Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeve At 250 Pnds

HI my name is Mindy and I just started the journey. I am excited and yet I feel I have travelled to the unknown. I want this surgery so bad because I want a new life. I am 47 years old and have been told so often that I don't look my age, to be honest I don't feel it either. I have met with the surgeon, the nurse and in a couple of weeks I meet with the dietician. The doctor wants me to lose 25-30 pounds before the surgery and Im terrified I am not going to be able to do it.

I started the diet they gave me and also started exercising. I am hungry a little but not at starving mode. This is so hard because what if I dont lose the weight? I met with a psychologist for the program and he was nutty but I know that he had to say what he did. My next step is getting some lab work and a sleep apnea test.

Can someone please tell me their story and how they started and what was their procedure. I know it is a lot of work and I am ready for this!! More than anyone knows! Thank you for all your support :)

Mindy,

I am 5'2 and signed the papers for surgery at 252 pounds. I reached the decision after years of yo-yo dieting and beating myself up when I failed. The motivating factor for me is that I am turning 45 in October. Both of my parent's died at the age of 52. My Dad was 135 pounds and 5'7. My Mom was 5'1 and 120 pounds. My Dad had all kinds of heart problems...high blood pressure...high cholesterol...history of heart attacks. My Mom died of lung cancer. I was scared. I am approaching the time in my life where I start to feel like I am running out of time to make things right. I have been on cholesterol medication for close to 15 years. I have hypothyroidism and hashimotos disease. My Doctor told me last year that I was borderline diabetic and if I was smart, I would lose weight to reduce the risk of being a diabetic. That scared me. I tried and tried and tried to lose the weight. That is when I heard that an acquaintance of mine had the sleeve. I never heard of it. My Doctors have suggested the band to me several times over the years. I was not going to give in and do it. I was determined I would lose this weight on my own. Finally, I asked this woman about the sleeve. She gave me information and I attended a seminar that the Surgeon had. I was sold. I had more of a chance of dying from a stroke or heart attack than I did from the surgery. It was a chance to get the life I wanted for so long. I was thin until I had my kids and I know the difference between living life as an obese person and a thin person. That was it for me. I started the process. I dieted and lost 20 pounds. I did everything I was supposed to do until the day of surgery. Once you start the liquid diet pre-op, more weight will fall off. The reason for them wanting you to be on a liquid diet is it shrinks your liver, making for a safer surgery. My Surgeon insisted on 2 weeks liquid. I know many Doctors call for less. It was well worth it. Everything has been. I had my surgery June 11, 2012 and am down 53 pounds and hear all day long from people how incredible I look. It has been years since I have been told that. I feel great, I look great and I am eating well.

I personally was in same spot as you, I had mastered losing weight and then regaining it every single time! I know that I am willing to work hard to get the weight off, I just need a little help to keep it off.

When I was 28, I always said I would not be fat at 30, well here I am 37 and fat. I have been obese since 6 yoa. It is easy for people to tell u what they think u should do. I agree with a previous poster this is a very personal and very difficult decision. Most of us don't just wake up one morning and say, "wow, I think I will have WLS." For me it took a lot of research, sole searching and prayer. Sometimes u have to dig deep and it can hurt. I wish u luck in ur decision making process.

Thankyou. did you have your surgery already?

Joy, you are young and have time. Try doing it naturally. Try hard.

This option isn't going anywhere.

If there is any doubt in your mind, satisfy it first so you'll never look back.

@joy75

I am 29 and also planning on rocking out my thirties surgery scheduled for the 15th of september. I am scared and excited at the same time;)

@imworthit thats awesome, goodluck with that.

No, I just finished my paperwork and I will email it to insurance tomorrow. My process is a bit different because I live in South America.

@JDS i am 28yrs old, i told myself i will not go into my 30's being this weight so this is crucial and i agree with you this a big decision because it is irreversible.

I was just worried about side effects, also the fact that i dont have any children and would like to have some and im scared if this surgery would effect that. just alot of thoughts.

I have been researching WLS for over 4 years! I wish I had the strength when I was 28 to truly pursue it. Personally I just felt like a failure, and wasn't ready to throw in the towel on fixing this lifelong issue myself. But I have accepted that I can lose all the weight in the world on my own, but I will always gain it back plus some.

My husband and I don't have any kids yet, and I really made him a part of this decision because we would have to wait 18-24 months to start trying. Even though some do get pregnant earlier on, all depends on your body. Keep in mind, being overweight makes any pregnancy more high risk, and it's harder to conceive for some because of the weight. A healthy Mom is the first step to a healthy baby :-)

There are times in life when you need to put You first. Remember that, and you will always make the best decision for You. I wish you the best on your journey.

@az1369

I have been researching WLS for over 4 years! I wish I had the strength when I was 28 to truly pursue it. Personally I just felt like a failure, and wasn't ready to throw in the towel on fixing this lifelong issue myself. But I have accepted that I can lose all the weight in the world on my own, but I will always gain it back plus some.

My husband and I don't have any kids yet, and I really made him a part of this decision because we would have to wait 18-24 months to start trying. Even though some do get pregnant earlier on, all depends on your body. Keep in mind, being overweight makes any pregnancy more high risk, and it's harder to conceive for some because of the weight. A healthy Mom is the first step to a healthy baby :-)

There are times in life when you need to put You first. Remember that, and you will always make the best decision for You. I wish you the best on your journey.

Thankyou,i hope it all works out. have you had your surgery yet?

@az1369

Thankyou,i hope it all works out. have you had your surgery yet?

I am scheduled for 10/8....5 weeks and 3 days away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kick myself sometimes for not doing it sooner, as I would have liked to have children by now......but I just try to tell myself that everything happens for a reason.

I am very exicted about getting sleeved, and have slowly been trying to change my habits leading up to surgery. Which must be working somewhat, since this morning I was down 6 lbs. woo hoo....would like to lose another 10 before surgery or even better 14, so I can come out of surgery in Onederland!

Im 5'8 and im 251 lbs and im in the process of getting approved for vsg. Even though im in the 38 bmi i have obstructive sleep apnea which is not good. I dont want to die at 23. Ive also tryed to loose it with diets but comes back and then some. Im tierd of being tierd and achy. Its true it is a life change and is better early because my life will be easier withought 100 pounds.

I am scheduled for 10/8....5 weeks and 3 days away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kick myself sometimes for not doing it sooner, as I would have liked to have children by now......but I just try to tell myself that everything happens for a reason.

I am very exicted about getting sleeved, and have slowly been trying to change my habits leading up to surgery. Which must be working somewhat, since this morning I was down 6 lbs. woo hoo....would like to lose another 10 before surgery or even better 14, so I can come out of surgery in Onederland!

@az add me as a friend and follow up with me, i would love to know how everything went with the surgery.