Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Get Enough Water/protein In... Tips?

Hi everyone!

My name's Elle and I'm new to the site! I've spent a lot of time reading (by reading, yea, I mean lurking :P ) and have learned a ton.

I was sleeved on 9/5 and have been home since Friday. I'm having a hard time getting in enough Protein and enough Water for the day... It seems almost impossible for me to get 80g of Protein AND 64oz of Water. None of it gives me intolerable nausea, but I feel full instantly and just don't have the appetite (I never thought I'd say that - EVER!).

I keep thinking it might just be because I had it done not too long ago but I'm not sure. I've been searching for a "meal plan" or schedule type thing to go by but can't seem to find one.

Moving around, exercising, Vitamins, etc etc is all where I should be but it's just the protein and water intake.

Any advice or tips would be so greatly appreciated!!! TIA!

Oh, I've been getting in maybe 35-40g protein and 24-30oz water daily.

When I was early out like you, I had to use a timer and I concentrated on drinking one ounce every 15 minutes while I was awake. I used a measuring cup like a little pitcher and shot glass for my drinking glass. I spent the whole day sip, sip, sip to get my fluids in.

I got about 55 grams of Protein per day at first. Mostly through powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein powder. I did not tolerate other Protein powders well at first.

Lynda

I'm too struggling with my Water intake. I'm currently managing only 1lt (33fl oz) and I'm supposed to be having 2lt (67fl oz). I drink from a 1lt water bottle with just a touch of either lemon juice or cordial to help it go down a bit easier. Plain Water just doesn't taste right anymore.

Protein wise, also not enough. Must rectify both of these.

You are still very early out... Give it sometime. I couldn't get it all in for the first 2 weeks at least. Maybe a little longer. Be patient.

Hi Robyn! I'm on liquids right now so it's a lot of broths and strained Soup. I can also do yogurt, Jello and pudding along with popsicles too. My main source of Protein should be coming from the shakes - 2 servings a day. I've been able to drink a tad under that. I just picked up flavorless Protein and added that to some Soup and that did help to get extra protein in with the soup.

I LOVE the timer idea, Lynda! I will be testing that out tomorrow.

Nessa, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the water! I add crystal light to my Water to make it go down easier. I'm with you on working on this!

Thanks, BoBann! I'm just so worried about doing something "wrong".

Everything that you consume that is "liquid" counts towards your liquid volume for the day...not just Water. So make sure most of your liquids contain Protein. Add unjury unflavored Protein Powder to every broth, Soup, or flavored liquid; use the chicken broth flavored Unjury powder in Water, or in canned chicken broth; add Syntrax nectar powder to plain water; drink Protein shakes (chocolate Muscle Milk Lite is my favorite). Get double the bang for every swallow as much as possible, and you'll be more likely to meet both goals.

Best of luck!

Laura

Did your doc/post-diet specify Protein the first week? Mine, and many others here, didn't have to get the protein down until week 2. However, do what YOUR doctor has recommeded.

Hi there..

I am 2 weeks out and YES the first week is the worst. According to my nurse you are "supposed" to be able to hole 3oz after the surgery but bc of all the trama your tummy and esophogus went throu it is swollen so you more than likely only can consume 2 oz at a time or 3 oz pushing it this week. next week gets better. You also may feel pain when you swollow more than a little sip bc your esophogus is swollen. Here's what I do...

I make my shake the night before so it tastes more like a Protein shake.< /p>

I have 3oz first thing in the morning with my Vitamins. Then a half hour later I have 3 oz of Water, Then every half hour I have 3 oz of Water for 3x. Then I have my second 3oz dose of Protein shake. I have the shake over ice so as the ice melts i am also consuming water. Then i have 4 more doses of 3 oz every half hour and then it's "lunch time" when I have just my broth. ( water). Half hour later I start my 3oz every half hour again. Here's an example. Everything is usually 3oz.

7am shake

8:00 water

8:30 water

9:00 water

9:30 water

10:00 shake

11:00 water

11:30 water

12:00 water

12:30 water

1:00 broth ( less fulling so I have water sooner after)

1:30 water

2:00 water

2:30 water

3:00 water

3:30 shake

4:30 water

5:00 water

5:30 water

6:00 water

6:30 shake

7:30 water

8:00 water

8:30 water

9:00 water

9:30 sugar free ice Pop

10:00 water

11:00 Last shake

By now you have consumed : 2 scoops of Protein powder in 15-16 oz 1%milk

63 oz of water (w crystal lite) plus water in broth and ice from shake

PLUS one tasty sugar free Ice Pop treat !!

Good Luck

Hi everyone!

My name's Elle and I'm new to the site! I've spent a lot of time reading (by reading' date=' yea, I mean lurking :P ) and have learned a ton.

I was sleeved on 9/5 and have been home since Friday. I'm having a hard time getting in enough Protein and enough Water for the day... It seems almost impossible for me to get 80g of Protein AND 64oz of Water. None of it gives me intolerable nausea, but I feel full instantly and just don't have the appetite (I never thought I'd say that - EVER!).

I keep thinking it might just be because I had it done not too long ago but I'm not sure. I've been searching for a "meal plan" or schedule type thing to go by but can't seem to find one.

Moving around, exercising, Vitamins, etc etc is all where I should be but it's just the protein and water intake.

Any advice or tips would be so greatly appreciated!!! TIA!

Oh, I've been getting in maybe 35-40g protein and 24-30oz water daily.[/quote']

I mix applesauce with unflavored protein. 21 grams in each scoop. Im still working on getting enough water. I get full fast.

9/5 as in you are in your first week post op? The only think you should be concerned with is liquid intake and healing in this stage. I didn't and was told not to concentrate on Protein intake until I could have full liquids and solids. Give your body time to heal first then focus on protein you will have plenty of time for that. Just stay hydrated that is the most important thing at this stage in your sleeve process.

Same here, first week don't worry about Protein just Clear Liquids mainy Water. Second week for me move to full liquids, which is where I am now. I have questions about feeling "full". Clear liquids did not make me feel full but full liquids, shakes, creamy Soups, do make me feel full. Is it normal to feel the restriction on Protein Shakes? and 1/2 cp creamy Soup? What is the ratio for protein powder? So for 1 can of soup and 1 can of milk = 2 cups, how much protein powder?

My doctor said don't worry about it. Your are still new and it is all a learning experience. It all gets better. Although it seems like "what did I do" it does get better...Good luck!

Thank everyone for your support and suggestions!

I have been adding a bit of unflavored Protein powder to everything I eat and drink so I'm slowly getting close to what my goal is. I have to keep telling myself I'm just starting out and it's a process. Thanks again for the responses!

Karen, I've been adding Protein to everything and after the shakes, I still need about 40g of protein so what I do is grab a small tupperware, put two scoops of protein in it (42g) and just sprinkle/scoop some in whatever I'm eating. I make big batches of Soup and use about a tablespoon in a 4oz serving.

OK thanks