Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Article About Woman Having Surgery

The comments left by people on this article upset me so badly! Is this what people really think of surgery? Grrrr.

Surgery doesn't make us work out at the gym. Surgery doesn't help us choose a Protein bar over a Krispy Kreme donut.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2199738/Mother-fat-son-unable-wrap-arms-round-hug-drops-20st-13st.html

Sent from my iPhone using VST

People like that are ignorant, plain and simple. These people commenting (from what it seems) know next to nothing about gastric surgery of any kind OR people who have them done. They probably are, and have always been thin, and just like to criticize what they don't understand. DON'T let it get under your skin.

They don't know how hard I work to drag my sorry @$$ to the gym 5 days a week and push myself til I feel like i'm going to fall of the elliptical, and they CERTAINLY don't know how hard it is to live on 800 calories a day, even WITH a banana-sized stomach. They will never know. Just.....chalk it up to foolishness and ignorance.....

lol.. they all automatically assume that because you had surgery, you didn't bother to try to diet and exercise... funny how people stereotype. i have dieted and exercised since i was like 10.. yeah, i lose the weight, but i gain it back & then some.. and it's gotten to the point that it's dangerous for me to be this heavy & the sleeve would keep me from binging.. and keep me from yoyoing.. they are just ignorant & think they know everything.. they don't.

my dad used to get on my mom about her being overweight & so he gained 20lb to show her how it's easy to lose weight.. now he's 280lb... and she weighs less than him... LOL :)

so anyway.. people are stupid. surgery is a helping hand to keep you on track.. it's not easy to have someone rip your guts out and it's not easy to deal with pain and sickness and etc..

this is why when i get my sleeve, i will never tell anyone i had wls.. the only people that will know are my doctors, my mom & dad & a couple friends that i know would be supportive... and when i get married, i'd tell my husband.. but outside of that, it's no one else's business.. and narrow minded little twits that hate fat people and rag on people who have surgery to help them get healthy can kiss my butt..

I didnt realize people had such negative and limited understanding of weightloss surgery. thats too bad. Maybe I should have told fewer people I was getting surgery!!!

I dont even want to read it because I know what it says :) Havent we all endured poor treatment by folks who do not, nor have not ever walked in our shoes? Like sure i am going to submit to a major surgery on a whim - until you or someone you know goes through this process and have seen how intense and long the preparation is - how we really have to make changes in our lives post op (or else).

I wish the folks who make those sorts of small, unenlightened comments the gift of compassion for thier fellow humans - we all have not-so-pretty stuff that we struggle with. Ours just happens to be very visible and is one of the last bastions of discrimination that is accepted in 'civilized' society. I would rather struggle with this and then conquer it than be small and mean minded any day of the week.

I didnt realize people had such negative and limited understanding of weightloss surgery. thats too bad. Maybe I should have told fewer people I was getting surgery!!!

oh yeah.. most people don't view weight loss surgery in a very positive light. they think that people who get it are lazy, have no willpower or self control, that they haven't tried dieting and exercising and that all they like to eat is doughnuts and twinkies and cake... they have a very skewed view of things.. and fat people in general. lol most people are repulsed and disgusted by fat people for the same reasons.. it's a huge prejudice.

i used to play world of warcraft & i had a friend that i enjoyed teaming up with a lot & we'd always be laughing and having fun.. then cataclysm came out & we made goblins together & there was this fat mook that we had to pick up on a Quest & he as we were going along finishing our Quest, he out of the blue said: "that's so disgusting.. i hate fat people. they take up so much room, they stick out so much.. don't they see that they are different? they're just so disgusting." and i quit playing the game for almost a year after that... because he inadvertently hurt my feelings. he didn't have any idea that i was fat.. we just had fun together playing the game... :/ that's how most people view fat folks... and they think that we're lazy and stuff if we have weight loss surgery... so that just adds insult to injury. :/ it sucks.

One of the guys that works at the Y asked me about my weightloss the other day, and asked me if I did it the "old fashioned way." I said YUP. Eat less and exercise more. Just like you people have been telling me for years. HAHAHAHAHA A lie of omission?? Maybe. His business? NO!! He's on a need to know basis.......and guess what...... :lol:

Besides the fact that people are idiots (myself included) did the article have a "My-4-year-old-cousin-who-eats-glue-can-write-a-better article" vibe? Or was it just me? :)

When I do my laundry I use a washing machine and a dryer. I don't cart my family's dirty laundry down to the river, beat it against rocks and then spread it over bushes to dry. Yep, I am guilty of doing things the easy way.

I microwave.

I use a freezer.

I pay my bills online.

I drive to work.

I buy soap instead of making my own out of ash and lard.

The easy way is the way of mankind. So what if we have had surgery? Does it make my weight loss easier? Yes it does. Does it diminish me in any way? No it does not. I take advantage of opportunities to improve my life, and that is what living is all about. This surgery was a massive opportunity to improve my life and I remain very grateful that I had the resources and support to take full advantage of this opportunity.

Is it just me or did it seem like the article was written by someone of limited intelligence, and the commenters had the same limited intelligence? The article lacked insight into how the sleeve is beneficial at helping improve co-morbidities, and not just for "helping her son wrap his arms around her". The article was written by a 3rd grader, and the commenters were classmates.

Those comments are exactly why I DO tell everyone who asks about my weight loss that I had surgery. Then I proceed to tell them how healthy I've been eating and then how much I've been cycling and working out, and I invite them to go on a 30 mile bike ride with me on the weekend. Nobody ever wants to go.

I emphasize that I did it to extend my life and increase my quality of life. I tell them that I'm training for my first 5K and that I'll be cycling from Houston to Austin in the MS150 next April. When they see how much better I feel and how much more energy I have they usually realize that I am earning it, not just riding the coat tails of a magic surgery.

oh yeah.. most people don't view weight loss surgery in a very positive light. they think that people who get it are lazy, have no willpower or self control, that they haven't tried dieting and exercising and that all they like to eat is doughnuts and twinkies and cake... they have a very skewed view of things.. and fat people in general. lol most people are repulsed and disgusted by fat people for the same reasons.. it's a huge prejudice.

i used to play world of warcraft & i had a friend that i enjoyed teaming up with a lot & we'd always be laughing and having fun.. then cataclysm came out & we made goblins together & there was this fat mook that we had to pick up on a Quest & he as we were going along finishing our Quest, he out of the blue said: "that's so disgusting.. i hate fat people. they take up so much room, they stick out so much.. don't they see that they are different? they're just so disgusting." and i quit playing the game for almost a year after that... because he inadvertently hurt my feelings. he didn't have any idea that i was fat.. we just had fun together playing the game... :/ that's how most people view fat folks... and they think that we're lazy and stuff if we have weight loss surgery... so that just adds insult to injury. :/ it sucks.

nyxa, that does suck :/ His loss though. I guess thats a good lesson for all of us to be careful of what we say when we dont know people or their background. Although I doubt many of us wo uld be so harsh being that we have experienced discrimination first hand because of our size.

The lady in this article is on www.gastricsleeve.com and I have spoken with her previous to this.. She has worked hard to get where she is today.. Haters are gonna hate.... screw them. She did what she did for HER REASONS and NO ONE has the right to judge someone based on their decisions...

Same old story, nothing new. The comments did provide some needed entertainment though. Its funny to read the highest and lowest rated comments.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

It's famed if you do, famed if you don't. If instant fat, I'm persecuted; if I have WLS (a 2nd chance to make better choices), I'm also persecuted.

So I say EFF 'em!!! ;)