Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Diet Coke, How I've Missed Thee...

So how did you soda addicts shake the addiction? Did you curtail or stop before surgery, or simply lose the taste for it after surgery? This is my opportunity to change the way I eat, think about food and entertain a healthier lifestyle. i certainly have no intention in undoing this opportunity by slipping back into old habits by eating cake or drinking soda. I am the first to admit, as an RN for 33 years (my weight issue for the last 15 of them) that I don't practice what I preach, and realize the do as I say, not as I do tactic is getting harder to convince patients. Luckily, I have a good rapport with my Vets (i work for the VA doing home care on disable and infirmed vets)

I stopped several weeks before surgery because I didn't want to deal with caffeine withdrawals while dealing with healing from the surgery. I started whitening my teeth so that I wouldn't be tempted to go back to them. I feel a million times better without all those nasty chemicals coursing through my body so I have zero desire to drink one again.

LT1002

This thread didn't get nasty till your second post. Responses on this site are for the most part clearly intended to help others avoid problems. Sometimes a post can be right to the point and a little tough to hear. Your response to well intended advice, which you labled as criticism was way over the top. In all your courses while pursuing a law degree I guess you missed some basic life lessons about courtesy, and manners. You are posting on a weightloss support site, not fighting your opponent in court. Anyway enjoy your diet coke.

I had a root beer float the other day.. no problems with carbination or anything. I dont think pop occasionally will hurt.. all things in moderation. :)

I so miss my Diet Coke - some people smoke, some people do drugs, drink alcohol - I do none of that, I just like my Diet Coke.

I am four days away from my surgery, and I gave up Diet Coke on Sunday. So far no problem, but I have been slowly weaning myself from caffeine with increasingly diluting ice tea with decaffeinated tea. I think tomorrow will be my last day for any caffeine... wish me luck!

For me, this process is as much about beating addictions as it is about losing weight - obviously these go hand in hand for many of us.

If flat DC floats your boat and makes you happy then right on. We all have our preferences and methods that work for us. Sounds like your doc is farily lenient about pre and post op recommendations, as you commented on a different thread in response to my own regarding liver shrinking protocol. Many however are not - I think my own surgeon falls squarely in the middle and the stance is no carbonation, period.

Diet coke is one of those substances I consider a gateway drug for myself and my husband. Next thing I want hamburger Buns and french fries and tartar sauce and then onto the fried foods lol - bad spiral.

LT1002 - text carries no inflection by the way - and if one is reactionary it tends to say more about the 'reactor' than the originator. If someone doesnt agree with you, oh well, get over it.

Wow...I sure hope that you did not take my previous post as being judgmental or critical. Obviously we're all here for the same reasons. However, after reading all this my reasons may now include humor. I mean really...people have various ways of being supportive whether its telling what didn't work for them or what their MD or NUT or whoever has instructed them since there are sooo many opinions of whats right and true. I would never post something unless I was told my my healthcare team and would never cut someone down. Furthermore, I am a professional as well and do not see where that matters at all.

I don’t know about any other uk person but we seem to be told different things for pre and post op diets.

Like for instance your all over the Protein Shakes pre op we are told no such thing its 3 choices milk, Meal Replacement or food and right up till the night before you are told you can drink zero/diet soda.

Then after you are told you can drink zero/diet soda as long as its gone flat.

Me I was a cherry coke lover but I was also scared of becoming diabetic so I would curb my coke habit with zero.

2 weeks after my op when my mouth and taste buds were in full on rigamorties and dead I took a sip of zero swilled it in my mouth and felt that sucker come alive with sensation and taste!

Since then I have had maybe ¼ of a can of flat cherry coke not even in one go I took a sip or 2 every night from a can in the fridge for 3 nights then tossed it out.

I wish I could sit and drink my cherry coke over ice right now I am having a hard time drinking and its hot but it I am not.

I get the carbonation thing is bad, but really I am new to this forum too I have seen people post they are eating cake and ice cream 9 days out all kinds of bad crap as far as being bad after the op goes a little diet flat coke isn’t so bad imo and no mine wasn’t diet I went full fat cherry!

Just saying personally some people can jump on you it’s a learning curve to change habits of a lifetime people do silly things op was a bit rude too but people are told different things and don’t need to be jumped all over for speaking on the subject.

Oh I'm also an astronaut ballerina with a PhD from the local clown college and when I smoke crack I always let it sit out for awhile and then mix it with egg whites. More Protein less carbs! Dammit I adore these threads.

Haha!!

I don't get the big deal about drinking flat diet coke in moderation. If that is the worst thing he has to worry about post op, then I'm sure he's going to be fine. Most surgeons say it's fine to drink flat diet coke. Sure, there are chemicals but there are chemicals in a LOT of things. If you can avoid all of them, then more power to you. One of my favorite sleevers in the world is 4 years post op and drinks flat pop a few times a week and has maintained her weight beautifully. She also eats very well so I'm sure that is the major success. As long as LT conquers his food demons, a little flat diet coke is definitely not going to really hurt anything. The carbonation is the main problem with stretching the sleeve. As long as it's flat and in moderation-imho--no harm no foul.

I'm sorry, but I'm with LT on this, and I've noticed it is usually the same damn people who feel they are entitled to comment and be rude as if they are are the all knowing sleeve gods. LT has every right to say something back to these people who feel it necessary to scold anyone who does something they deem "bad" like a child.

I posted something a while back and had one of the same people talk to me like I was an idiot and yes, it did get to me. Even if it shouldn't have, because I thought the point of this forum was supposed to be about support. Support is not running your mouth and acting like you are so much better because you have never done anything wrong when it comes to your sleeve.

To whoever said it looks bad that LT said anything back, you're insane. Personally I would stand up for myself too. It's getting old people, if you don't agree with what someone has done it's ok to express genuine concern, but stop being so judgemental. We have all been in the same position, we are all trying to make our lives better and share our experiences.

Just my opinion

Deep breaths guys =) we all just want each other to be healthy and okay through this healing time. No point in arguing down each other or trying defensive.

That being said, I miss my diet coke too =p but I'm enjoying my little ice chips at the moment. I love plain Water too though, so I don't think it'll be quite as difficult for me. I know that I have had a lot of friends quit soda and they always enjoyed replacing it with things like crystal light.

Sweet rear!!

I am a caffeine LOVER.

I was drinking coke zero. I am in my 6 month medically supervised diet. About 45 days ago I cut out coke zero. I also went from six shots of espresso daily to two shots.

I want to conquer the caffeine before surgery. Most days two shots of espresso is good. On hard/stressful days I grind Beans and turn on the espresso machine. Agh....

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and maybe this is my reason for being addicted to caffeine. I often feel like functioning without caffeine is impossible.

I hope to have a healthy relationship with espresso one day. Thank you for sharing your story!!! It sounds like I am not alone with this struggle.

Maybe some of my love for espresso is cultural? After dinner we always prime the espresso machine, especially if company is over.

Wishing you all wellness!!

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

OH EMM GEE.... I can't believe this !! Being in a support group doesn't mean being agreeable to everything someone says... It wouldn't be right for a group member to sit here and watch LT sabotage if we can help it- getting this weight off is hard, but it's the common denominator- we are all in this together !! Am I my brothers keeper ??? Yes I am!! And that means sometimes I'm gonna tell him something he does not want to hear- take it a grain of salt and keep kickin- of you don't agree, well agree to disagree. There is no need to insult one another - I'm

Disapponited.

You should buy one of those make your own soda things out of regular Water. It permits you to determine how much fiz you want. Just be careful, we all have our vices, but I was told soda stretches the stomach. However I also know if having your little bit of soda makes this process easier than maybe you do a bit more excerise. We all have to be able to live comfortably once the healing process is done.