Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice For Experienced Vsg-Ers

Hello group, this is my first post here, I've found so much information here, I'm glad this webpage exists. So here's my run-down on where I need some advice/help. I have 120lbs to lose and I have been going through the six month process for insurance approval, I have one more visit with my primary doctor, and one more visit each with my nutritionist & exercise therapist. Yesterday, my surgeon did an endoscopy to check the health of my stomach and pyloric valve, and he says it looked good but I had a little bile in my stomach. His suggestion is that I have a full gastric bypass, something he has suggested since we first met because of the greater weight loss potential, but I don't want the full bypass! I've explained to him that I have young children that I need to be able to keep up with and can't afford down time due to dumping syndrome or feel sluggish/become unhealthy because of absorption issues. I've not had issues with acid or bile reflux before, even when pregnant, so I am very hesitant to change the type of surgery based on just that. I will note that my surgeon is a very nice man, listens to what I am saying and explains things thoroughly, and said that the decision is up to me, that he will do either surgery should I be approved by my insurance. So. . . my two items that I need some help with are: are there folks out there who were able to achieve an over 100# weight loss with vertical sleeve; and are there folks who had NEW, lasting reflux issues with the sleeve? My 'gut' is telling me to stick with the sleeve! Thanks for any input!

Most people take a PPI and it controls that problem.

I had some acid issues post-op, but I took a PPI for seven months and they disappeared over that time. Now I just get a rare case of heartburn like anybody else.

I am so excited for you to start your journey! I do take PPI and it controls any problem. I never had any acid issues before my surgery. My doctor is now telling me that there is a procedure now that will take away the need for people to take any PPIs at all. My acid problems actually seems to be going away. I am under goal! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sleeve. I had it a year ago. I cant get over waking up in the morning and feeling thin. And then I look in the mirror and geez. I think wow! Pivot, turn..yep it is me. Especially like how my back norrows to my waist! You have a lot to look forward to! There is nothing I cant eat with the sleeve. It is crazy easy. And no dumping, sluggishness, malabsorption issues. I used to love chips and candy. Not anymore! One candy and I think...well, thats kinda good but to sweet. I have 2 huge bags of chips and a huge bag of cheezies in my pantry. I have to toss them. They have gone stale. Just no desire for them. Good luck! I am already happy for you. I bet you choose the sleeve. But the decision should be yours.

I am in the same boat, soready... at least in the fact that I have to lose over 100 pounds. I have read quite a few sleevers who have lost that and more. But my question is do they keep it off after 5 or 8 years?

I am very interested to see the answers you get about indigestion, etc. I can't decide to get the bypass or the sleeve. My choice changes every 30 minutes or so.

But, help me out... what is PPI? Is it OTC or Rx? I read somewhere they can cut an acid producing nerve -- anyone hear of that?.

My wife had a bypass 10 years ago. I had a sleeve 6 weeks ago. The sleeve was a much better choice for me. I am living a very normal life at this point and losing almost a lb a day. My wife was not nearly as successful with the bypass, and she has regained much of her weight. The real world is more complicated that the summary weight-loss charts in the medical journals.

I hate to say it, but surgery is driven as much by personality as it is by science. If you read this forum a while you will see there is enourmous variation in procedures and follow-up care between surgeons.

It would not be surprising if your surgeon has a bit of a preference for the familiar and proven bypass procedure, but at least he is giving you the choice. You are thinking about the right issues. Your success depends on how well your procedure fits the life you plan to lead. The absence iof dumping, absorption issues, and fewer problems with good getting "stuck" were a big deal for me. I have lived up-close and personal with the alternative for years. I would not have had WLS if the sleeve procedure was not available.

The studies show that the average weight loss for sleeve is less than the average weight loss for bypass. But these studies also show enourmous variation in the amount of weight loss between individuals. That shows that the outcome has more to do with the individual's approach to the weight loss surgery, than the type of surgery chosen.

The bottom line is that you can do really well or, rather badly with either procedure. Make the decision with all the best information, realizing that the people advising you are human too. Once you make the choice, commit to the change and do not look back. If you do that you will be OK either way.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I forgot to mention, that for most people, taking an OTC PPI nails the heartburn problem without any drama. I used to take 4 pills every day. Now I am over 50lbs down and all I take is one PPI a day. I consider that a big win.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Hi, Welcome!

I lost 105 pounds in about 7 months. I have stayed the same about the last 3-4 weeks, but all in all, have lost great! I started with 150 to lose so still want to lose more, but really am feeling great.

The first doc I saw wanted me to get the rny gastric bypass also. I had "failed" with the lapband and with the 51 BMI - well - he was skeptical I could be successful with the sleeve. I thought alot about it, and when I considered the pros and cons, just decided I wasn't comortable with it. Plenty of people do GREAT with the RNY so I am not dissin' it, just not for me.

I found a doc who has a pretty good track records with his sleeve patients and believed I was a good candidate. I have been right on track and very very happy with results so far.

I am confused about the "bile" comment. I had horrid reflux (ie I woke up choking more then once) with the lapband. I never had it before. After being sleeved, I had some acidy feeling tummy, controlled by PPI. I stopped the PPI awhile ago, but definately will take it if needed. What i experience with the sleeve is mild compared to the band - I have never had acid / food come up with the sleeve, just sometimes an acidy feeling.

Thanks for the great input everyone, I'm having Internet issues so I will keep this post short & respond better later. :). I'm sticking with the sleeve, i feel like I can meet my goals with this surgery & I feel like if I had to have the bypass that it's not worth it for all of the problems. I'm glad my surgeon will support me in this! Thanks to all again, will be back later!

Hello group, this is my first post here, I've found so much information here, I'm glad this webpage exists. So here's my run-down on where I need some advice/help. I have 120lbs to lose and I have been going through the six month process for insurance approval, I have one more visit with my primary doctor, and one more visit each with my nutritionist & exercise therapist. Yesterday, my surgeon did an endoscopy to check the health of my stomach and pyloric valve, and he says it looked good but I had a little bile in my stomach. His suggestion is that I have a full gastric bypass, something he has suggested since we first met because of the greater weight loss potential, but I don't want the full bypass! I've explained to him that I have young children that I need to be able to keep up with and can't afford down time due to dumping syndrome or feel sluggish/become unhealthy because of absorption issues. I've not had issues with acid or bile reflux before, even when pregnant, so I am very hesitant to change the type of surgery based on just that. I will note that my surgeon is a very nice man, listens to what I am saying and explains things thoroughly, and said that the decision is up to me, that he will do either surgery should I be approved by my insurance. So. . . my two items that I need some help with are: are there folks out there who were able to achieve an over 100# weight loss with vertical sleeve; and are there folks who had NEW, lasting reflux issues with the sleeve? My 'gut' is telling me to stick with the sleeve! Thanks for any input!

No way would I do the by-pass. I think the sleeve will some day be the 'gold standard' of WLS. It's forced Portion Control. I've had zero problems, but I was not in bad health to begin with. I had considered the band but decided the sleeve was the best choice. I'd stick with your gut feeling. I know so many by-pass patients that never reached goal and just as many who have gained back some or all of what they'd lost. How depressing! Good luck!

It sounds like ur doc may have a bias for the GBS. Heeans well. Even with the sleeve U may have complications like the GBP. I hope ur able to stand firm and ask for what u want. Both the wls will help with losing weight. :)

I was taking pills before the op for reflux and acid problems for a couple of years nothing at all was mentioned that it might not be a good idea to have the sleeve because of it.

After the op yes I am on fast tabs like a lot of us its fine.

And I have lost over 100lbs to date.

I also agree that the sleeve is an easier surgery with very little "down time". I was self pay so I researched my options in other countries. I settled on Obesity Control Center with Dr. Ortiz. It was the right choice for me. The surgery was the easiest thing I have ever done. The surgery was on a Monday and I was on my way home by Friday. The sleeve has only been available for a few years in the US. The surgeons in Mexico have been doing it for years.

I am now 3 mos out and have lost 40 lbs. I take Prilosec OTC ( over the counter) once a day if I remember.My weight loss has been slowed by an ankle fracture( no weight bearing for 3 mos. I broke my ankle April 28 and had my sleeve May' 28,2012. I now have a swollen painful knee that occurred during rehab. I think it is a miracle that I lost as much as I have.

My husband is having the sleeve in November in Mexico. We are both Certified Family Practice physicians. He was so impressed with my care that he chose to have it done in the same clinic.

I wish you well on your weight loss journey. You will be so happy with your results.