Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Be Able To Eat Again?

This might seem like a silly response, but my suggestion would be to reach out to your nutritionist, and see if they can offer any suggestions (re additional food options you could have now)...as well as an answer to your question. As Gustavo points out...."normal" is a relative term. Do you mean "normal food" (as in not liquids/mushy/soft/pureed foods)? Do you mean "normal amounts" (as in anything resembling how much you ate prior to surgery)? Based on my own research, conversations with my surgeon and nutritionist, and the post-surgical plan that comes with my program, I understand that I, personally, will never be able to eat "normally" again....at least in terms of many types of foods, and quantities, eaten prior to my surgery. And I'm very ok with that. :)

Best of luck to you!

That's not happening for a long time. Most NUTs don't suggest veggies until 4 months out, and carbohydrates like bread, for most of us, are off the menu for life. At least for me that are with the potential exception, which I can't even think about right now. I am 9 days out...I'm on liquids just like you. Hang in there!

We did this to change our lives. It's a tool, which we have to use well. If we go back to eating like we did in the past, we are abusing our tool, and limiting our weight loss.

I don't want to preach, just to share some perspective. The most successful sleevers not only have reduced the amounts that they eat but also WHAT they each.

I mean a meal like chicken and string Beans or cucumbers , a ham sandwich or a salad

Well...that will depend entirely upon the post-surgical diet plan you've been given (assuming you intend to follow it "to the letter"). I had to wait until I was released to reintroduce real food (as opposed to "soft/pureed/etc) to attempt any fresh veggies (and I was dying to have some!). That happened at about 8 weeks post-op. I'm still only able to eat cucumbers after removing the seeds (just scrape a spoon down the center of a cuke sliced in half...very easy). I ate canned green Beans when I was eating "soft" foods...because they're cooked half to death prior to canning. Thinly sliced deli meats (including ham) fell into my "soft" phase...but not in a sandwich. My plan discourages the use of breads, pastas, rice, and potatoes throughout the losing phase, post-op....because they're too high in simple carbs, and because the first three tend to expand in the stomach, reducing your ability to eat the Protein you need to be eating. salad falls under "fresh veggies" for me. When I was released for fresh veggies, I was told to only eat "shredded or finely chopped lettuce," to make it easier for my sleeve to digest.

Again...your individual nutritionist should be able to give you plan-specific recommendations regarding each of your questions. :)

That's not happening for a long time. Most NUTs don't suggest veggies until 4 months out, and carbohydrates like bread, for most of us, are off the menu for life. At least for me that are with the potential exception, which I can't even think about right now. I am 9 days out...I'm on liquids just like you. Hang in there!

We did this to change our lives. It's a tool, which we have to use well. If we go back to eating like we did in the past, we are abusing our tool, and limiting our weight loss.

I don't want to preach, just to share some perspective. The most successful sleevers not only have reduced the amounts that they eat but also WHAT they each.

Well said!

Kinny mom u will be able to eat again. I haven't had much of a problem. I'm two months out and can eat veggies, chicken etc. I make healthier choices and eat Protein first. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I'm now averaging a loss of 4 lbs a week since being off liquids and I feel great! The first month is rough, hang in there.

Eating "normally" is a tricky question because most of us have individual "normals". Some people's new normals are super strict and very specific.... some people choose to do a less rigid approach. Its an individual's choice- thats the cool thing about the sleeve.... you get to define your lifestyle.

Whatever your definetion of "normal" is DO NOT RUSH TO GET TO YOUR "NORMAL In less than 3 months, you will be able to define your own normal and have a little bit of everything you want (yes, even ham sandwiches and fritos). In the meantime- do not rush the liquid, mushies or food stages- they are put in place by a medical professional for a reason.

That being said- I eat a pretty liberal diet.... a bit of anything I want (I still make pretty healthy choices tho). I waited until I was 3+ months out before I started deviating from a strict diet.

I am sure if you are strong enough to be proactive and take your health into your own hands.... you are strong enough to stick to the plan until you have the freedom to choose your foods. Reach out to us forum peeps if you need support- you CAN do it!

I'm 1 week out on phase 2 of my post op diet and this is my new normal today. Hang in there

Two weeks out SICK of the food choices I have . Please tell me when will I be able to eat normally?

I hear ya girl!! and Im only a few days out!! I want normal food!!

I so agree with bread being a gateway food ! I'm still preop but have heard that bread does not sit well with most sleevers, and truly, that saddens me, almost as much as the no carbonation thing (no more champagne either !). I don't eat bread very often, but once in a blue moon I so enjoy a fresh, hot from the oven croissant. My surgeon's food plan is very generous, a little too generous I think, so I'm going to slow is down a bit... He only requires liquids (clear or full) for one week after surgery, and mushies for week 2. Anything you want week 3. I don't see how a very long staple line could be healed enough for "anything you want" after only 2 weeks and I'm not taking any chances with screwing something up and ending up having to go back to the hospital... I've got the rest of my life to eat so I won't be rushing my recovery ! It's just too crucial a time... I know it won't be easy, but I'll suffer through it to keep from suffering long term problems...

I have eaten bread a few times since surgery. It is the really thick rolls you get at restaurants. I can only eat about half of one!! They are VERY filling. Now I've tried a regular piece of bread (like a hamburger bun or regular piece of Mrs. Baird's) and that is an entirely different story. That goes down way easily. I guess even bread can be dense but obviously it is a not a protein--lol--that's why I've only had it a few time.

Liz....I was told champs would be ok after six months to a year. Not a lot, but it's not 100% no no in your future :). (I collect wine....this mattered to me lol)