Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Hello all!

I'm Courtney and I've been a nurse for 10 years. I worked on a LTAC unit for 8 years then transferred into the EHR department.

I have not been sleeved but that is my goal. Here is my condensed story...

May 2, 2011--lap-band placed

January, 2013--surgical release of band due to band slip

March, 2013--surgical reattachment of band and sutures placed to keep band from slipping again. 24 hours later, I was interviewing for the position I'm in now!

December 5, 2014--surgical removal of lap-band due to another slip even after sutured in place.

I attempted to maintain my weight on my own but was unsuccessful. After careful consideration and lots of research, I requested to get the sleeve. My surgeon has been incredibly supportive.

I was approved by my insurance company and received my letter last week. Now to figure out a surgery date. As luck would have it, my surgeon is going to be off from the end of June through the end of August for knee replacement. It's unclear if his old partner, who is seeing patients while my doc is out, will do my surgery or if I have to wait until early to mid September.

The waiting and not knowing is really testing me! I'm ready to get the surgery over with and start this new part of my life.

-C

I received a call last week asking if I was available for surgery on August 7. Stunned, I said yes! I was certain I would have to wait for the original surgeon to get back which could have been mid September. Now I officially have my surgery date, two weeks away. I'm on Day 2 of my pre-op diet. This is going to be a long two weeks :(

Hi my name is dawn surgery scheduled 10-6 I am a nurse from Ny. I am 36 yrs old I work with geriatric population I see the effects of being overweight ong term everyday. It is partly why I am doing this. It is also scary being a nurse and being so aware of complications that can occur too. It is a constant battle with myself I just keep believing i am making the right choice and pray for a positive outcome. Nurses are a very special and strong kind of person

Hi gang! I'm still trucking along...weight loss slowed quite a bit, which was fustrating, but I'm still on track. Still working in LTC, combination of 8 and 12 hour shifts, days and nights. Sometimes wonder if the surgeon was right and I should stop shift work, but that is easier said than done. From March-September 24, 2014 I lost 50 pounds on my own. I was sleeved September 24, and have lost 119 pounds to date. I have 28 pounds left to reach goal! I feel amazing. I am so proud of myself. More energy, less pain, the heat isn't bothering me like it used to, I can buy clothes in a straight-size store. I used to wear a 26/28+, but am now wearing a size 14...might be into a 12 soon. 4x/5x, now anywhere from M-XL. Here is a picture of me with a friend in March 2014, and me on July 4th at a wedding in a short dress, and me in my kitchen a few days later! post-231371-14381263264092_thumb.jpg post-231371-14381263425536_thumb.jpg post-231371-14381263634223_thumb.jpg

Hi I'm a RN since 1981 and have worked many different areas. I'm scheduled for surgery on August 11 in the Kansas City area. I would love to have some support going through this journey.

Edited by kkaywsch

Hello all

I'm Stephanie. I've been a RN for 3 years. I work in med/surg. I'm still pre op---cardio is complete, psych evaluation is complete, just awaiting my sleep study (scheduled for August). I'm excited!!! BMI 42, Current weight 240.

Hi Jana and All!

I am an RN from NYC and I am in the preapproval process right now. My surgery is currently scheduled for the 28th of Sept. at Bellevue Hospital. I have two nursing school classmates who had the sleeve procedure there and are doing great.

I an a new nurse with little experience so far. I passed the NCLEX last August and have been working homecare per diem here and there.

My greatest concern is mixed with my greatest hope. That I will be hired for a more permanent position right around the time of my surgery.

I have recently had 4 very successful interviews that I am waiting to hear back from and all of the positions start in September.

My question to all of you is, how did you balance your new sleeve with work? Was recovery long/difficult? One of my friends was able to go back to work two days out from surgery but I know that recovery is very individual.

Was anyone feeling ill and working post op?

How did you broach the topic with employers? Should I lay it all out on the table in my interviews or wait till I'm hired to let people know I plan to do this?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

So glad I found this thread!!!!

Thanks!

Regina

Regarding your question about informing potential employers of your plan for surgery...

I had a revision on my lap-band on a Thursday and was in an interview within 24 hours after the surgery. I had the same kind of question...do I tell them I had surgery the day before? I decided not to disclose that information and everything turned out well...I got the job. I think of an anticipatory surgery like I do about a vacation. Don't disclose that in the interview but if/when you are offered the position and are discussing a start, then you can mention you have a procedure coming up especially if you have a set surgery date. If you are discussing a start date and don't have a surgery date, I wouldn't mention it. Does that make sense?!

Anyway, I'm scheduled for the sleeve on Friday, August 7.

Good luck!

-C

Hello All!

So glad to have found this board. I decided on WLS after being inspired by so many of my own patients that desire a longer and healthier life. I work FT from home (telecommuter Utilization/DM) and prn in a float pool. Attended a seminar last week; called by the surgeon's office this week. Scheduled for initial consult mid September. My insurance (BCBS-IL) requires no medically supervised program...just BMI requirements, nutritional c/s, psyche eval, and physical assessment. Excited to begin this journey. Current weight 267 :blink: BMI 45. Carolinas Weight Management. Receptive to feedback and experiences.

I'm being sleeved on September 25 2015 I'm so happy I don't knw what to do

CONGRATS!! Best wishes! :D

Any one a bedside nurse, how long did you take off work after getting sleeved?

@@HealthyRN I work in your average busy ICU on the night shift. I took off 2 weeks, and if it wasn't for coming down with strep throat a week after my surgery, I could have gone back to work sooner. I was on a modified weight lifting restriction and my co-workers were more than happy to help me with my turns. Good luck on your journey!