Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Depressed For Surgery... What?

Follow up with the program's psych today. He thinks I'm on too many medications and that I'm too depressed for surgery. He, the psychologist is questioning my psychiatrist? Uh, who's the medical doctor here? According to his psychological tests I'm off the charts in depression. His "tests" say that I am passive dependent (wth?), gives up easily, oppositional, pessimistic and a poor candidate for surgery at this time as compared to other bariatric patients. Boy I sound like a real winner, who here wants to be my friend now? (oops that's sarcasm and pessimism)

So my first reaction was to cry, then scream and tell him what to do with his tests, but I thought he would probably make note of that. It took everything I had, but I sat there and listened to his recommendations which was to go get a second opinion and start all over with my meds, get a "clean slate". Are you kidding me? My psychiatrist knows my history, knows what medicines effect me how and he's the one who helped me when I was face down on the floor. That was 12 years ago. Since then my weight has gone up, but my moods have been pretty steady, lower then the average person, but we are all different.

I just can't believe this. I finally make this decision then bam right in the face. Like I'm going to get happier being this miserably overweight and in pain? Anyone else gone through this? Help? If I wasn't depressed before, I'm devastated now. Way to start the weekend.

I have no advice to give you :( but I am terribly sorry you are facing this hurdle. many good thoughts heading your way.

You mentioned that you have been with your psychiatrist for 12 years, can he make the recommendation for you? he knows you better, and you have been under his care for a very long time. And like you said he is the medical doctor here! I suppose that you plan on staying under his care, so he can vouch for you. Don't give up!

wow im so sorry to hear that. im sure if you have a follow up visit and show that mentally u are ready they will work with you. i know with my insurance they approved me but they also allow at least 1-2 visits. i would say dont give up hope. have you finished all your other pre op appointments? stay positive and if its meant to be it will be :)

Passive dependent means that a person isn't self-reliant and that they depend on other people to take responsibility for their life.

In the hospital, are you going to have to go off your meds temporarily? I ask because in truth, meds don't cure you, they cure symptoms so perhaps that is where the psychologist is coming from. I wasn't on any meds but my surgeon requires everyone to come off of all medications while in the hospital up to almost two weeks after. Do you feel that you could go that long without your psychotropic medications if that happens to be the case with you?

Do you know which tests the psychologist gave you? Did you answer the questions honestly? Also, don't come down too hard on the psychologist. While they cannot prescribe medicine, there are things they are proficient at that psychiatrists aren't and vice versa. He has to give you his professional opinion.

I think that you should consider your other options like other posters have said but in the meantime, think about what it may mean to you if you undergo another psych evaluation and the results are similar.

sounds like me.. except i'm not on any meds (that deal with my mental health- am on a beta blocker to slow my heart rate & hydrochlorothiazide, though.).. when i read your story, i laughed because i am concidering weight loss surgery & if they denied you because of being depressed and passive dependant, then i'm screwed.. not because i thought it was funny.. or even remotely amusing.. i feel bad for you & i'm sincerely very sorry that you didn't pass. i hope you'll be able to figure out what's going on & fix it, so you can get your surgery.

it sounds a bit like a catch 22, though... "i'm depressed because i'm fat.. but you won't allow me to get surgery to fix my problem.. so that just makes me more depressed & probably more fat!!!".... dumbest thing i've ever heard. :/ well maybe not EVER, but it's in the top 5, for sure.

I sympathize and I think they're being too harsh on you. But they do the psych eval for a reason. This surgery really isn't for everyone. It has pushed my willpower and tenacity to the max. I've gotten depressed and had some anxiety moments, but I was able to handle them. And I've learned a LOT about myself...some bad but mostly good. The sleeve can test your strength and if you're not up for it, maybe you shouldn't get it.

Ok haters, go ahead and criticize this, but I really DO think this surgery isn't for everyone.

I wish you well in your journey, but as stated earlier the eval is necessary for a reason. If you question one psych opinion get another and we all hope for the best in your situation. If the approval has to be delayed for your clearance then that is what is necessary. It does not have to be a permanent situation it could simply mean the timing is not right for the approval. If this was me, I would appreciate the professionals for what they are qualified and trained to do. I am sure that is not the response you are seeking but your health and safety is always first. Please keep us posted and I will keep you in prayer.

1) Passive Dependent isn't even an accurate term identified to diagnose someone.

2) i do think that taking a look at the depression is very important. It doesn't mean you can't ever have it but the psych found something concerning. That being said, if you have your psychiatrist review and get his/her opinion regarding the concerns- I'm quite certain that this will take presendence being they are your treating MD

3) Obesity does not cause depression in and of itself. Like mentioned- being overweight (lord knows I relate) can trigger and fuel the fire but there are genetic components as well to consider. Further- how one copes with such life stressors is huge. Otherwise we may as well say that everyone who is obese is depressed and that simply isn't true. Bottom line: there is a difference between major depressive disorder than a less severe type- or situationally induced (often not treated with meds).

So hang in there- do what you have to do and keep fighting. I like what the person said before me- Not everyone is a candidate. I'm not saying that's you or not- buy I agree with that statement and I wish more psych Evals were more comprehensive than I've seen on here. Lots of positive thoughts sent your way ????????

I would run not walk to another psychiatrist for another opinion.

Also, in my AETNA bariatric policy criteria it states that depression in and of itself is not a reason to deny the WLS. Maybe your policy states something similar. I would also send in an appeal based on the fact that your long term psychiatrist should be considered the expert on HIS PATIENT when it comes to mental status issues.

And as far as the psyche labels go (" passive dependent") -- most of us walking around could be labeled something. It becomes a psyche issue when it becomes a debilitating factor in your life. Is this a current issue in your life? If so, maybe the surgery is not right AT THIS TIME.

Also, being fat has been what has weighed on my life. I have always persevered but every single moment was a struggle due to self doubt and self loathing because of fat. I think it's tough not be labeled depressed when being fat filters every part of your thought process. I personally believe that depression should be considered one of the co-morbidities. How many morbidly obese people do you know who are not depressed at some level. I'm sure there are some who have healthy a self esteem and psyche but I think the majority are depressed and many who say they aren't are kidding themselves.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did answer the questions honestly and at first I thought I should have told them what they wanted to hear, I know that it was in my best interest to tell the truth.

Gustavo, you say the surgery isn't for everyone... how so? Is it that it's mentally tough? I'm sure it is but that is what your suport system is for right? Plus, it seems like everyone keeps saying it gets better after a couple of months.

Things were left that the psychologist is going to call my psychiatrist and talk to him. We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't satisfy him then I'll go from there. I'm not going to give up that easily.

There's ppl on YouTube who said in their videos that they failed their psych eval and then got a 2nd opinion - passed and had the surgery & did very well. I wasn't told I had to see a psychologist (I think I actually made an appointment with a psychiatrist) I would think that your psychiatrist who has treated you for 12 years would be the authority on whether you would do well with surgery.

Personally I think its more than ridiculous that after 1 session with a psychiatrist/psychologist that they can know you well enough to know whether you'd do well with surgery.

Personally - I'd check with your insurance or your surgeon & see if you can use your own psychiatrist to do your eval. Good luck to you and I hope it all works out.

Worth doing some research to understand why one might be denied: http://www.springerlink.com/content/b735m070p3510g76/

Psychological tests are very accurate if you're honest. They want to make sure you have the coping skills to deal with post-surgery issues.

I agree that different mental health professionals may have different opinions, but the tests don't lie. It would make more sense to delay the surgery and make sure you are set with counseling and meds before having a surgery that you can only do once in your life. If your mental health issues derail the surgery then you'll be right back where you were with no other options.

Good luck.

I sympathize and I think they're being too harsh on you. But they do the psych eval for a reason. This surgery really isn't for everyone. It has pushed my willpower and tenacity to the max. I've gotten depressed and had some anxiety moments' date=' but I was able to handle them. And I've learned a LOT about myself...some bad but mostly good. The sleeve can test your strength and if you're not up for it, maybe you shouldn't get it.

Ok haters, go ahead and criticize this, but I really DO think this surgery isn't for everyone.[/quote']

No hating here!

The surgery is just a tool. We have to be ready to work though issues, manage food choices like grazing and slider foods. Not a miracle cure, but can be a miracle if used wisely. If not, it could be a longer journey.