Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Had The Choice - Would You Do It Again?

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm a newbie to the group...A super-newbie, really - since I'm still trying to decide whether to take the plunge into WLS or not. I swear...the more research I do, the more confused I get! It's good to research all the 'facts and statistics', but I feel there is still such a huge 'uknown' to it all. I hate 'unknowns'!! I know every person's experience is different...and I also know there's no way for me to predict exactly how my body & mind will handle the sleeve before going ahead with it. (Sure would make this decision easier, if I could though!) Anywhoo...I was thinking it might help to hear from those who've had the surgery. My biggest question is the whole, "If I knew then what I know now" deal. If you could do it all over again....would you? I totally welcome any responses...the good...the bad...or the ugly :) Thanks in advance. This seems like a really great forum for support.

I am a little over 4 months out and still asking myself that question. When I look at my before surgery pictures, I think that I would still have it, but it's a constant battle to get used to this new life at this point.

I love the weightloss and am hoping for the health benefits soon (lower blood pressure) but constantly trying to figure out what I CAN eat is hard sometimes. I found that I can not tolerate alot of foods so far and I have TRIED - so I stick to mostly the same thing. This is the part I find most difficult.. I love variety and different types of food and so far, my sleeve is NOT having it. These struggles make me miss my old stomach :( --- but I am hoping the further out I get, things will change.

Maybe I am not the best person to respond because I am still SO MUCH of a work in progess but felt I would give my two cents. :)

Good luck with whaever you decide!

I would do this again in a heart beat! The idea of surgery really scared me, but the whole procedure and recovery was really very easy. The hardest part for me was adjusting to eating/drinking the first month. Every day and each week was a little easier. I am only two months out, and the transformation has been dramatic! I have lost 38 lbs since surgery, plus 15 lbs during the pre-op diet. I have NEVER been able to lose that much on my own, let alone keep it off! I still have a ways to go, but I know that I will finally be able to reach my goal weight over time. I have a ton of energy and I am not hungry! It has been wonderful. It took me two years to make up my mind to finally do this. My only regret is that I did not do it two years ago!

I wish you luck in your research and your decision. This forum is a great place to come if you are looking for information, inspiration and support!

Wish i would have done this years ago. I feel great only two weeks post op lost about 25 and only 60 more to go. You will love the new life after surgery.

I'm almost 7 weeks out from surgery now. I'm just now getting to a place mentally where I'm ok with the decision I made. Its not the easy way out for sure, but I think that at least for me personally, the benefits, in the end, will far away the things that frustrate me.

I've lost almost 50 pounds. I'm already off my blood pressure medication, and I have PCOS (and it seems that my symptoms are lessening). I feel more energetic and can move better now that I'm exercising. When I wake up, I don't feel achey or hurt when I walk my dog in the AM.

The things that frustrate me, really are the or were the mental challenges for the 6-7 weeks you don't really eat food. It gets old, and I was a little slow at healing because I pulled an internal stictch.

I think in another month, I'm going to sound like all the rest of the people on this forum who say its the best thing they ever did. Only, I want to also be one of the people, who say its not magic, and you will have hard times, and you might struggle with things, but sometimes, when we face our fears and fight through the hard parts, good things await us.

I didn't think I would mourn food, but I sorta did. I mourned the ease of going into the kitchen to cook dinner for me and my bf, instead he would have dinner (trying to hide it from for guilt of eating around me) and I'd have a Protein shake. After weeks of this, I did feel frustrated. Once I was on mushies, and now back on real food... this feeling is deminishing and I'm the happiest I've been in a long time.

Its a big decison, and I encourage you to take all the time in the world to make your decision. If you have any questions about anything that I can answer, totally willing to give you an honest none glittery answer. :)

If you would have asked that question when I was about 5 days post-op I would have said NO!! But now that I'm almost 7 weeks out I would definitely do it again!! The first week was the hardest for me but day by day & week by week it gets so much better!! My sleeve can tolerate anything. I can eat anything I want just not much at all & that's exactly what I wanted!! I've lost 35 lbs in 7 weeks, I've never been able to do that before!! :)

It's a great question to ask.

I would do it again and I had a complication during surgery. My recovery was a bit slower than others.

I have a question for you. What are your expectations with surgery? Do you know the ins and outs of what is expected of you before surgery and after surgery?

I needed six months pre-approval monthly weigh ins and I had to turn in a food log, Water & exercise log, I had meetings I had to attend, nutritionist, we were told no more coffee, no drinking Water with meals until 1/2 hour after meal). Eat meat first, vegetables second, lower carb intake 45-75, eat 80 grams of Protein a day and stay within 800-1000 calories a day.

If you think you can work on some of your food issues, including "carb mourning" before surgery it will definitely help you afterwards. I worked hard before I had surgery so I had a head-start on losing and I worked out all my kinks. Learning to let go of caffeine, carbonated beverages etc.

I learned to move more, so I wanted to exercise sooner after surgery.

It's not a diet, it's a way of life or a lifestyle, because once you have the surgery, you can't undo it. There's no do-overs.

Even someone like me, that followed the diet plan pre-surgery, still thinks, gosh I really want a big salad, and I make my little plate and I eat my meat and I get a little bummed because there is no room for a salad, I get in a cherry Tomato and bite of lettuce and I'm done, there's no room for a second bite of lettuce or the small cucumber. I'm not hungry, but there is a feeling inside sometimes that ugh, I wanted just one more bite. I am pretty strict with following the rules too and even though I lost 70 pounds pre-surgery, I decided to go ahead with it.

If you can realize this is a lifestyle, though some day if you want a taste of a cake, you could probably have a bite, it is restrictive by nature.

I have heard people say things like "you can't stretch your sleeve". There are days I would like it stretched, just a little bit more, but I think again that has to do with a complication that I had and I'm almost 10 weeks out.

Good luck with your decision, again it's worth it to me, and I know that some day I'll get that second bite of salad in ;)

If you could do it all over again.

babysteppin

I had absolutely no problems pre-op or post op WLS

Easy recovery too.

I would suggest the sleeve to all

I wouldn't blink an eye, before i did it again - best thing i ever did for myself

hope you proceed with the sleeve, IMO its the best type of WLS - of course i'm slightly biased

hope you make the right decision

kathy

happily sleeved since 12/15/11

Without a doubt...I would do it all over again! I had absolutely no issues. I am 28 lbs from goal in 6 months. Everyone is different but in reading this forum, most had very little or no issues. I wasnt able to lose the weight before but now I am. I had high blood pressure...gone! I have my energy back, I can keep up with the kids now too! I eat what I want. I make healthier choices but I do not go without. Best of luck in your decision.

Im a 19yr OLd

&i Was Scared To Death!!

Even Worse Cause I Got SLeeved in Mexico!!

But Let Me TeLL You This, Not At One Point Have I Regreted My Surgery!

The Worst Part Was My 1st Day PostOp

By My 2nd &3rd Day I Was Just FeeLing Minor Discomforts..

After that I was feeling NormaL aGain!!

Now,

75 Lbs Down in 5Months!

WOMAN THAT'S AMAZING!!! :D

if I'd Knew Then What I Know Now ii WouLdnt Have Been Such A SCARRY Asz!!

FoLLow Your Gut! &Do What Best FeeLs For Your Situation! :)

Hi

I wish I did it years ago. I am 5 day post op, drop 25 lbs from pre op diet to now.

I was released Thurs. I was taken of 2 blood pressure, diabetic, cholestohal,

and Water pill meds. I could not beleive everything was in the nomal range. I have

been on these meds for years. The only bad thing is I have hundres of $ wrapped up

in these pill I still have, I will bite the bullet and take the loose with these worthless

pills.

Wish You The Best

Thank you SO much everyone. I wasn't sure if anyone would respond...but you are all so wonderful :) It is reassuring to notice in your replies that the positive things seem to be outweighing the negative. And I also really appreciate your honesty about some of the 'not-so-flowery' things too :) I'm learning from doctors, and now you guys - that it really is a total 180-degree lifestyle change, and that the surgery is a physical tool to help support you in some of those changes. The rest would be up to ME, I guess! At one point in my life I managed to lose 165lbs through diet and exercise...but man, it feels virtually impossible to do that all over again...let alone maintain it without the help of WLS.

I'm seeing a Psychiatrist for the initial evaluation in a couple of weeks, and then going to an all day "Immersion Day" program at the hospital, where I'll be inundated with information. I've been considering WLS for over a year now, so I hope I'll be closer to a decision after going through these appointments. Besides the physical adjustments to surgery itself, I think one of my biggest fears is the 'mourning of food', like someone here mentioned. Sounds silly, but I realize that food and I have been having a lifelong love affair! Man, what a nasty divorce it might be...hehe. But one way or another, it needs to happen. Thanks again for all your support :)

18 days post op and not a single regret. Sure, there's been a few bumps along the way but they are short lived. If I feel this good 18 days out, I'm looking forward to feeling absolutely awesome in 4 months time.

Dealing mentally with the fact that my portion sizes have decreased by 90% has been and continues to be the biggest hurdle for me. However, I no longer want to stuff my face with all the wrong foods all day long, to end up feeling bloated and lethargic and fatter.

I eat less, I eat healthier, I'm way more energetic and I feel amazingly good. Not a single regret.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Starting weight 205 pounds. Weight now 193. Goal weight 134. Height 5"4

I'd do it again in a second. Look at my ticker!

i dont mean to discourage anyone but if i had to do this again, i absolutely WOULD NOT!!!!! i was the 1 out of 100 that was diagnosed with a leak (at week 5) and i became seriously ill. i didnt eat for over a month and i threw up bile about 2-10x a day! the 2x per day were my great days although i fought nausea non stop but my 10x per day days were the ones where i was convinced i was going to die! the drs threw around the word fatal one too many times to my liking. i had 3 emergency procedures and even made a few er visits. it got to the point where i was seeing my drs atleast 2x a week & calling my surgeons partner crying every single day!!!!

im down over 100lbs in less than 8months. i look great & feel great now but at the risk of going through that life changing experience, NEVER!