Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi guys! i was sleeved 1 week ago tomorrow and i am so depressed! im already on prozac and klonopin. i keep thinking WHAT DID I DO TO MYSELF? i had plenty of valid reasons going in but now im wondering if i did the right thing. i have basically no support system and feel very lonely! it would be nice to have some fellow sleevers as friends but its hard enough finding regular friends! no i dont live in the middle of nowhere, im in san antonio FYI. physically im feeling really well and handle surgery and recovery like a champ. this depression is kicking my butt! can anyone relate or offer words of advice? i will be going to a psychiatrist very soon because depression bites!

I know it's hard. Your body just went through a major trauma, and change. But you need to look at the big picture and remember why you went through what you did. You did it for you... for your health, and your happiness. It may seem overwhelming right now. But things will get better eventually. You have to just give it a little time for your body and mind both to come to terms with whats actually happened over the last week or so.. You're already doing great, you've been one of the fortunate ones to have a flawless recovery. That's something to be very happy about right there!

it is not unusual to have a "Let-down" period and or depression after surgery of any kind. But going to a psychiatrist is always a good decision if you feel like you need it. We All could use a psychiatrist truth be known... I'm 5 days out and i'm having a jet-lagged, let-down period that started yesterday...I think it will lift when i'm feeling better. I went for a few short walks yesterday and today and it helped alot. Trying to gain support from family/friends/and these forums...Hang in there it will lift soon hopefully...

Hi! I was also sleeved 1 week tomorrow and I'm soooo depressed. I cry over anything but the main thing is I gained 8lbs right after surgery.:( I have only lost 3lbs of that. I just upsets me so much that I did this and Its not going to work for me. I'm not eating other than my protien shake and sf Jello and sf pudding made with my protien shake mix. I might not be getting all my Water but every thing else I'm doing like my dr. told me to do. I hear so many people that's lost 10lbs the first week and I'm still 5lbs up. What I'm I don't wrong? I also take zoloft and I'm ready to double my dose just to get though this. Thanks Belinda

Hi! I was also sleeved 1 week tomorrow and I'm soooo depressed. I cry over anything but the main thing is I gained 8lbs right after surgery.:( I have only lost 3lbs of that. I just upsets me so much that I did this and Its not going to work for me. I'm not eating other than my protien shake and sf Jello and sf pudding made with my protien shake mix. I might not be getting all my Water but every thing else I'm doing like my dr. told me to do. I hear so many people that's lost 10lbs the first week and I'm still 5lbs up. What I'm I don't wrong? I also take zoloft and I'm ready to double my dose just to get though this. Thanks Belinda

The first week or two you have to drop all the Water weight from the surgery itself. So don't stress that. You aren't doing anything wrong. It took me two weeks. I'm at four weeks now and have been in a stall for a week and a half. Very frustrating but my pants fell off when I walked out of the house so I know I'm loosing inches. I was depressed for the first two and a half weeks. I was told it is due to the rapid release of estrogen from burning fat. Makes sense. Just cut yourself a break and take care of yourself! You will do great!

I totally agree with Nate: you gotta relax and remember that physical trauma to the bod absolutely manifests itself mentally...Let's also remember that we are people with addictions to food....divorcing the food by diet or surgery doesnt change our heads...only time and behavior mod can do that. You gotta give yourself some time to heal and remember why you did this in the first place. You have many reasons, as do all of us, for wanting to be healthy.

I can tell you another thing, Klonopins can be heavy, so be really careful with those if they're new to you, or not new: losing weight can amplify the effects so don't over-do it....

This site has lots of great info, but make sure you keep in touch with your docs and therapists....and I bet there's a sleevers group in San Anton....google it and you can meet and talk with others that have had WLS and are feeling similar to you.

Good luck! Keep us posted...you're gonna do great B)

belinda, thank you so much for sharing! to ease your mind about the weight gain... i gained 10 lbs in the hospital after surgery! my doc said it was normal. its all the Fluid that was pumped into you and what your body is holding onto from swelling... from how i understood it. the good news is my wedding band is loose now. so that gained stuff will come off very soon! hang in there belinda!

The first week or two you have to drop all the Water weight from the surgery itself. So don't stress that. You aren't doing anything wrong. It took me two weeks. I'm at four weeks now and have been in a stall for a week and a half. Very frustrating but my pants fell off when I walked out of the house so I know I'm loosing inches. I was depressed for the first two and a half weeks. I was told it is due to the rapid release of estrogen from burning fat. Makes sense. Just cut yourself a break and take care of yourself! You will do great!

Thanks Susan That makes sense my husband keep telling me the same thing but I hear everyone else lossing the first week it just makes me depressed thinking what the heck did I do.

Hi! I was also sleeved 1 week tomorrow and I'm soooo depressed. I cry over anything but the main thing is I gained 8lbs right after surgery. :( I have only lost 3lbs of that. I just upsets me so much that I did this and Its not going to work for me. I'm not eating other than my protien shake and sf Jello and sf pudding made with my protien shake mix. I might not be getting all my Water but every thing else I'm doing like my dr. told me to do. I hear so many people that's lost 10lbs the first week and I'm still 5lbs up. What I'm I don't wrong? I also take zoloft and I'm ready to double my dose just to get though this. Thanks Belinda

Hi Belinda, I gained 10 lbs after surgery and it took me 2-3 wks to get that off. Shortly thereafter, the weight started melting off. That is until my 6 month stall that lasted 10 weeks. I was beginning to get depressed until I started reading the forums. I learned several things: 1) don't compare yourself to others cause everybody is different; 2) you wouldn't be where you are without wls; 3) stalls happen. there are others but they only pertain to my situation. So hang in there.

Lizzybean....hang in there too! Everyone has gone thru depression at one or more points on their journey. This too shall pass. At least you recognize your problem and getting help for it. I'll keep you in my prayers. And remember...you have plenty of friends to talk to on these forums.

belinda, thank you so much for sharing! to ease your mind about the weight gain... i gained 10 lbs in the hospital after surgery! my doc said it was normal. its all the Fluid that was pumped into you and what your body is holding onto from swelling... from how i understood it. the good news is my wedding band is loose now. so that gained stuff will come off very soon! hang in there belinda!

Thank you for your post also! Wow your wedding band is loose! That is Awesome!! I just want to lose like everyone else. I don't want to be a failer. Good Luck to you! and Thank You Lizzybean

Thanks Susan That makes sense my husband keep telling me the same thing but I hear everyone else lossing the first week it just makes me depressed thinking what the heck did I do.

I know! I gained back 16 lbs in Fluid I had to losoe again. It was very disconcerting because I didn't expect it. I don't think I was warned about it. I don't doubt my decision, but I did doubt my progress too. I know I just have to be patient. I know I will be successful, I just have to wait for my body to get out of shock and catch up with itself. You will do great and we will look FABULOUS when all is said and done.

I am 10 months out and down 152 pounds. The first few weeks i would not focus on anything weight related. focus on healing and getting Protein and liquid requirement. it is normal to have some depression and some doubts, i had some depression because i had to come to terms with my monsters. Looking in the mirror and judging ourselves is the hardest thing to do. your sleeve is healing but you must heal mentally also. The sleeve is merely a tool for weight issues but not a fix. in order to be successful you must come to terms with your mental demons. Once you come to terms with your mental demons than you can move on and just focus on the physical part. VST is a great place for advise and support. You have come to the right place. Stay strong and stay positive.

I gained 13 lbs. of Fluid and took a couple of weeks to work its way out and I was good to drink 64 oz,. of Water a day and walk every day. Plus, I was an emotional hot mess right after surgery and about scared my mom and hubby to death by bursting into tears after having what I thought was a fart that turned out to not be. (First rule, never trust a fart the first few months!),

One day before you know it you will be sitting in your chair at goal weight, rocking your way smaller clothes and the way the dog can now easily fit in the chair with you, answering a post about how bad someone feels post op. :-)

Be kind to yourself. Its a slow and hard journey, but so worth it!

Lynda

hi guys! i was sleeved 1 week ago tomorrow and i am so depressed! im already on prozac and klonopin. i keep thinking WHAT DID I DO TO MYSELF? i had plenty of valid reasons going in but now im wondering if i did the right thing. i have basically no support system and feel very lonely! it would be nice to have some fellow sleevers as friends but its hard enough finding regular friends! no i dont live in the middle of nowhere' date=' im in san antonio FYI. physically im feeling really well and handle surgery and recovery like a champ. this depression is kicking my butt! can anyone relate or offer words of advice? i will be going to a psychiatrist very soon because depression bites![/quote']

I live in San Antonio but I am Pre Op.... Where were you sleeved?I met with a good Psychologist who has had WLS herself her name is Dr. Berton she is here in SA.Friend request me, as I can't figure how to do so on my phone:)

What you are feeling is NORMAL. We ALL felt this way after our first week. Below is a link to a blog entry I wrote just 1 week after my surgery. It's called Buyer's Remorse: http://jfabulous43.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/buyers-remorse/

I hope it helps you realize that you are no different. This feeling does go away about as fast as it came. I have not regretted my decision since! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to email me at jfabulous43@gmail.com.