Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I am just starting on my way to WLS. I submitted my insurance info and I am waiting for a response. I had several things that jumped on the last straw to break it. I have been gaining and gaining over the years but really got bad after my hysterectomy 7 years ago. No matter what I do I gain. I saw a picture of myself a few months back and felt horrible. I hated what I saw and why did I let this happen? I have tried many things over the years to lose weight. Most recently I bought a Fitbit and started tracking my food and my steps. I decided to do a 5k that was hosted by my work. I was second to last and finished at 59 minutes 15 seconds. I walked it. There was a point walking it that I had to stop for a second cause I hurt so bad. The next few days I was in pain. Each time I get my 10,000 steps my feet and knees hurt so bad.I bought an elliptical machine and can't last more than five minutes and still be able to breathe. I hate how I can't be as active as I want to be. The last thing that added to my weight gain was my husband cheating on me after 30 years. I was devastated and food was my comfort. I have gone from 280 last year to 315 currently. I am done with feeling like this! So I hope I can get this done!

the straw was being embarassed by my wedding pictures a year ago i hated how big i looked and i never even gave out copies of them. also trying to walk my dog of late is a tiring experince that i avoid even though i need to do it and she loves the long walks

I am just starting on my way to WLS. I submitted my insurance info and I am waiting for a response. I had several things that jumped on the last straw to break it. I have been gaining and gaining over the years but really got bad after my hysterectomy 7 years ago. No matter what I do I gain. I saw a picture of myself a few months back and felt horrible. I hated what I saw and why did I let this happen? I have tried many things over the years to lose weight. Most recently I bought a Fitbit and started tracking my food and my steps. I decided to do a 5k that was hosted by my work. I was second to last and finished at 59 minutes 15 seconds. I walked it. There was a point walking it that I had to stop for a second cause I hurt so bad. The next few days I was in pain. Each time I get my 10,000 steps my feet and knees hurt so bad.I bought an elliptical machine and can't last more than five minutes and still be able to breathe. I hate how I can't be as active as I want to be. The last thing that added to my weight gain was my husband cheating on me after 30 years. I was devastated and food was my comfort. I have gone from 280 last year to 315 currently. I am done with feeling like this! So I hope I can get this done!

First and foremost let me congratulate you on accomplishing a 5k, which I have never tried to do nor think of doing. Although you attempted and accomplished it and had to deal with the pain afterwards you did what so many of us thought of doing but wasn't strong nor brave enough to do. Kudos to you!

Second I was so moved by your personal testimony of your trials and testimony, I think this is the first time I have read and cried by one. That being said I truly believe that you are a woman who can accomplish anything that she sets out to do ergo 5k, 10,000 steps and attempting this new journey. Your already a winner to improve on the person you have always been. I wish you much success. Continue to post as I would like to know your outcome.

I'm tired of picking my leg up and placing it on the other in order to put on shoes. Feeling like I'm bout to suffocate when I bend over to tie my shoes. The embarrassing feeling being in an department store trying on heels and feeling as if your bout to suffocate when bending to buckle the trap or just plain getting a cramp in your side throughout the process????just sick and tired of being sick and tired!!! Just ready for the old me!!

I'm tired of picking my leg up and placing it on the other in order to put on shoes. Feeling like I'm bout to suffocate when I bend over to tie my shoes. The embarrassing feeling being in an department store trying on heels and feeling as if your bout to suffocate when bending to buckle the trap or just plain getting a cramp in your side throughout the processjust sick and tired of being sick and tired!!! Just ready for the old me!!

You mean the new you. Look forward for brighter days ;)

Hmmm, let's see...developing severe social anxiety, depression, diabetes, severe joint pain. I basically felt like ????everyday. I told my surgeon that once I get back to onederland, I'm throwing a party in their office. You are all invited...lol.

For my job I was overseeing a project that the news videotaped and put online. I couldn't believe with all that was going on and how little I was on camera how many nasty comments and judgements there were about me. It was humiliating!

I can't imagine. You will be getting the last laugh soon, as you transition to a healthier you! ????

Mine was a traffic accident, after which I gained 68 lbs in about one year. I was always overweight and then also obese, ut the with all the medical and psychological consequences of the accident I completely lost control over my weight. After about a year I finally decided to get help.

Mine was when I went to Six Flags with my spouse, (now ex-spouse, and now I am remarried), and I was at my heaviest weight of 300 back in 1999. We got ready to get on the Batman rollercoaster, and as I was trying to fit into the seat, the bars wouldn't latch because of my big stomach. I had to get off the ride. I was soooooo embarrassed and I let him go on the ride without me. I cried and was miserable the rest of the day. I was afraid to try any other ride for fear of the same embarrassment. Even though I have lost 80 pounds since then, I am still afraid of going to any rides at any amusement parks. It really was devastating to me and I realized that my weight was way out of control. So, I have been struggling all of my life to lose weight so that someday when I reach my goal weight, and before I get too old, that I can get on that ride and conquer that feeling and put it to rest finally.

Edited by Dream4tc

There were a few things that finally pushed me over the edge.

1) Knowing that I was turning 53.

My father (Slightly overweight), who did the Treadmill daily, Played tennis and Bowled weekly, had quadruple bypass at 60y/o.

2) I was very overweight and relatively inactive.

2 years ago after about a 10 year weight loss program, I lost 77lbs. But then it started creeping back up. Before I decided on surgery I had gained 60lbs back.

I thought about it. Weighed the pros and cons for a year, then decided to go for it.

I'm so happy down 37lbs since the surgery in July and I feel great.

Mine was after reading a medical report form the ER labeling me as morbidly obese.

I am having surgery Oct 22nd, my motivation is being able to go places and do things with my daughter who is 11 now. What got me moving towards surgery was when I couldn't give blood at Red Cross because I weighed too much to get on table. I want mad because of weight but because the weight was keeping me from possibly saving someone's life????

What was the final thing that you encountered that made you say this is enough?

NOT being able to:

• walk to the mailbox without becoming winded
  • fit in certain seats (restaurant booth, airplane, amusement park rides, etc.)
  • find the right size/cool clothes (even in the Big & Tall section)
  • clean certain areas without a struggle
  • walk without ankle, knee, and back pain

Edited by Fatty McFatster

Not being able to go to amusement parks

Going shopping in stores with my friends and not buying anything because I couldn't fit it

Seeing a video of myself performing at a college realizing how big I am

Finding out I was pre-diabetic