Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Wow I can't get thru this forum. It just repeats. Hope the poster fixes it soon.

Ok sorry got thru the repeats and am now enjoying the personal issues that drove us , in part, to having WLS .

24 years ago, a dr at the ER and emergency surgery center said " you are the fattest person I've operated on".

I was probably 230 or so and I'm 5'7"

So it a real stinger and poor bedside manner. Glad she was not my regular doc or I would have switched docs ASAP .

It would be 15 years later I hady WLS and I'm fairly certain that won't happen again

But OUCH.... People can be ignorant ....even educated ones????

I began to have some health issues related to my weight (high blood pressure and knee pain). But I think the biggest thing was starting to see myself avoiding going out and doing things. Going to the movies and being uncomfortable the entire time in the seats. Being afraid to sit on plastic patio furniture at parties in fear I could break it. Afraid to go to the amusement park because of embarrassment if I don't fit on a ride. I became sick of making excuses to not go out with my boyfriend. But I think the absolute final straw was when I started going to the gym regularly and eating really healthy and even after 3 months was seeing minor results. It became so frustrating. I'm only 2 weeks post RNY surgery and am already seeing changes. I'm so glad I finally decided to do this.

Okay - I need some cheering up - weight loss is slow, lost my pedometer. have to re-do my sleep study test (last time the machine wasn't working) and my cardiologist didn't like the sound of the bottom of my heart so I have a stress test on Thursday AND Friday this week. Somebody convince me to stay with this!!! :(

Stay with this. No one ever said it was going to be easy, and hard work and determination pays off. Trust me you will never forgive yourself for giving up. You are being g tested to see if you have the strength to keep going. There will always be bumps in the road but the destination will be all worth when the weight is lost and you didn't give up! Stay strong friend you are sooooo not alone in the snuggle to get thru this

Sue

I agree with Sue she could not have said it better.

One of the reasons for going through this is to test our strengths as well as not doing what we have always done, frustrated we eat, sad we eat, hard to deal with life's issues we eat.

The purpose of going through the testings and getting approval is to better our lives, no one can do it for you.

This will be your story to tell and all of its ups and downs that are going to go with it. "Life Style Change" Best results are with accuracy and precision, trust that your doctors have your best interest at heart.

Janice

I am new to the site and I have read each post, and I can relate to some of them.

so the last straw was finding out I was prediabetic last year. I have been trying my hardest to lose the weight, however, when I lose the weight it comes back. I have always been fat my whole life, my 98 year old great aunt refers to me as the "plump girl." The next thing is i have a very active 10year old girl who has already ran 3 5k's starting at 8 years old.

I want for us to be able to run one together. That's a goal.

I want to be here for her and see her have a family and get married.

I just knew I needed help to keep losing , so I've went to my doctor and poured my heart out about my weight and I was leaning towards wls, he proceeded to tell me I don't think your a good fit. Your still young and you can lose it on my own. He's right I am young, I am 33 but this has been a struggle for year and for you to offer me the weight management class and try to get me to pay for a program for them to fix my food for me was out the question.

So I kicked him to the curb and my sis in law referred me to her PCP, because she had wls back in September 2013. I went last Monday and did the same pouring out to her and she agreed that was would be a great choice for me! I go to my first seminar on Wednesday, I have my orientation on 7/16! I'm ready to get this show on the road! I have Kaiser in northern California and its moving pretty fast. I'm just happy I went for a second opinion .

Type 2 diabetes did it for me!

I was kicked out of the military after 8 years because I continously failed at losing weight. Never mind the comments/looks, being denied promotion though I excelled at everything else...I loved my career and my people and I lost it over a push up.

Also my dad weighs 600lbs. I did not grow up with him. The reasons he is obese can not be the reasons I am obese. All I know is that he is in terrible pain and has to watch life from inside his home. I have to break the cycle.

And lastly, you know that feeling of not wanting to be in your own skin? I felt such physical and emotional discomfort just being me. It all had to change. I'm now 7 wks post op and down 27lbs. I'm looking forward to the future.

tbaby10, if it's any consolation I too had the same aches and pains and they have disappeared with the post bariatric weight loss. I noticed a huge difference with just 25 lbs off and now I am 50 lbs off in 3 short months. I walk briskly 6 days a week, garden, stand of lengths at a time....all of this now but certainly not before. What a bonus and life is good!

tbaby10, if it's any consolation I too had the same aches and pains and they have disappeared with the post bariatric weight loss. I noticed a huge difference with just 25 lbs off and now I am 50 lbs off in 3 short months. I walk briskly 6 days a week, garden, stand of lengths at a time....all of this now but certainly not before. What a bonus and life is good!

Do you mind if I ask your starting weight? I'm 326. I would love to have no aches or pains! ????

After numerous failed diets, I was just shot down.

I saw a picture of myself at a cousins wedding and just broke down in tears and decided that I needed to change my life. Diabetes runs in the family and I do not want to die young. I want to be able to walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. I want to be able to go out in public and not be ashamed of what I look like. It's not all vanity, I need to be healthy and this is how I'm going to change my life.

tbaby10, I started at 100 lbs less than you but my pains were such that I didn't exercise or have the motivation. My surgery and recovery were uncomplicated and I have not looked back (surgery date was 30/Mar/15). The weight steadily comes off, the surgeon very pleased. I do everything he tells me from hydration and food limitations to exercise and am one happy person. I wish you the absolute best and hope you will work the system to your best outcome. xxx

Rocket, you are going to do great because you have had it with being heavy and all the downsides of that plus your health motivation is on track.