Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How The Hell Do You Drink Isopure?

Newgrandmother, Syntrax is a front runner for me so far... Lots of variety and good flavor

I'm a few days away from my surgery still but I've spent the last few weeks' date=' and will be spending the next week, preparing for my Protein requirements post surgery. Your body MUST have protein to survive. Your body must have protein in order to repair and rejuveniate itself. Every single muscle, including your HEART muscle must have protein to maintain proper function. I'm making popcicles with unflavored protein and various mixers, Protein Shake smoothie popcicles, chicken and beef stock loaded with protein, and will be coming up with a few more ways to consume protein ! I'm counting on my surgeon to do his part and it's my responsibility to do MY part to make sure that my recovery goes as well as possible so that I won't feel like total crap for weeks (or worse !). I'll deal with the not so pleasant tasting stuff if it will serve the purpose of healing and strenghtening my body as fast possible whether I'm sick of it or not. As an adult somtimes you just gotta suck it up and get it done whether you like it or not ! I don't mean to be rude and I'm not trying to be mean, but just try cutting out protein and see how crappy you feel and how slowly you heal. If I sound rather "passionate" about this subject, it's because I'm watching my Aunt (the only family I have left) waste away because of a liver disease that causes her body to not be able to process protein. She's gone from vibrant and full of life to weak, wobbly, and absolutely exhausted all the time in 3 months. I intend no offense.[/quote']

My bad. Since a quote wasn't included in this response, I figured it was meant for the OP (me). Hopefully the person it was intended for read it...you have to be an idiot to go through this and not get protein in!

Btw, I LOVE Syntrax Nectar!

Carrie, I couldn't agree more ! I can't imagine how anyone who had done even a little bit of research or half way listened to their doc or nut could even remotely think that NOT getting the Protein in is even an option... I'm a firm believer that some who have post surgical complications are responsible for causing them (at least partially) by not following the program and then they lay blame on the surgeon/surgery. Some folks, unfortunately, do have botched surgery, but some push the envelope (like eating solids before they're supposed to because they're sick of liquids/mushies) and do the damage themselves, and they end up having a terribly tough time because of their own poor decisions. I have no doubt that I will be totally sick of shakes, popcicles, and broth but until my body says otherwise, that's exactly what I'll be consuming. My surgeon has a very liberal pre and post op diet, but I'm going to tighten it up a bit just to be on the safe side. I'm not an old fart yet, but I'm not in my 30's anymore either and stuff just tends to heal slower the older you get... just sayin ! :D I'm already fighting the chicken out syndrome ! :huh: It's not the surgery itself that scares me so much, it's the going under part... :wacko:

Carrie, I couldn't agree more ! I can't imagine how anyone who had done even a little bit of research or half way listened to their doc or nut could even remotely think that NOT getting the Protein in is even an option... I'm a firm believer that some who have post surgical complications are responsible for causing them (at least partially) by not following the program and then they lay blame on the surgeon/surgery. Some folks, unfortunately, do have botched surgery, but some push the envelope (like eating solids before they're supposed to because they're sick of liquids/mushies) and do the damage themselves, and they end up having a terribly tough time because of their own poor decisions. I have no doubt that I will be totally sick of shakes, popcicles, and broth but until my body says otherwise, that's exactly what I'll be consuming. My surgeon has a very liberal pre and post op diet, but I'm going to tighten it up a bit just to be on the safe side. I'm not an old fart yet, but I'm not in my 30's anymore either and stuff just tends to heal slower the older you get... just sayin ! :D I'm already fighting the chicken out syndrome ! :huh: It's not the surgery itself that scares me so much, it's the going under part... :wacko:

Well Liz, I had complications from surgery and am still unfortunately suffering with them. So, per your post, does that mean I caused it? I don't believe that is what you were trying to say; however, you haven't even had surgery yet to know what it's like afterwards. One part of this journey that I know you have to learn, or it will be a hard lesson, is to keep an open mind.

For me, unfortunately my body rejected a staple in my suture line. The suture line was redone a few weeks later, but my body still has small leaks to which my dr. keeps saying "protein" and 6 months later, unfortunately it's still there. I'm rather scared ****less, but I know I've had at least three different dr.'s tell me I didn't do anything to cause this, nor did my surgeon who is very well respected, it just happened and now it's getting it all fixed. I'm fed up with it at this point as I have done EVERYTHING possible to do "right"... I'm rather impatient with at this moment. So reading your post just wasn't what I needed. And some newbies don't understand why protein is needed. Please keep in mind some people are still educating themselves and come here to do that and hopefully find support if/as needed.

Some things just GO WRONG sometimes. You can't control it, your dr. can't always control it and with my being a self pay, let me tell you, it really sucks. But with the grace of God, I am overcoming it all. I just wish my body would hurry up and heal.

I don't wish complications on anyone. But here's the facts people. Get your protein in. You do have to have it. If you can't stomach one thing, try another (unjury is good, Nectars are ok as well, Premier Protein shakes yummy, cytosport whey isolate rtd's IMHO rock, clear Protein Drinks w/o much else in them? yeah, they rock!). After surgery, you won't want to eat and when you do, it's so little it's HARD to get anything much in regardless of it being protein or anything (so don't freak whenever you lose hair, it will stop). THIS is why they say protein first - listen to them. Additionally, your taste buds will change (so one day Protein Powder A that you loved will taste like a monkey's backside... so don't buy anything in bulk before your surgery IMO). Follow your dr.'s directions. Don't take anything seriously from this message board, certainly not over your dr's instructions. Proceed with caution and do what you are told. Every dr's different, but if you follow their guidelines, you will more than likely be fine.

But everyone that has complications... doesn't cause them to occur, nor is it a 'botched surgery" .... nor is it always the dr'.s "fault"... sometimes, **** happens. Speaking from experience, you have no idea until it happens to you, so please keep that in mind whenever you are making statements to the contrary.

4ALongerLife... so sorry you are having such awful difficulties with your recovery. Firstly, I have had numerous surgeries and totally understand the concept that sometimes **** just happens and no one is to blame. I have a variety of metal plates, screws, staples, and scars, so trust me, I understand. My post "some who have post surgical complications are responsible for causing them (at least partially)" wasn't fingerpointng at everyone, or anyone. My response was to Kiwi, who had her surgery on August 9th (with insurance), so I'm sure she heard all the same information regarding Protein that everyone else who has had, or is in the process of having the surgery has. I am self pay as well, without insurance, so I didn't have to attend umpteen classes and dr. visits to satisfy an insurance company requirements. I have had to gather this information for myself from many sources. I can only assume that your level of frustration is off the charts, and understandably so. Some people's taste buds change, some don't. Some have no problem getting things down, some can't get anything down. Some bounce right back, some don't. Some contribute to or cause their complications, some don't. I'm sorry if you felt my post was an accusation. It was merely a personal observation/opinion based on the hundreds of hours I've spent researching and speaking to WLS patients. I sincerely hope that you continue to heal without any further complications. I listen to all ideas, suggestions, and points of view, but it's up to each individual how they use that information. I have two dear friends that have been sleeved. One has had problems with everything since surgery (not the life threatening kind), and the other hasn't had any problems at all. One sees the glass half empty, the other sees the glass half full. One says "I can't" and the other says "I will". I'm sure you get my drift...

Isopure? More like Isopuke!! I'm trying to find something with a lot of Protein (can't beat 40 grams) in a bottle where I also get 20 oz of Fluid at only 160 calories. If I didn't have such a tiny stomach' date=' I'd just chug it down fast. But I have to sip, sip, sip, and gag, gag, gag. Those Protein Shots are worse. Guess it's back to the shakes. Let me know if you found something tasty out there![/quote']

They are awful! I hate that Isopure and that nectar stuff isn't much better.

I got the Apple Melon and Grape Frost. Not bad if I hold my nose. It was the on suggested so I bought a case of each. The other flavirs were even worse.

I got the Apple Melon and Grape Frost. Not bad if I hold my nose. It was the on suggested so I bought a case of each. The other flavirs were even worse.

Hope you are buying them post-op cause your tastes change. Mine sure did! I bought a case of Grape Frost & I only got one bottle down...

I didn't drink Isopure AT ALL when I was on Clear Liquids. I opted for whey Protein isolate bullets. They are 3.8 Fluid ounces and contain 42 grams of protein. I got them from The Vitamin Shoppe. I would mix them with Vitamin Water, Diet V8, and crystal light. So I was getting my water and my protein in with one swoop. It didnt even notice it tasted like anything other than Crystal light or fruit punch or whatever flavor it was I was mixing. my fav combo was the fruit punch flavored protein with Diet Tropical Blend V8 with water...otherwise it was too sweet for me. But Im telling you...it was sooooooo tolerable. It wasnt even a hastle.

I don't have a problem with Isopure as long as it is diluted 1:2 Water, Crystal light or whatever. And it's cold. 1/2 a bottle a day for a week is all I am required to do for clear liquid week. When the stages are a week or two long, i don't want to invest too much thought and money, like NIKE says, just do it!

bmi.png

They are awful! I hate that Isopure and that nectar stuff isn't much better.

Isopure was atrocious....but Nectar tastes pretty good, I tried the Roadside Lemonade mixed with a lemonade crystal light, I was afraid to taste it alone so I added crystal light lol I hope I still like it after my sleeve.

Syntax nectar sweets and syntax matrix are the best for me. They mix equally well with Water and milk / soy. I look forward to daily cookie or Oreo shakes. Also, chocolate is good with the PB powder. It tastes like Reese's pieces. For me, I cannot stand the peach flavor. It is weird because I was a diehard peach flavor guy before the surgery.

Aria is the best shake ever.....and I hate shakes....u get it at Trader Joes......

6 oz milk ....2 ice cubes to keep it cold....1 and 1/2 scoops of Protein and a biggish table spoon of no sugar ice cream and a table spoon of greek yogurt....mmmm its like a creamy shake....mix it in a blender....

I have the unfortunate luck of not being able to tolerate the whey... Any Protein liquids thus far have gone right through me.. they released me to pureed today just so I can start getting my protein via food at least... My blood pressure and energy levels were bottoming out due to the lack of protein...I stopped at Sonic on the way home and ordered a Sunshine Smoothie.. it isn't on their menu but they will still make it for you...Very high in protein and tasty... http://calorielab.com/restaurants/sonic/sunshine-smoothie/14/2046

I came home and made the BEST egg salad I have ever eaten lol... I feel so much better...

Have you tried mixing a scoop of nectar with 2 oz of liquid. I just did it. Makes a pretty good 2.5oz Protein shot.

By liquid, do you mean Water, milk, or what?

Sent from my iPad using VST