Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Thought I Wasn't Supposed To Be Hungry? Just Home

Just got home from the hospital yesterday from getting my sleeve surgery. My husband is eating a burger and fries in front of me and all I want to do is grab the fries out of the bag and eat them!

My stomach is full from the chicken broth and Popsicle I just had so what is the deal? I'm really worried because I've talked to other people who say they are not hungry after surgery. Will my taste buds change to catch up with my new tiny stomach?

This is not hunger. This is head hunger. Your body is not hungry, you only think it is and want it. It is all a mental thing that takes some time to get over. But you need to acknowledge it now as you not really being hungry or else you will start to confuse the two and eat when you don't need to.

It is tough but it can be overcome.

I honestly think it depends on the person. I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks after surgery and i would get hungry. People would tell me its probly just stomach acid but no I was hungry; my stomach was growling, I would get the shakes and everything. If I drunk all the Protein Shakes i was supposed to I wouldn't get hungry but I was just so sick of the shakes. I didn't start feeling the restriction and fullness until I moved to the puree stage, then that's when I knew that there was a change. Now I really do have to remind myself to eat or I won't get my Protein in. I am now about a month out.

i haven't been sleeved yet but another poster put this up and it stuck with me. search for "Preops: Ppis Are Important!" She says alot of things and addresses hunger and the use of PPIs.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

The hunger pains could also be healing pains. You *cut your finger, it throbs, so does your stomach and it feels the same as hunger pains and also acid can contribute to it.

The wanting to grab the sandwich is head hunger, it's an emotional thing. If you start looking at it analytically, it sometimes helps you to deal with it.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by MinaT

First of all, tell your husband to put down the burger. That is not very helpful to eat it right in front of you. Secondly, in this case, I would say it is head hunger, a craving. It looks good, it smells good, you want to taste it. If you say you are feeling full, then it is your head playing games with you.

I do feel hungry, and I think others do as well. But I can tell you it is not the same as before surgery, and it is usually after I have not eaten for 5 plus hours. I DO still have head hunger and cravings though and that is the toughest part to overcome with surgery. You can have your stomach cut out, but not your brain, and your brain accounts for a big portion as to why you gained weight in the first place. And honestly, my taste buds have not changed. chocolate to me tastes just as good now as it did before. Everyone is different though, and many say that when they actually eat the burger, fried, pizza, chocolate, whatever, it doesn't taste as good.

I do agree about the PPI's (proton pump inhibitors). Sometimes excess acid production can feel like a rumbly tummy, so make sure you talk to your doctor about it.

I have felt this before as well. Its normal to think you want a burger and fries--really! The good news is that soon enough you will be able to eat a few bites of burger patty and fries and the REALLY good news is that those few bites are going to satisfy you like nothing has ever satisfied you before.

Believe me! It's normal to want something solid at your stage, anything solid, really. I agree with the other commentators here that what you're experiencing is head hunger. When I get head hunger, I focus on what taste I am craving, and satisfy it in a way that makes sense. If you want a burger, and since you're on a liquid diet, drink some extra beefy broth. It isn't the same thing obviously, but it fits the flavor profile you want.

If that fails, distract yourself long enough for the head hunger to pass--good news is, it always does.

I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I got the surgery and like less than a week after surgery, full fluids weren't cutting it, I moved on to pureed and then mushies and then to whole food by week 2, because I was still getting hungry all the time, and not staying full even with lots of Protein.< /p>

Let me know if you find something that works for you!

Thanks for responding. Yesterday my friend came over with homemade lasagna and garlic bread for my hubby and son!!, Omg I was dying the whole time. I was full from my shake so of course my little sleeve didn't have room for anymore but it smelled so good... :( I went into the kitchen and rubbed my finger on a little of the sauce and ricotta and tasted it---yes it was yummy---but they noticed I was gone and called out to me--I was busted, index finger in mouth!! They scolded me and I made a little sad/silly face at getting caught....

It didn't feel so good later though and I'm slowly learning that there's a reason I'm not supposed to eat food right now. Our stomachs have been cut away, then stapled, sewn and glued up--and they need to slowly heal before any food can go thru. It must be so traumatic for the body and here I am expecting normal food, or at least a fingerful to feel fine.

Today I'm trying to visualize my ravaged stomach and think abut what will be most soothing and helpful for healing. I'm trying to look at my new sleeve as a friend and I eant to help my new friend heal the best way possible.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time =(

I haven't been having much hunger, but it seems like it can vary a bit. Maybe eat in a separate room from him for a few days? That's gotta be tough, whether it's head hunger or actual hunger! You are strong and can resist! Maybe make sure that if he is eating around you that you both are eating at the same time?

I am

Over three months out and i still struggle with head hunger every day... Sometimes I feel

Hungry in my stomach... Only to go eat something and be only able to eat a bite... That's how I know it's head hunger. It is such a long learning process... I still make mistakes and make stupid decisions... Just gotta keep learning from them.

I was thinking that it may be hard to be around family at dinner so I'm planning on going for walk or to the gym while they are eating to help control the head hunger. it would have been a lot harder if my kids were little and while my family doesn't do any of the cooking (which I may change too) I am going to try and avoid the head hunger/cravings while others are eating.

yes, I think I should take the dogs for a walk when he's eating. Great idea

This is not hunger. This is head hunger. Your body is not hungry, you only think it is and want it. It is all a mental thing that takes some time to get over. But you need to acknowledge it now as you not really being hungry or else you will start to confuse the two and eat when you don't need to.

It is tough but it can be overcome.

That's a very good response!