Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Hi everyone, I've been a nurse for 2 years, work nights on mother/baby...but trying to go to the OR on days as I had my surgery April 23, and nights are brutal! I'm down 36 lbs, but having a bit of depression at this point. Has anyone experienced this?

Yes, I have been having the depression too. It would be less if I had lost 36 pounds since surgery! I had my surgery April 24th and am down 14 pounds. I am still hungry and my tastes for food haven't changed. Obviously I can only fit much smaller amounts but suprisingly at 6 1/2 weeks out I can drink 8 ounces at a time with no problem so getting my fluids is all of a sudden no challenge. Of course since I can fit the same amount of food I find I have to watch every calorie again just 6 weeks out. Luckily I had already developed good eating habits and lost close to 50 pounds prior to surgery. But everything about my surgery has left me depressed.

Edited by lynneanne

Let me know how you do.

Edited by lynneanne

Well since surgery I've lost 25. But I have had a bit of a rocky recovery with nausea and pain and Not being about to eat or drink and nothing tastes right. I am happy with the weight loss, I just feel a bit crazy with my mood. I'm either crying or angry, I be never felt like this and just wanna Lay in bed. It's like I am learning to live again, and I never know how my crazy new stomach will react! Its hard to talk to anyone bc they do not understand what I'm feeling. I just figured I would try this. As far as your weight loss, everyone is different and if you have lost that much you are doing great!

Well since surgery I've lost 25. But I have had a bit of a rocky recovery with nausea and pain and Not being about to eat or drink and nothing tastes right. I am happy with the weight loss, I just feel a bit crazy with my mood. I'm either crying or angry, I be never felt like this and just wanna Lay in bed. It's like I am learning to live again, and I never know how my crazy new stomach will react! Its hard to talk to anyone bc they do not understand what I'm feeling. I just figured I would try this. As far as your weight loss, everyone is different and if you have lost that much you are doing great!

Just having been a nurse for 2 years is enough to get someone depressed!! No kidding - I retired 3 years ago - I'm 57 and the stress of being an RN just about killed me. I was the RN night house manager of a 200 bed state mental hospital and worked step down agency as well. I did staff development for many years also. Now add this surgery and all your other responsibilities and it is VERY hard. You take care of people for a living - families who are many times very hard to deal with any your hormones are all out of whack. Also I find you must go through all the stages of grief for your old life - you are in anger. It's not all wonderful after surgery as some would have you believe but maintaining weight was my goal and I have to keep reminding myself that. Don't be afraid to get on antidepressant therapy and see a psychiatrist if you aten't already. Almost every nurse I ever worked with was on some sort of antidepressant even if they kept it private. Nursing is SUPER STRESSFUL even without a gastric sleeve recovery. Why do you think there is such a massive RNP?

Two months postop for me, one month into a new job in a busy level 3 nicu. It has been extremely hard getting enough calories, Protein & especially fluids in during those 12 hours shifts. Had a lot of terrible acid reflux pain from the stress as well. But so far, 38 lbs down & it is getting better.

I have not seen a therapist yet, I am trying to get a new job on days because nights are kicking my butt. I work on mother/baby, but just interviewed in women's OR. My surgeon actually put in a good word for me! I would actually be in lots of bariatric surgeries, how crazy is that! I definitely think I may need to at least go talk to a therapist or find a good support group. I'm not sure about meds, they never worked for me before. Everything I've read says this stage gets better, I sure hope so!

I was a nurse for 35 years mainly Labor & Delivery & single unit L & D, and mother baby. 10 years a Hospital Supervisor . Retired in 2006. Was sleeved 16 months ago & list 85 pounds. Have been at goal since October, feeling great

Hi, my name is Lisa and I , too am an RN ( for 35 years). I am having gastric sleeve on June 22 and am 5 days into my liquid diet. It's not easy, especially since I work nights (3-4 nights/week ) - but I keep the long term goal always in mind!! ( I'm 5'3 and currently weigh 200 Ibs- have lost 5 Ibs so far on this preop diet )

Hello all!

I'm Courtney and I've been a nurse for 10 years. I worked on a LTAC unit for 8 years then transferred into the EHR department.

I have not been sleeved but that is my goal. Here is my condensed story...

May 2, 2011--lap-band placed

January, 2013--surgical release of band due to band slip

March, 2013--surgical reattachment of band and sutures placed to keep band from slipping again. 24 hours later, I was interviewing for the position I'm in now!

December 5, 2014--surgical removal of lap-band due to another slip even after sutured in place.

I attempted to maintain my weight on my own but was unsuccessful. After careful consideration and lots of research, I requested to get the sleeve. My surgeon has been incredibly supportive.

I was approved by my insurance company and received my letter last week. Now to figure out a surgery date. As luck would have it, my surgeon is going to be off from the end of June through the end of August for knee replacement. It's unclear if his old partner, who is seeing patients while my doc is out, will do my surgery or if I have to wait until early to mid September.

The waiting and not knowing is really testing me! I'm ready to get the surgery over with and start this new part of my life.

-C

Me on the right in first pic prior to surgery. Bottom pic taken last weekend. Not too bad I guess even though when I look in the mirror I still see the me in the first one.

post-221969-14343362269896_thumb.jpg

post-221969-14343362667259_thumb.jpg

Edited by tabby76

I've been meaning to update but times are been crazy lately.

I finished my first semester of nursing school with all B's. My highest was an 88 med-surg. I'm eager for the next semester to begin but trying to enjoy the summer as well.

I haven't weighed myself since around may 30th, but I've lost 1390 pounds.

I had a "panniculectomy" on June 10th. But my surgeon is amazing and did the whole area minus the muscles as well as moved my belly button.

I will post pictures upon request.

Things are going quite well. Healing hasn't been too bad. I'm walking mostly upright now.

Before I started nursing school, I got divorced which is one of the best decisions I could've made. Although we share two small children, it has been best for them as well.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to update for my fellow nursing sleevers. :)

Good morning! SDU RN 12 yrs- sleeved July 2014 - down 100 lbs! Working out 3-4 times a week! Stalled multiple times! Need to lose another 40 lbs - weight loss has really slowed down last few months. Have to work out more and really watch intake as I feel like u can eat more now then in the beginning. Really have to work at getting h2o in while working. As

You know too easy to get caught up with patient care. Good luck to you all-

Pediatric home health nurse here, getting sleeved in three weeks! Pre-op diet is started, everything is ready to go...but I feel tremendously guilty about leaving patients for an extended period.

@@BarrySue Don't feel guilty! Your patients will benefit from a healthier nurse! Good luck with your surgery.