Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To The Moms Out There

Here is a question to the moms out there, especially moms of small kids/babies. I have been contemplating getting the sleeve and have my consultation on the 20th. I have a 6yr old, 4yr old and a 3 month old. I have been struggling my whole life with weight and have had enough. My biggest reason for getting this done is so I can be the best & healthiest mom my kids deserve. My question is, should I hold off since my youngest is 3 mos? I of course feel extreme guilt because I would have to be out of commission for a couple of weeks. Any insight is very appreciated so I can make a good decision.

Hey Luv, I'm a mom of a 15 mth old ACTIVE lil boy. if you had a c-section my doctor told me I had to wait a year, so a year a some later, I'm scheduled for 10/4!!!! The big thing is you are suppose to lift anything more than 5 pds......but talk with your surgeon and see what they recommend. Also, your suppose to allow 2 yrs to allow your body to recover b/f additional kids.

Thanks. I didn't have a c-section with any of my kids and healed very quick with all of my pregnancies. I don't plan to have any more little blessings:-) . I'm very curious to see what the surgeon says. Thanks so much for ur insight

I have a 6 year old and twin 3 year olds. I had my surgery for the exact same reason you did. I had my surgery on Friday 7/27 and my husband went back to work Monday. I was slow for the first week but after that I was fine. I would just plan on not driving for a while. Sitting up straight for to long seemed to bother me a little. My only concern would be if you are breastfeeding. If so, you might have to have enough "stock" until you get off your pain meds...

i'm not a mom, but were i in your shoes, i would actually go ahead & get the surgery, because your kids are young... they won't really remember much of you being sore & it would only be for a short time.. and then you'll start losing your weight & be thin & fit within a couple years have the rest of your time being a thin, fit, happy mom that can keep up with them & do fun things with them before they get too old and it's too late for you to enjoy them. right now they're young enough to where you can change their eating habits so that they don't end up fat & unhealthy & you can take them out & do fun activities with them.. like going to the beach or lake & swimming, kayaking, ride on bike trails, take them hiking & fishing & run around & play with them in the park & walk around the zoo & do all the fun things that ACTIVE, FIT people and families do.. y'know what i mean?.. they can have a whole new life, a fit, exciting life, & will never have to worry about becoming overweight, because you got the surgery & got in shape NOW.. rather than later & taught them how to eat healthy & how to be active & get them away from the TV & video games & computer.. their social skills will also improve and they'll be really well rounded, productive citizens of the world.. what more could you ask for? :) just my 2 cents! :)

also, you may feel guilty about the 3 month old.. but s/he won't know and won't remember. lol and it wouldn't be for a long time.. all that they'll know is that you're a healthy, fit, beautiful princess of a mom that they love & they will remember having a fun, activity-filled childhood with. :) you'll be able to fit into seats at movies and theater and could get them involved in community theater or whatever & really make a huge impact on them while they're still little & their minds are still receptive to what you have to say..

My Nephew was 5 weeks old when i had surgery, When my sister went back to work a week later i started watching him. I could hold him, carry him and lay him in his bassinet but i couldn't bend down to pick him up. My 12 year old had to help by picking him up and handing him to me for about 3 weeks. So if you are going to have the surgery with your baby so young i would recommend having someone available to help you for at least a few weeks.

Thank you and I appreciate your 2 cents. :-) This is exactly why I want the surgery, so I will be able to enjoy life to the fullest. I have always been self conscious but I am now realizing instead of holding myself back, I am holding my kids back. They don't deserve that. I can't wait for my appointment.

I started this journey when my daughter was 6 months. She is now almost one year old, which means much more active and needs picked up (rather than cuddled) more. I think when your baby is younger is better. Your little one is lighter and less active, which would make the entire deal easier.

My concern would be breast feeding (if you are). Thankfully my daughter naturally weened herself. But how will these nutritional changes influence te quality of your milk? What about the medication in your supply?

So great to hear from other Mama's!! :)

Wishing you best!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I too did this for my daughter she's 15 months and so active, healthy, amazing and I want to be around for everything with her. I was out of commission about 5 days to

include my 3 in the hospital. I was sleeved on a Wednesday and by the next Monday I was up and around just a little slower. the thing that helped me the most is to say to myself she won't remember those 5 days I couldnt hold her but she will remember every other day of her

life when we can run and play and go to parks and all that fun stuff :)

Im not breast feeding anymore since I am now back to work. How are you feeling now and how are you adjusting with having 3 kids?

The first couple weeks are rough when you are doing the whole liquid/pureed but now that I am 5 weeks out, I am feeling a lot better. I can eat most things that the family can eat. I have a TON more energy and you learn quickly what you can and can't eat anymore. The kids knew that I had surgery and were very careful not to jump on my tummy. Feel free to email with ANY questions you have.. Good Luck!!!

I am in a similar situation, I have 4 kids, my youngest is 13 months. I just made some simple preparations, like making sure I had diapers up and down stairs, I also have a 2 year old, so I mad him a little set of steps to his crib and have been teaching him to get in and out using those.

I am getting sleeved in 2 days and hope I have prepared enough for that area of life! My surgeon also allows up to 20lbs lifted. My 13 month old is 20.4lbs, so I am just going to be extra careful and rest whenever I can.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!