Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Newbie here. I'm currently researching bariatric surgery institutions and have narrowed it down to UCI and Chicago Institute of Advanced Bariatrics. What got me to this point?

Years of body image issues starting all the way back to elementary school.

Losing weight and never managing to keep it off - usually gaining back more than I had originally lost.

Loving sports, physical activity, CrossFit, and competition, but never being able to enjoy it because of back or joint pain.

Limited clothes/shoe shopping options despite having a love for fashion. Can't even squeeze into a wide-calf boot.

Working in a corporate environment and feeling uncomfortable in business attire so always wearing baggy sweaters, etc. Worrying that my "sloppy" appearance could hold me back from promotion.

Gaining 70 lbs over the course of 3 years. Majority of it being in the last 12-18 months.

As a result...

Could not get on a ride at Six Flags with my 12-yo son this past summer (he was furious that the park didn't make bigger seats lol)

I travel for work and to visit family/friends 4-5 times a year and this last trip I could BARELY squeeze into the economy class seat. It was a painful 4 hour flight.

My son being obviously embarrassed by my size (although he never says it, it is apparent)

Being 33, single, and lonely as hell, but could not even imagine pursuing a relationship or any kind of intimacy.

Hearing the old "you have a beautiful face" statement as if it's supposed to be a compliment.

And ultimately just hating how I look and feel... All day... Everyday.

Needless to say, I'm at the end of my rope right this very moment.

Edited by Laughkc11

My final straw was in July 2015. A few days before leaving for my Florida vacation with my son and fiancé, i was at work and started to have chest pain. Slight at first, but it progressed quickly. I never felt anything like that before. My co-workers and boss were with me, they called an ambulance and rushed me to the hospital. They believed I was having a heart attack. 6 hours and countless tests later, they sent me home. I had to do a stress test, and found out it WASN'T my heart, but something called an esophageal spasm. I went to GI to have a Gastro endoscopy. I have GERD. They gave me pills and send me home. A few days later I got on a ride in universal and the restraint was SO tight, I felt like I was going to die. That's when I said, enough is enough. I have two more nutritionist appointments (ins requires 6). Then I'll be on my way. I just want to be able to fit on a ride. That's not too much to ask. Is it?

My final straw was in July 2015. A few days before leaving for my Florida vacation with my son and fiancé, i was at work and started to have chest pain. Slight at first, but it progressed quickly. I never felt anything like that before. My co-workers and boss were with me, they called an ambulance and rushed me to the hospital. They believed I was having a heart attack. 6 hours and countless tests later, they sent me home. I had to do a stress test, and found out it WASN'T my heart, but something called an esophageal spasm. I went to GI to have a Gastro endoscopy. I have GERD. They gave me pills and send me home. A few days later I got on a ride in universal and the restraint was SO tight, I felt like I was going to die. That's when I said, enough is enough. I have two more nutritionist appointments (ins requires 6). Then I'll be on my way. I just want to be able to fit on a ride. That's not too much to ask. Is it?

Amen sister!! It's not too much to ask. Congrats on making the decision for a healthier life!

I have to add to my original post. My last straw is avoiding the stairs in my house like the plague because of knee pain.

Another straw is on my last flight I had to ask for a belt extender and the flight attendant while nice was not discreet at all. It was embarrassing!

The airplane seats are uncomfortable enough as it is. Add100-120 lbs to my 5'11 frame and it's just about unbearable.

I haven't been on an amusement ride with my kids ever because even before I had them I couldn't fit.

Also realizing that I'm now at my heaviest has convinced me that my decision to do this is a good one. I am 4 lbs away from being as heavy as I was at 8 months pregnant with my first son. :(

Ready for this change! I'm ready to do what I need to do to get and stay healthier! Surgery scheduled for 1/29 ????

Newbie here. I'm currently researching bariatric surgery institutions and have narrowed it down to UCI and Chicago Institute of Advanced Bariatrics. What got me to this point?

Years of body image issues starting all the way back to elementary school.

Losing weight and never managing to keep it off - usually gaining back more than I had originally lost.

Loving sports, physical activity, CrossFit, and competition, but never being able to enjoy it because of back or joint pain.

Limited clothes/shoe shopping options despite having a love for fashion. Can't even squeeze into a wide-calf boot.

Working in a corporate environment and feeling uncomfortable in business attire so always wearing baggy sweaters, etc. Worrying that my "sloppy" appearance could hold me back from promotion.

Gaining 70 lbs over the course of 3 years. Majority of it being in the last 12-18 months.

As a result...

Could not get on a ride at Six Flags with my 12-yo son this past summer (he was furious that the park didn't make bigger seats lol)

I travel for work and to visit family/friends 4-5 times a year and this last trip I could BARELY squeeze into the economy class seat. It was a painful 4 hour flight.

My son being obviously embarrassed by my size (although he never says it, it is apparent)

Being 33, single, and lonely as hell, but could not even imagine pursuing a relationship or any kind of intimacy.

Hearing the old "you have a beautiful face" statement as if it's supposed to be a compliment.

And ultimately just hating how I look and feel... All day... Everyday.

Needless to say, I'm at the end of my rope right this very moment.

I feel you. I went to Dallas last summer and almost had to buy another seat when I got on my flight. On my way back, I had a panic attack from the anxiety of being in such a small space, full flight, seat arms digging into my aides, etc.

Many people tell me I have a beautiful face and I 'wear my wt well" which is really code for "I can't believe you're that fat and still look good sometimes." It hurts.

Many people tell me I have a beautiful face and I 'wear my wt well" which is really code for "I can't believe you're that fat and still look good sometimes." It hurts.

Yes! This! I am so tired of being told " you have a beautiful face" or "you wear your weight well"

I.e. your sort of attractive but your still fat. I just didn't think you were that fat... ????

I had a similar amusement park experience several years ago. They smashed the safety bar down on my body so tight I thought I was going to die, then after the ride, they had much difficulty unlocking the safety bar. Everyone waiting in line was looking at me, or so I thought. Ever since, I have avoided amusement parks. So embarrassing!

I paid extra for emergency row tickets only to be told that you can't sit in that row if you need a seat belt extender. This was the first/last trip I asked for or needed an extender. How utterly humiliating. To top it off Virgin's seats were so narrow that the arm rests dug into my hips the entire flight. My god that flight was excruciating. My Dad and his wife were traveling with my husband and I to Scotland and my Dad, who is 6'3" and not overweight, even complained about the seats.

I feel you. I went to Dallas last summer and almost had to buy another seat when I got on my flight. On my way back, I had a panic attack from the anxiety of being in such a small space, full flight, seat arms digging into my aides, etc.

Yes! This! I am so tired of being told " you have a beautiful face" or "you wear your weight well"

I.e. your sort of attractive but your still fat. I just didn't think you were that fat...

Your such a beautiful person

I paid extra for emergency row tickets only to be told that you can't sit in that row if you need a seat belt extender. This was the first/last trip I asked for or needed an extender. How utterly humiliating. To top it off Virgin's seats were so narrow that the arm rests dug into my hips the entire flight. My god that flight was excruciating. My Dad and his wife were traveling with my husband and I to Scotland and my Dad, who is 6'3" and not overweight, even complained about the seats.

I hope they refunded any extra cost paid for the exit row seat. I too have had to ask for an extender and have the armrests dig into my hips - on most airlines unfortunately. I put them up if I can and on most flights people (always the skinny ones) don't want our hips touching and force it down. Have you ever done wall squats? After a flight I was so sore from basically squatting in my seat to keep my hips from touching the people next to mine. I'm like it's not sexual people!!! My hip is touching yours - so what!!!!!

So ready for change!!!!!!

My doctor telling me I'm a moment away from having a stroke due to my out of control high blood pressure.

Have you begun the process for surgery?

My final straw was besides 17 plus medications and various ailments but looking in the mirror and not recognizing myself. I woke up one day and admitted I was not happy with myself and I notice my self esteem was at a all time low. I decided a change was necessary ASAP!