Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I have been going through the approval process, but until last week I think I was never serious.

I travel for a living, and for the first time, got on a plane and couldn't buckle my belt. I was so humiliated at the thought of asking for the extended in front of my colleagues that I sucked it in and spent 4 hours gasping for breath.

When I got home, I took 2 of my 3 daughters to the store. There was a woman in the parking lot blocking the aisle and talking in her phone, oblivious to a whole line of cars waiting. I gave a little toot on the horn, she moved, and I parked the car. We got out to go into the store and she was waiting behind my car and let loose with a stream of obscenities that I could never repeat. I asked he to stop talking that way in front of my children while trying to get away from her, so she followed us and got personal. She called me fat...and went into detail about how ugly I was. My daughters were sobbing and begging her to stop saying those things to their mommy. And she followed us into the store and continued in front of the other patrons while all 3 of us cried until a store clerk threatened to call the police. People were standing around staring and video taping it on their phones. It nearly broke me, and I am a 2 time cancer survivor who never once let anything beat me before. I vowed in that moment never to be an embarrassment to my girls again, and to get healthy. When I arrived home, I had a message that my surgery was approved and they were ready to set a date. November 23. I'm ready.

I read an article that said if you have more than 50 pounds to lose your chances off keeping it off are 1%. That did it for me right there. I have lost and gained that fifty pounds about 6 times now. This time, I will be keeping if off.

Robin -

In some states, what that woman did to you, yelling, screaming and threatening you, following you, etc. may be considered ASSAULT and MAKING TERRORISTIC THREATS. (She followed you and your children). You felt in fear of her. She did not commit battery, which is putting hands on (touching) another person without permission. But it might be considered an ASSAULT. Check with your local authorities.

In fact if it was done to you and your children, three counts of assault - with two perpetrated upon minors. That woman faced serious legal charges.

Usually "assault and battery" are linked together, but in some cases where the peron is threatening you or you perceive a danger to yourself and/or your children, it can be "assault" combined with "making a threat." I am not a lawyer but you could have gotten the police involved, which in my humble opinion, I would have if I had been you. The police could have told you what your rights were. I know it is too late now (probably)(unless YOU have it on video and know that woman's license plate number and type of car). BUT everyone keep that in mind - you do not have to be touched for it to be an assault, and "battery" consists usually of anyone even just touching another person without permission. Check with a lawyer for you state's statutes.

Wanting children and wanting to be able to do things with them when they grow up. I felt myself getting more and more tired with every step. People would say get out exercise and I would it would just be so exausting going for a walk. My skinny friends would say yeah working out is supposed to be hard. But not so hard that just walking kills u.

I have been going through the approval process, but until last week I think I was never serious.

I travel for a living, and for the first time, got on a plane and couldn't buckle my belt. I was so humiliated at the thought of asking for the extended in front of my colleagues that I sucked it in and spent 4 hours gasping for breath.

When I got home, I took 2 of my 3 daughters to the store. There was a woman in the parking lot blocking the aisle and talking in her phone, oblivious to a whole line of cars waiting. I gave a little toot on the horn, she moved, and I parked the car. We got out to go into the store and she was waiting behind my car and let loose with a stream of obscenities that I could never repeat. I asked he to stop talking that way in front of my children while trying to get away from her, so she followed us and got personal. She called me fat...and went into detail about how ugly I was. My daughters were sobbing and begging her to stop saying those things to their mommy. And she followed us into the store and continued in front of the other patrons while all 3 of us cried until a store clerk threatened to call the police. People were standing around staring and video taping it on their phones. It nearly broke me, and I am a 2 time cancer survivor who never once let anything beat me before. I vowed in that moment never to be an embarrassment to my girls again, and to get healthy. When I arrived home, I had a message that my surgery was approved and they were ready to set a date. November 23. I'm ready.

I'm appalled at that scum of a human and how she treated you and your kids. I don't care if you're 110 lbs or 500 lbs - nobody should EVER do what she did. If you were not over weight she would have found or made up something else to ridicule you about.

I applaud you for taking the steps to get healthier - for yourself and your family- not for ugly people like that scum bag lady. Next time call the police and press charges, at the very least it's a disturbing the peace crime.

Forget about that ugly woman and focus on the loving mother you are. Let's teach our kids that no matter what it's not acceptable to put people down but to instead lift them up.

Hugs and prayers to you.

I'm not sure I can say there was one single straw. I've been gaining/losing weight since I was 12. Kind of an expert, you know? But I was at my highest weight ever and 300 was looming just two small pounds away. A few of the "straws" were:

• Not being able to ride any of the really fun rides at Universal Studios! I sat on a bench while my husband and daughter went on all the rides.
  • Knee pain. A "doctor" who told me he could do nothing to help me until I'd lost 100 pounds.
  • Trying to keep up with a teenage daughter who was about to start high school.
  • Giving up on a successful Pampered Chef business because I didn't have the stamina to lug all of the stuff around that I needed for home shows.
  • Dreading when anyone said, "Let's take the stairs!"
  • Not having any energy. Ever.

I could probably go on. But I have not for one minute regretted my decision to get the sleeve. I'm 47 pounds down on an amazing journey and am feeling great.

CJ

I'm not sure I can say there was one single straw. I've been gaining/losing weight since I was 12. Kind of an expert, you know? But I was at my highest weight ever and 300 was looming just two small pounds away. A few of the "straws" were:

• Not being able to ride any of the really fun rides at Universal Studios! I sat on a bench while my husband and daughter went on all the rides.
  • Knee pain. A "doctor" who told me he could do nothing to help me until I'd lost 100 pounds.
  • Trying to keep up with a teenage daughter who was about to start high school.
  • Giving up on a successful Pampered Chef business because I didn't have the stamina to lug all of the stuff around that I needed for home shows.
  • Dreading when anyone said, "Let's take the stairs!"
  • Not having any energy. Ever.

I could probably go on. But I have not for one minute regretted my decision to get the sleeve. I'm 47 pounds down on an amazing journey and am feeling great.

CJ

Awesome progress CJ!!! I am with you regarding the rides and stairs!

Im looking at death rite in the face...I'm 26 with no children and been married for 7yrs and I can't have kids cuz I'm way to heavy and I feel like if I don't do this I'm going to lose my husband

I feel like I'm carrying a hay bale. I have regained 30 of the 50 pounds I lost 2 years ago doing a medically supervised diet, aka Optifast. I stuck with it for 6 months, lost enough weight that I felt really good. I felt like I had the tools to continue on my own. I maintained for about a year, then I just gave up. I would eat crap and think, if I hit 200 pounds again, I'll buckle down. 200 came, then 207, then 212. I started panicking when I hit 217 and started Keto for 3 weeks and couldn't sustain it. Not without quicker results.

I contacted my weight loss doc and asked about WLS and was told without any comorbidities I didn't qualify with a BMI of 35. I would have to get bigger in order to have it done. What kind of crap is that?

I quit my job about a month later. After sitting around, gaining another 10 pounds, I decided I'd had enough. I know I can't do yo yo dieting forever and this is for my health. My future, my children's future. I can't afford to gain more, become diabetic, have heart disease, etc. It's enough. I'm done.

Watching my mother die from cancer in April of this year. Knowing that I will die someday and my kids will have to watch it as well. So I want to live forever. I know that's not possible but I want a long healthy life. So I started this journey. Wish I would have done it sooner. (Quote)

I watched my best-friend and sister suffer from several diseases related to obesity. She died of heart disease. Getting healthy for me I know its a matter of Life or death and I'm trying to Live. No excuse, this surgery is just a tool. You have to live and work it every day. I'm choosing to work it to the best of my ability! I want to be heathy and meet my great grandchildren.

Edited by LadyK44

The more I dieted the more I put on. The constant struggle of deprivation and disappointment as my scales kept rising. Numerous visits to Dr's who would shrug their shoulders suggesting I "eat healthy, do more exercise". I've been on and off a diet since I was 9 and climb mountains but the scales had a mind of their own. Chronic back pain started, skin issues, unable to sleep comfortably, buying clothes every 2 weeks, pressure from people I do business with asking me all the time about the weight gain, not wearing high heels, feeling tired. Final straw watching myself walk in my underwear on a video for an Ostepath and not recognising that person on the screen carrying all that extra weight.

I feel like I'm carrying a hay bale. I have regained 30 of the 50 pounds I lost 2 years ago doing a medically supervised diet, aka Optifast. I stuck with it for 6 months, lost enough weight that I felt really good. I felt like I had the tools to continue on my own. I maintained for about a year, then I just gave up. I would eat crap and think, if I hit 200 pounds again, I'll buckle down. 200 came, then 207, then 212. I started panicking when I hit 217 and started Keto for 3 weeks and couldn't sustain it. Not without quicker results.

I contacted my weight loss doc and asked about WLS and was told without any comorbidities I didn't qualify with a BMI of 35. I would have to get bigger in order to have it done. What kind of crap is that?

I quit my job about a month later. After sitting around, gaining another 10 pounds, I decided I'd had enough. I know I can't do yo yo dieting forever and this is for my health. My future, my children's future. I can't afford to gain more, become diabetic, have heart disease, etc. It's enough. I'm done.

I understand your struggle. Have you been tested for sleep apnea? You may have it and not even know it. Another comorbidity is asthma. I was surprised that it can be weight related. Those 2 issues helped me qualify.

Another option is the self pay in Mexico. I've read some really good things about it.

When I told my little girl who is 10 that I was thinking of having surgery to lose weight. She looked at me and paused and while her big beautiful brown eyes filled with tears she said "mommy, I'm so happy your going to be so happy." Being fat and obese has taken a toll on my kids happiness, NOT JUST MINE! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!