALL have them. Try to use it as a tool to keep you on track. I can't wait to go to my 40th HS reunion, I skipped 20 and 30 after at the 10 year reunion this loser who I was always nice to...when no one else was... says, "Well, it looks like you have gained some weight"...We ALL have them.

When I was a freshman in college some new school friends and I went to Six Flags for a day of fun and a chance to get to know each other. There was a ride everyone wanted to ride...we waited in a huge long line for about an hour (so you can imagine how many people there were watching). I sat in the seat and lowered the bar over my shoulders....it clicked once or twice so I figured I was ok! They tried to start the ride and nothing happened. They spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. They finally figured out it was me....they came and pushed with all their might in order to get the lap bar to click a little bit further so the machine would start. People were groaning and getting annoyed. Finally after 4-5 tries they asked me to get off the ride. To say that the walk from the ride to the exit was the most demeaning and horrible feeling I've ever felt would be an understatement. People were staring and giggling....it was one of the worst moments of my life and something I will never forget. Sadly that was not enough to get my eating under control. It would be 10 years before I was strong enough to get sleeved. Now that I have successfully had the procedure, I CANNOT WAIT to take my butt back to Six Flags and get on that ride.....now it's only a matter of time. I'm not there yet, but thanks to the vsg I know I will be eventually. That will be a day of real victory!! Hang in there....its rough but these are the moments that bring us one step closer to success.

While traveling for business with my very small, extremely fit boss, I had "the moment"...I had to ask for a seatbelt extender for the first time ever. I wanted to DIE of shanevand embarrassment.

I sheepishly called out to the flight attendant and then, in a barely audible voice, explained my situation. She stomped to the front of the plane in a huff, obviously annoyed. That alone got people's attention. I will never, ever forget what she did next....she came stomping back up the aisle and in an really loud voice says, "WHERE'S THE LADY WHO NEEDS THE SEATBELT EXTENDER?!"

I've never been so humiliated in my entire life. I wanted to die, sitting there, trapped on that plane with my boss. I barely raised my hand and she pretty much came towards me swinging the damn thing over her head. I wanted to choke her with it.

Instead, I did what lots of us fatties do, I hid my pain and shame with humor. To make everyone ELSE less uncomfortable. I cannot wait for the day when I'm thin and healthy enough that the seatbelt panic will not even cross my mind while boarding a plane.

I broke a chair in front of company...TWICE! Shame, embarrassment, humiliation. The worst feeling of my life. And to think I had to go through that twice before I had the courage to do WLS. I can't wait to get small enough that I never again think about whether a chair will hold me.

That's never happened to me but that's because I've never liked the concept of being looped at 100+mph. I got on one at age 8 and got off vomiting. You'd think that by now businesspeople would have the sense to put in a couple of rows with larger seats if only to up their bottom line.

Honestly you aren't alone I tried to ride a wooden roller coaster at Six Flags in San Antonio, TX. I couldn't fit and my daughter started to cry, and rode with her daddy. And all in front of about 100 people waiting in line..but I didn't dispair..I knew I was working my way to surgery and was getting the help I needed. Hold your head high because soon..you'll be riding whatever you want!!!!

Wow thank you so much for your stories everyone.... so helpful to know i wasnt the only one out there!!! I seriously cant wait till approval comes and i have surgery. This life will be far behind me and ill never return. Although ill admit, relationship with food (or the loss of said) is a bit unnerving....

Had the same thing happen to me trying to ride a roller coaster the only thing that helped there was another guy not so much over weight but just a big guy one place over and he would fit either.

I broke my favorite Ford racing fold out chair that I ironically won by losing the most weight in a biggest loser contest In a car club I'm in. But I had gained all the weight back plus some I was in front of my wife's whole family.

I've came really close with the airplane thing but I'm only big in my mid to upper section so the belt went under my belly and barely clicked.

My weight has been a prison sentence for me in the last few years. I went to Vegas with some friends and tried to get on the New York, New York rollercoaster - yeah, that was a no-go. I have had to ask for the seatbelt extenders, and I have just gotten to the point that if I can't drive there, I don't go unless I have to. Oh! And I won a cruise through work. Have you ever tried to shower in the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty showers on a cruise ship? Not fun for a fat person.

I, too, am going to start a list of the "re-dos" that I want in life. Las Vegas, a cruise, and an amusement park are totally on that list!!

Yes this happen to me 2010 at Fiesta TExas!!! Exact same thing lord knows I was so embrassed. Everyone was watching and whispering oh I will never forget that day. Went too Disney 2011 didn't attempt to ride any rides. Finally I'm sleeved 7/30/12 and down 33 lbs but still not prepared to try again

OHH I do have a story... At our little carnival in our town my 70 lb son and I got on one of those caged spinny/upside down rides. Well, I got on ok, sitting next to him and the bar that goes across BOTH of us comes down. My big ol belly kept it from even coming close to touching him. He is completely loose!!!! So when the ride starts going, I am having to reach my arm across and be his SEATBELT and keep his head from whacking the cage. I think we both came out bruised and he was a little freaked out. I laugh about it now because we came out ok and we have a memory. whew what a ride!!

I'm Joanna from tx and I've been called everything from titanic to blob to fatty lol but you know what feels good seeing the numbers on the scale go down lol and I don't take meds and my knees are dining to give out I feel good

Reading this post- first I started to tear up, remembering my own seat belt extender airplane story, the walk of shame from the go cart ride I couldn't fit in (in front of daughter's little Brownies Girl Scout Troop- go mom!), but by the last I read the last story I was laughing snd crying at the same time! Hysterically funny! Many of us have used humor, mostly self-depricating- might I add, to survive! I do have one (of many!) embarrassing story to share...not only did I break a lawn chair during a BBQ at my in-laws in front of the entire family, I was on a hill, so when the chair legs collapsed, I tumbled, almost full somersault!, down the hill- legs akimbo, skirt up, plate of food - flying! All the while my sister in laws Swedish husband photographed the whole thing!!!! OMG -really?!? I wanted to die! All the children came rolling down the hill after me- thinking I was having fun ! We all laughed- but inside I died a little, or maybe a lot, that day! Can't wait to fit nicely in any chair! I've had "beach/lawn chair" fobia ever since!

Oh My God Holly5.3, and everybody else, uhhh I laughed , I'm sorry but I did. I broke a lawn chair too and it was super embarrassing but hey, life goes on and you just have to laugh when you look back. Gosh we are super clumsy being fat...I can't wait to get rid of this huge body, some day I feel like a whale...:)))) Thanks for sharing those stories!:)