Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Had The Choice - Would You Do It Again?

I would also have to say I Would not do this again. I was sleeved in Mexico 7/9 & then was hospitalized with a bacterial infection & hydration 8/3 for 4 days.

I also have horrible acid reflux, gas all the time which I have never had before!

Getting my Protein & Water in is still a struggle. I have also missed about 4 weeks of work & am due to go back 8/15.

Maybe I should reply to this in a couple of months!

So sorry to hear this. Tell you what, we both need to post in a month or two and report back on how much our feelings have changed! :)

i dont mean to discourage anyone but if i had to do this again' date=' i absolutely WOULD NOT!!!!! i was the 1 out of 100 that was diagnosed with a leak (at week 5) and i became seriously ill. i didnt eat for over a month and i threw up bile about 2-10x a day! the 2x per day were my great days although i fought nausea non stop but my 10x per day days were the ones where i was convinced i was going to die! the drs threw around the word fatal one too many times to my liking. i had 3 emergency procedures and even made a few er visits. it got to the point where i was seeing my drs atleast 2x a week & calling my surgeons partner crying every single day!!!!

im down over 100lbs in less than 8months. i look great & feel great now but at the risk of going through that life changing experience, NEVER![/quote']

OMG I can not believe you went through all that. I am so sorry. Glad ou are doing better.

Knowing what I know now, Yes in a heartbeat. The only thing is, this is not a fix all. It is a too. You have to change your eating habits.

I'm 18 days out now and yes, I would absolutely positively do this again. It is a complete 180 on your life though, so being in the right mindset is definitely necessary. I have rough days where I mourn food. I get frustrated sometimes at how little I can eat. But it's still worth it to me. Not even 3 weeks out and I can already walk longer, farther, and faster than I could pre-surgery. I'm down about 25 pounds now. My blood pressure was creeping up and now it's not. I was having tachycardia in the evenings and now it's gone. It is by no means easy after surgery, but I wouldn't trade it.

All of the board members who have had complications though, I just want to say that every time I read you guys posts I'm really impressed at how brave you are. It must take a lot to open up about something that was such a physical and emotional roller coaster. I really respect that you are willing to talk about to help others with their decision. I know reading posts on it before my surgery really gave me some perspective. We have some very strong people here, and i'm glad that things ended up ok in the end.

As a pre-op I appreciate hearing from all perspectives. It's important to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. Isajck and lulu girl, I hope in a month when you check in that you are happier with your decisions.

I started my journey about 2 years ago at the recommendation of my new physician at my first physical. Didnt even know the guy and he recommended it. My sister in law has gastric bypass 15 yrs ago and still has problems, but things have come a long way. I asked my doc what the biggest regret was among his patient pool about wls and his answer was "not having it sooner". Then I went out to my car and cried for quite a while. I knew I was big, but never thought I was big enough to need it. My medical issues were starting to interfere with day to day life. I tried loosing first with medifast (just one more attempt to add to the list), but I was always hungry and once I stopped I gained it back. I was going to do the band last year, but because of back issues could not do it since I need anti inflamatories (which destroy the band). Then once I decided on the sleeve, the insurance approval testing and 6 month weigh ins took me almost a year. FYI - in retrospect I should have seen the nutritionist before the 6 month weigh ins.

My day came 7/16/12. Recovery was tough the first 2 weeks, still not ready to run a marathon, but it does get better each day! I am in the mushy food stage and can't seem to get in enough food or liquids yet. Went to a graduation pty on Saturday and it was rough. Didnt bring anything with me to eat and kept walking around the pty with Water and trying to figure out if I could make anything work. I am pretty strict about following the food guidelines because I don't want to risk getting sick. I couldn't eat one thing at the party, but several people did tell me how amazing I looked; which made it worth it. I also felt much more comfortable in my skin, since finding a cute outfit to wear wasn't so hard! Not being able to have a glass of wine did suck and next time I will need to plan a food choice a little better! This is a major life change, but I'm not ever hungry and so far it doesn't seem I will ever be able to get that much food down. Portions were a huge issue for me and now they are not because your sleeve will fight back right away. I've even managed to introduce a few healthier options to my girls (like cream of wheat with cinnamon and truvia sugar so delicious!

I feel like I have control back over my life so I agree I really do wish I had done this sooner, but it's never too late to start living!

Good luck!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I just had to express my opinion on the topic. If I could turn back time and not get this surgery that would be great! If I would of listened to a few of my family members that told me not to get the surgery my life would be fine right now. I cannot tell you how much I have thought about this. I got the surgery on June 18th in Mexico, everything seemed fine. I was not in alot of pain, passed my leak test, just really tired.

I was post-op 3 weeks when I realized I was not getting better. I could not eat apple sauce, yogurt, etc....

I had to go to the emergency room 4 times to be given IV fluids from dehydration.

Finally, I knew something was not right! I asked my sister to drive me to a hospital in the city because we live in a pretty small town. The next morning she drove me to Phoenix, AZ to a hospital that had a Bariatric unit. They did a cat scan. Not only did I have a leak, I also had a stricture.

I had to stay in the hospital for a week. I had 2 stints put in my stomach. That was on July 19th. I have been living off fluids only.

This has been the worst experience of my life!

I have lost over 45 pounds and I could care less because to me, I am in the worst health I have been in my entire life.

I get my stints out on Thursday.

There was a couple times where I actually thought I was going to die. I know that alot of people have had great success with this surgery, but lets not forget that some people suffer from complications and some people suffer from death.

By the way the Bariatric center I was taken care of at saved my life and they have not had a leak there in five years!!!!!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I just had to express my opinion on the topic. If I could turn back time and not get this surgery that would be great! If I would of listened to a few of my family members that told me not to get the surgery my life would be fine right now. I cannot tell you how much I have thought about this. I got the surgery on June 18th in Mexico, everything seemed fine. I was not in alot of pain, passed my leak test, just really tired.

I was post-op 3 weeks when I realized I was not getting better. I could not eat apple sauce, yogurt, etc....

I had to go to the emergency room 4 times to be given IV fluids from dehydration.

Finally, I knew something was not right! I asked my sister to drive me to a hospital in the city because we live in a pretty small town. The next morning she drove me to Phoenix, AZ to a hospital that had a Bariatric unit. They did a cat scan. Not only did I have a leak, I also had a stricture.

I had to stay in the hospital for a week. I had 2 stints put in my stomach. That was on July 19th. I have been living off fluids only.

This has been the worst experience of my life!

I have lost over 45 pounds and I could care less because to me, I am in the worst health I have been in my entire life.

I get my stints out on Thursday.

There was a couple times where I actually thought I was going to die. I know that alot of people have had great success with this surgery, but lets not forget that some people suffer from complications and some people suffer from death.

By the way the Bariatric center I was taken care of at saved my life and they have not had a leak there in five years!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your health issues. I also had VSG in Mexico 7/9 & have been hospitalized for a bacteria infection & dehydration. I also live in AZ!

Im doing better but having major refllux issue. the good news is that I have a bariatric surgeon overseeing me now in AZ, & have a GI consult on Wednesday.

I hope You are feeling better soon!

Hey Jasleeve, I can identify with your colorful post surgery problems, mine were very solar to yours. All I could drink for three months was ice Water. My new stomach tolerated nothing. I ended up in a wheel chair for almost 6 month. I had no strength for anything. The dry heaves took over what was left over what was left of my life and I wanted to die. 18 months later I can walk and have balance issues but thank God I. Can walk. If had asked the first few month if I regretted my surgery I would have said ur. Absolutely . But now 2 years out and I've lost 140 lbs I feel great and do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck to you all!

i am 59 years old and have been overweight all my life. Yes, i only wish i had done it sooner. <3

My highest weight was 328 in November 2011. That is when i started looking into WLS. With my wonderful husbands help, we went on high protein/low carb eating... all tests and appointments completed in March 2012... Surgery was May 2, 2012 and my surgery weight was 294...((-34 pounds pre-op)) i now weigh 244...... i take my measurements on the 2nd of each month....As of August 2, i have lost 50 inches total.... ((yes, 50 pounds and 50 inches since surgery))

i am sorry i rambled on and on.... i am just so happy with my WLS that i tend to go on and on....

yes- i would do it again... :)

good luck with your decision...

tjmom/Sandy

thank u!

OMG I can not believe you went through all that. I am so sorry. Glad ou are doing better.

wow. u would do it again? youre one strong cookie because i know i couldnt & wouldnt. i have balance issues too now. i stumble sometimes. before, it was often. now just here & there.

Hey Jasleeve, I can identify with your colorful post surgery problems, mine were very solar to yours. All I could drink for three months was ice Water. My new stomach tolerated nothing. I ended up in a wheel chair for almost 6 month. I had no strength for anything. The dry heaves took over what was left over what was left of my life and I wanted to die. 18 months later I can walk and have balance issues but thank God I. Can walk. If had asked the first few month if I regretted my surgery I would have said ur. Absolutely . But now 2 years out and I've lost 140 lbs I feel great and do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck to you all!

Would I do it again? Yes.

I would have liked to not have done it in the first place, but I have never been a normal size in my life, and felt no other choice. But I am glad I made the decision, not only for the weight loss but the emotional changes that have come along with it. I am happier and healthier than I have been in my life.

My.best advise is that you should be ready for the emotional and life changes that come with the sleeve. You have to commit to changing your lifestyle and giving up old ways. It is not always an easy process, can be very confronting but worth it.

Good luck to you all!

Wow, God bless you for having the strength and courage to go through all of that. Your positive attitude is very inspiring and goes to show that with the right frame of mind, you really can overcome anything. Thank you so much for posting this!! I am so glad you are okay!

Wow' date=' God bless you for having the strength and courage to go through all of that. Your positive attitude is very inspiring and goes to show that with the right frame of mind, you really can overcome anything. Thank you so much for posting this!! I am so glad you are okay![/quote']

Thank you for writing as well. I have to admit, I still have my moments. It has psychologically drained me. I've been in therapy for about a year now and things are better. I still haven't been able to return to work and not sure I ever will be able too due to the neuropathy in my legs.

I thought I had researched this surgery til there was nothing else that could be found and I was wrong. There is always more, just didn't look for the bad stuff.