Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

My name is Amber, I think my "final straw" was when my husband got sick, and I had to care for him. I thought about my daughters who are only 8 and 12, and what their future would be if both of their parents were sick or worse dead. I would never want them to know that feeling so I decided to change my life around. It has been one of my best choices.

I had a series of straws. It started when I realized that I don't think I have ever seen a 70 year old who was my size. Because people my size don't often live that long. Then after gaining back 40 pounds I spent 9 months losing I signed up for a surgery orientation class last October. Two days before it, I cancelled. I wasn't ready to take such a drastic step. I wanted to give myself one more year- one more chance to lose it on my own. Then my bloodwork came back pre-diabetic. Then my blood pressure was borderline hypertensive on multiple occasions. Then I was told my back issues would not resolve without weight loss. Finally I spent a week on a cruise with my best friend who had VGS surgery 2 years ago. She looked amazing. And we talked. And when I returned at the end of January I signed back up for the orientation class.

Scheduled for surgery July 18 ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just got back from a beautiful family vacation in Maui. We've been there a few times but on this trip, it was quite noticeable how much my weight was a factor in what should have been a perfect trip.

I couldn't snorkel as long or as far as the rest of my family. I was tired every day and took naps while the rest of the family was at the pool. I hated the way I looked in my bathing suit and all the pictures.

All of this has just added to how much I need this surgery, now more than ever. I don't want to take another family vacation where I can't keep up!!

Plus I would like to walk down the airplane aisle walking frontwards and not sideways!! And the seat extender--ughhh!!

I've been going through all the pre-op work ups and now just waiting for insurance approvals.

Please oh please...lets get this done sooner than later!!

It's been a process...

First I was pre-diabetic and given the "you need to test your BS, lose weight," etc. - and I went into denial for several years.

Then I was rejected for an operation because "your BS is not controlled." - and I grudgingly started meds... which made me gain even more weight (diabetic medications are evil that way).

After years of taking metformin, I get sent to an endocrinologist for additional meds, and eventually have to start self-injections (first Byetta, and eventually insulin). My A1C gets better for a while, and then worse.

Then I break my foot, spend 6 months in a boot, have surgery, and spend 3 more months in a boot. I get released from the boot (hurrah!) and realize I have to learn to walk all over again. During 3 months of physical therapy I end up spending a lot of money, both on the PT and having to buy my meds... so much that I end up meeting my healthcare deductible in the first three months of the year.

But the final straws:

1. While heading to our last exotic cruise, asking for a seat extender for the first time in my life, in First Class of all places.

2. While on the cruise with my spouse (who is also large), on a bus tour through a hot, sweaty climate, I finally snapped and said out loud, "You know I love you more than anything in the world... but dammit, I'm tired of being physically pressed up against you anytime we travel anywhere."

And so I decided to pursue WLS once we returned to the states. On month 3 of my (wasteful, pointless) 6 month insurance requirement. We have one trip planned later this year (right before my probable surgery), and dammit that will be the last time I'll have to deal with being pressed up against someone (anyone) because I'm just too damn fat to fit completely in the seat.

@@Beth's WLS Journey, my fingers are crossed wishing you the best.

@@Fredbear, Woohoo for independence!

I've had a lot of last straws... I'm only 34 and I'm tired of being fat. As I get older, it just gets worse. I am now pre-diabetic, have hypertension and sleep apnea in addition to multiple other health issues. I have 4 kids and I want to be active with them. I think the real turning point was when my son's classmates told him I was fat. Oh, and I keep getting asked when I'm due. <_<

I've been approved for surgery. I have my meeting with the doctor on 08/09 and we schedule the surgery that day. It has been about a year long process. I did six months of visits with my PCP, an EGD with my surgeon and a cardiac clearance workup with my cardiologist. I also did my psych eval back in June and met with the dietitian at that time.

My final straw was during my daughter's wedding prep, her soon to be father in law complained about his weight, #250. He had no idea I weighed what he did, he'd never insult me on purpose. I didn't think I was as big as he was. He was much taller, so I'm sure he wore it better. But also, I've had 2 kids graduate and I've always wanted those pictures to be of a skinnier me, I wasn't thrilled with my 250# body in their forever pictures. One graduation this year as well and I'm glad to know I'll be much healthier!

Well, I lost about 80 pounds and started running. I eventually worked my way up to running marathons! I was so proud of myself! I was feeling great! I was down to 175 pounds. Then, Hurricane Katrina happened. I'm a New Orleans firefighter and an Army veteran. I lost everything, like so many of us. I saw things and saw people do things not to think of. I lost my motivation. I started cheating on my wife and got divorced. I had a 6 month old baby at the time. So, I turned back to my comfort, food. Fast forward a few years, and got a lot of counseling. I was feeling much better about myself but I couldn't shake the weight. I met a beautiful woman who loved me despite all I went through. We got married and have 2 wonderful kids together. She accepted my first child as her own. Our youngest was diagnosed with autism. She's so much to keep up with! I was weighing 303 pounds, on multiple blood pressure meds, heart medicine from a heart attack I had in 2011, sleep apnea with a cpap machine, and meds for anxiety and depression for panic attacks I have due to PTSD. It was time. I needed this according to my doctor. The straw that broke was being on vacation and barely being able to ride and rides at Universal Studios without workers forcing the harness on me and me hardly being able to breathe. Just seeing the embarrassment on my kids faces pushed me more than anything. Now, I'm only 2 weeks post op but I've already lost 24 pounds. I sleep and feel so much better! And since no one else will say it... sex is so much better now too!!!

For me it was that I couldn't walk through a store to get simple purchases. I just was in Hollywood, CA and walked 6.36 miles and did 20 flights of stairs in 1 day. Before surgery I couldn't walk 6.36 yards without stressing, huffing, puffing and being in pain.

I avoided mirrors and my own reflection like the plague, I would open my bathroom cabinet when I had a shower so that when I got out I wouldn't catch a glance of my body in the mirror.

I became a recluse and I decided.. No more.

My father dying from obesity related heart disease.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

I will turn 70 this year so I'm not getting any younger. The last 10 years or so have been really difficult physically because of my size. I am an outdoors type person, love to hunt and fish and each year it has just became more difficult. I fished a bass tournament with my grandson who is a teenager and I could barely get in and out of the bass boat. All of my life I've been active, played sports, climbed ladders to work on my house, cut firewood, etc. but my extreme size plus age has pretty much ended all that. Frustrating to say the least. At one time a couple of years ago I thought, "well, I'll just give up and become a couch potato." but the more i thought about it I figure- that was just an early death sentence so here I am, 3 weeks from surgery, one week from beginning the pre surgery diet and realizing if I don't do it properly, this is probably my last chance. Would appreciate your prayers.

@@Butch Luce I am so inspired by you not giving up on life! You can have a lot of great years ahead of you still.