Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Had The Choice - Would You Do It Again?

Honestly, I dont think I could have gotten through the past month or so if it weren't for jasleeve, between her story being relative and her support be it sleeve related or not. It shows how much this site can really help!!!!

Some other members may have said this also but expect that the first few weeks post op you will be saying "WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?" and regretting it, this is probably normal for anyone, especially if you aren't someone who walks out if the hospital feeling great!

I had some little complications, nothing too big but mostly just lots of nausea for the first week. I am a little over two weeks post op now and feel much better but still struggle to get my Protein in without getting sick. Your tastes will change, and for me the Protein powders just seem disgusting now.

What I have noticed though is the more you heal the better you feel about the decision. Also trying some actual food (even if it is puréed) makes you feel great when the time comes. I had been so miserable and when I had a bite of watery split pea Soup that was puréed I told my hubby I felt like a million bucks! In other words.... During the post op diets a lot of that regret is just from healing, and handling no food when you have become so dependent on it.

Good luck in making your decision. The thing that got me to commit was knowing even if I worked really hard without this change it would not last and I would not get the wonderful results I was hoping for. This is not the easy way out though, it takes lots of commitment!

It's a great question to ask.

I would do it again and I had a complication during surgery. My recovery was a bit slower than others.

I have a question for you. What are your expectations with surgery? Do you know the ins and outs of what is expected of you before surgery and after surgery?

I needed six months pre-approval monthly weigh ins and I had to turn in a food log' date=' Water & exercise log, I had meetings I had to attend, nutritionist, we were told no more coffee, no drinking Water with meals until 1/2 hour after meal). Eat meat first, vegetables second, lower carb intake 45-75, eat 80 grams of Protein a day and stay within 800-1000 calories a day.

If you think you can work on some of your food issues, including "carb mourning" before surgery it will definitely help you afterwards. I worked hard before I had surgery so I had a head-start on losing and I worked out all my kinks. Learning to let go of caffeine, carbonated beverages etc.

I learned to move more, so I wanted to exercise sooner after surgery.

It's not a diet, it's a way of life or a lifestyle, because once you have the surgery, you can't undo it. There's no do-overs.

Even someone like me, that followed the diet plan pre-surgery, still thinks, gosh I really want a big salad, and I make my little plate and I eat my meat and I get a little bummed because there is no room for a salad, I get in a cherry Tomato and bite of lettuce and I'm done, there's no room for a second bite of lettuce or the small cucumber. I'm not hungry, but there is a feeling inside sometimes that ugh, I wanted just one more bite. I am pretty strict with following the rules too and even though I lost 70 pounds pre-surgery, I decided to go ahead with it.

If you can realize this is a lifestyle, though some day if you want a taste of a cake, you could probably have a bite, it is restrictive by nature.

I have heard people say things like "you can't stretch your sleeve". There are days I would like it stretched, just a little bit more, but I think again that has to do with a complication that I had and I'm almost 10 weeks out.

Good luck with your decision, again it's worth it to me, and I know that some day I'll get that second bite of salad in ;)[/quote']

Mina t, trust me, your sleeve will let you eat more later! You aren't totally healed until around a year. Still restriction if you work it right but a lot more than you can eat now. Meat plus 3-4 bites of salad! Lol! And a BIG slice of cake! Yep, all that stuff slides down easily: :).

A funny side effect of abdominal surgery/trauma can be nerve damage!

After gallbladder laproscopy I lost all feeling in right exterior thigh then when it came back it was tingly then stabby! On cymbalta for nerve control...

Any surgery can cause this. I had a huge chunk of my right thigh which literally burned and tingled even though it was numb when I had hysterectomy in 2000. VSG 10 years later (2010) and believe it or not, with the weight loss it is gone! And that was 10 years of numbness, tingling and pain!

absolutely 1000000% I would do it again. Best decision of my life.

I would absulutely do it over again! 100X over even if I never lost another pound than I have already! I had bumps in the road to recovery and still struggle from day to day, but the results have sooooooo been worth it!

I resisted WLS for many years. I felt it just wasn't healthy ! Silly human that I am. Instead I kept dieting myself into a corner. Ended up needing 3 total knee replacements, a foot rebuild, high blood pressure, and in pain all the time. Every doctor I went to suggested WLS. "No no.. it's not healthy. I'll do it on my own." But I couldn't. No diet worked anymore and the little bit of exercise I could manage just wasn't enough. Thank God I found out about the sleeve ! I still think bypass and the band are unhealthy but the sleeve is doing exactly what I needed it to do: I can eat anything, just not enough for 5 people ! Even though I tracked my food religiously for years I must have been lying to myself because since getting the VSG I have lost weight and it's just because I can't eat too much.

So yes, I would do it again. I didn't have any of the really horrible complications and yes, this is major surgery and a major life change. I wish it had been available 20 yrs ago.

If I could turn back time and not get this surgery that would be great! ...This has been the worst experience of my life!

ejune30

hi there

are you feeling any better yet

i see your family tried to talk you out of WLS - are they supportive now to help you. i hope they are not giving you the "i told you so"

by the time you get this, i hope things are going better

sending you good vibes

crossing my fingers and toes for your improvement

good luck

Got pass all the problems and feeling much better

When had surgery 253 now im 215, now my weight is just standing still will it move any more. Im walking doing weights stretching wander will it move,

When had surgery 253 now im 215' date=' now my weight is just standing still will it move any more. Im walking doing weights stretching wander will it move,[/quote']

If you are eating properly, YES, you are just experiencing a "stall" your body is adjusting to the weight you've already lost. Once it's done you will start losing again. This usually doesn't last more than a couple weeks, but the longest one I've seen was 4months. BTW, you will likely experience a few of these.

I would also have to say I Would not do this again. I was sleeved in Mexico 7/9 & then was hospitalized with a bacterial infection & hydration 8/3 for 4 days.

I also have horrible acid reflux, gas all the time which I have never had before!

Getting my Protein & Water in is still a struggle. I have also missed about 4 weeks of work & am due to go back 8/15.

Maybe I should reply to this in a couple of months!

How are you feeling now being a month later? Have you adjusted??

No, I wish I didn't do it and would not do it again if I had the chance to do it over again. Eventually I could have lost the weight on my own. I am totally not happy.