Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Diet Coke, How I've Missed Thee...

I haven't posted on this thread, but it sure is entertaining to read....

I have not had surgery; therefore can not comment. I would like to be able to say I will NEVER EVER again, but that would be jixing myself. I would not call my self a diet soda addict, but I do enjoy my occasional coke zero and it is really good with hennessey.

So if you see my name down as reading this topic, it is because you guys are entertaining.

Not everyone is such a slave to the slippery slope. Since my wife got pregnant' date=' she's been off diet soda and has been drinking the full-sugared stuff. We have virtually every flavor of soda in our refrigerator, but I have zero interest. I had my Diet Coke the other day, it filled my need, and that was that.

The all or nothing mentality doesn't work for everyone, and the comparison to heroin is silly - no one ever died from a Diet Coke overdose.[/quote']

Woo congrats on the pregnancy. :) your getting a double new life.. the sleeve and a baby. That's wonderful and exciting.

The all or nothing mentality doesn't work for everyone' date=' and the comparison to heroin is silly - no one ever died from a Diet Coke overdose.[/quote']

Don't be so sure. A local woman died recently, age 30, from a heart attack. She drank 2 gallons a day. And that was from the less toxic full sugar stuff.

http://health.heraldtribune.com/2012/04/24/woman-who-drank-2-gallons-of-coke-a-day-dies/

Sent from my iPad using VST

I agree with you that the "all or nothing" mentality doesn't work for everyone. But neither does the "all things in moderation" mentality. If we could do things in moderation then (quite possibly) we wouldn't be here. Isn't that what the "you don't need surgery, just diet and exercise" crowd think?

And all I was saying was that could be a possible reason why doctors give such rules. They may feel the need to "idiot proof" things. I see it all the time. It seldom works, but I see the effort being made.

I frankly don't care that you drank a diet coke, only that you got so bent out of shape when several people told you they didn't agree with your decision to drink it. If you have read this forum for any length of time you should know that most people here have been told to give up the sodas.

Don't be so sure. A local woman died recently' date=' age 30, from a heart attack. She drank 2 gallons a day. And that was from the less toxic full sugar stuff.

http://health.heraldtribune.com/2012/04/24/woman-who-drank-2-gallons-of-coke-a-day-dies/

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Okay, that's just insane! I'm amazed she didn't explode from the carbonation. Reminds me of the scene from Willy Wonka where Charlie and Grandpa Joe drink the fizzy stuff and start floating up to the ceiling. :)

I frankly don't care that you drank a diet coke' date=' only that you got so bent out of shape when several people told you they didn't agree with your decision to drink it. If you have read this forum for any length of time you should know that most people here have been told to give up the sodas.

[/quote']

I apologize for getting so bent out of shape, but it really felt like I was being ganged up on. When you feel like crap already, dealing with hyper judgy criticism just puts you over the edge.

Each person is going to attack this diet differently, but in the end, the only people you need to listen to are your doctors, nutritionists and yourself.

I apologize for getting so bent out of shape' date=' but it really felt like I was being ganged up on. When you feel like crap already, dealing with hyper judgy criticism just puts you over the edge.

Each person is going to attack this diet differently, but in the end, the only people you need to listen to are your doctors, nutritionists and yourself.

[/quote']

Look, as started before you simply wanted to just let people know how you felt not once did you ask for advice or judgmental opinions. There is a ton of know it alls on this forum. I've experienced them first hand. You know what you are and aren't suppose to do if you choose to do differently that's your choice and you shouldn't apologize for defending yourself :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

Look' date=' as started before you simply wanted to just let people know how you felt not once did you ask for advice or judgmental opinions. There is a ton of know it alls on this forum. I've experienced them first hand. You know what you are and aren't suppose to do if you choose to do differently that's your choice and you shouldn't apologize for defending yourself :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST[/quote']

If the know-it-alls went away there wouldn't be anybody here but the know-nothing's.

If the know-it-alls went away there wouldn't be anybody here but the know-nothing's.

You can be knowledgeable and give great advice. my point is there are people who think they know it all and think they have room to be rude cuz someones not on their recovery path. I love getting advice from most people on here and I really love this forum. But those very few people who feel like every one should be doing what they are doing and when they don't they scold them. the last I noticed is not a single nut or surgeon have had their patients on the same exact recovery. I don't claim to know it all and I don't claim to be perfect...I eat and drink things I shouldn't very rarely but I still do it and my weightloss has been great. As I've said in other posts...be respectful and informative not judgmental and rude!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

I drink a big red and dr pepper everyday!! Can't drink the whole 12oz but I try!. Have never had problems and still losing!! :) Enjoy and do you!!

My two main vices! I felt a chill go down my back when I read this. It's like crack, that's why I'm afraid to take a sip. One will never be enough for me, that's why I'm diabetic, but oh the memories of a Dr. Pepper (in the can) on the way to work, and a Big Red (in the bottle) during my lunch. Yummmmmm. (As I take a sip of my G2 fruit Punch)

In addition to other items, my surgeon has very strict rules about soda consumption and smoking. I was addicted to both as a major coke addict (several a day) and smoker (1/4 - 1/2 pack a day). Never thought I'd be able to stop either but was doubly worried about the soda. I stopped coke, cold turkey, 2 months prior to surgery and the cigs 1 1/2 month. I did this because my surgeon will not knowingly operate on people that still drink soda and/or smoke. Those are his rules and I respect them.

People I have spoken to state that he has very strict pre and post op rules and they are correct but maybe this is how he keeps his complication rates low. I've no idea but I chose him to be my surgeon and feel like it is my duty to follow his rules. There are many WLS docs in my city and if I did not want to tow the line, I could have selected someone else.

Do I still crave two of my biggest vices? Hell yes, almost daily but I am trying to make positive health changes for the future. I went so far as to mutilate my stomach in an effort to lose weight so at least I can do all to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Just my .02

I haven't posted anything yet' date=',so please don't yell at me but your photo,,looks like side burns so I personally thought you were a dude,,my bad.[/quote']

OMG me toooo!

I have stayed away from carbonation completely since my surgery on April 19th. I was addicted to diet carbonated drinks of just about every kind. I was scared that I would stretch my sleeve with the carbonation, so I stopped drinking them. I do crave them once in a while, but I know I'm better off without ever going back to them.... plus I'm saving money just ordering Water at restaurants!