Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There Anything That You Wish You Knew Pre-Op?

One thing I've noticed four months after surgery is that there are a lot of issues associated with the sleeve that the doctors didn't discuss or were "glossed over" by them in their seminars and "education" classes. From what I've gone through and what I've read post-op I truly wonder if I would've had this surgery if I had known about it before hand. Yes, I've lost a decent amount of weight but there are many times I wonder if it was worth it going through all of this suffering since the surgery. I was a relatively happen person before the surgery but now I'm being described as a "shell" of my "former self" and many people are commenting that I haven't looked well.

Are there any issues that you've experienced post-op that would've changed your mind if you had known about them in advance?

In my case I can think of a few:

• Depression - I know this was never mentioned by my doctor and I've seen many people comment about this on the forums. For me personally I was diagnosed many years ago with severe clinical depression. It was under control with medications prior to the surgery. However, afterwards my depression got so severe that even my psychiatrist was concerned. I dropped off a medication I had been on for about six years (as it worked well) to see if something would pull me back out from it. I think this alone would have stopped me from having the surgery because I was always under the mantra of I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable. And just to put this in perspective, this isn't the run of the mill "sads." I'm having a major depressive episode which is never, ever fun.
  • Gastric Issues - I realize that our stomachs are new and temperamental. However, I was told by the surgeon and the nutritionist that after eight weeks I should be able to eat food without any real issues. Now don't get me wrong. I follow the rules like everybody else. I'm not trying to down a Big Mac. However, I haven't been able to tolerate most solid foods for close to two months now. Even taking small bites, chewing well, etc. doesn't help matters. I'm basically living off of soft/mushy foods and to be honest I'm getting sick of it. While we're trying to figure out what's causing that, I did find out that I'm suffering from very bad reflux, something I didn't have before the surgery.
  • Blood Clots - There is a reason why you have to take those gods-awful shots. They are a real concern and they DO happen. I know. And don't trust anybody who tells you that your clot is "small" and "nothing to be concerned about" even though it was over 18 inches long, running from your ankle to mid-knee. I guess that person has never had a pulmonary embolism. Oh and clots don't go away over night.
  • "Cut and Run" Doctors - I guess this should be an old adage to some as many surgeons across all fields just care about the surgery itself and nothing else. However, I learned that just because a doctor or a group claims they will provide good post-op care doesn't mean that they'll actually do it. Heck, the reason I chose my surgeon, besides his credentials, was the fact that they pushed how great their post-op care was. Also, don't ever choose a surgeon who is only in the office one day a week because if something is really wrong, you'll have to wait the week to see him/her. Oh yes, they have colleagues but they "frown upon" seeing another doctor even in their own group.

Is there anything you wish you knew (e.g., gallbladder issues, loose skin/rashes, etc) in advance? Would any of that have changed your mind?

P.S. I know I sound angry as I am. I don't want to discourage people from having this surgery if they really want/need it. However, I'm a big believer that you should really know what you're getting yourself into so you can make a completely informed decision. I know right now that I would not have gone through with this surgery knowing what I know now.

I wish I would have known more about the post op diet BEFORE i had the surgery.

I too am glad I had the heparin shots following surgery to discourage clots. They are a good thing.

The one thing I wish I had known prior to surgery is about a tummy band or binder post surgery. It would have made my belly button incisions (I had five incisions total) much more comfortable. I found Walgreens sells them for about $30. I would have bought one. They are only a certain circumference so maybe wouldn't fit all, but I would have liked one. I understand from another discussion on the boards here that you can obtain them through a medical equipment service as well, and perhaps at less cost.

One thing I've noticed four months after surgery is that there are a lot of issues associated with the sleeve that the doctors didn't discuss or were "glossed over" by them in their seminars and "education" classes. From what I've gone through and what I've read post-op I truly wonder if I would've had this surgery if I had known about it before hand. Yes, I've lost a decent amount of weight but there are many times I wonder if it was worth it going through all of this suffering since the surgery. I was a relatively happen person before the surgery but now I'm being described as a "shell" of my "former self" and many people are commenting that I haven't looked well.

Are there any issues that you've experienced post-op that would've changed your mind if you had known about them in advance?

• Depression - I know this was never mentioned by my doctor and I've seen many people comment about this on the forums. For me personally I was diagnosed many years ago with severe clinical depression. It was under control with medications prior to the surgery. However, afterwards my depression got so severe that even my psychiatrist was concerned. I dropped off a medication I had been on for about six years (as it worked well) to see if something would pull me back out from it. I think this alone would have stopped me from having the surgery because I was always under the mantra of I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable. And just to put this in perspective, this isn't the run of the mill "sads." I'm having a major depressive episode which is never, ever fun.
  • Gastric Issues - I realize that our stomachs are new and temperamental. However, I was told by the surgeon and the nutritionist that after eight weeks I should be able to eat food without any real issues. Now don't get me wrong. I follow the rules like everybody else. I'm not trying to down a Big Mac. However, I haven't been able to tolerate most solid foods for close to two months now. Even taking small bites, chewing well, etc. doesn't help matters. I'm basically living off of soft/mushy foods and to be honest I'm getting sick of it. While we're trying to figure out what's causing that, I did find out that I'm suffering from very bad reflux, something I didn't have before the surgery.
  • Blood Clots - There is a reason why you have to take those gods-awful shots. They are a real concern and they DO happen. I know. And don't trust anybody who tells you that your clot is "small" and "nothing to be concerned about" even though it was over 18 inches long, running from your ankle to mid-knee. I guess that person has never had a pulmonary embolism. Oh and clots don't go away over night.
  • "Cut and Run" Doctors - I guess this should be an old adage to some as many surgeons across all fields just care about the surgery itself and nothing else. However, I learned that just because a doctor or a group claims they will provide good post-op care doesn't mean that they'll actually do it. Heck, the reason I chose my surgeon, besides his credentials, was the fact that they pushed how great their post-op care was. Also, don't ever choose a surgeon who is only in the office one day a week because if something is really wrong, you'll have to wait the week to see him/her. Oh yes, they have colleagues but they "frown upon" seeing another doctor even in their own group.

Is there anything you wish you knew (e.g., gallbladder issues, loose skin/rashes, etc) in advance? Would any of that have changed your mind?

P.S. I know I sound angry as I am. I don't want to discourage people from having this surgery if they really want/need it. However, I'm a big believer that you should really know what you're getting yourself into so you can make a completely informed decision. I know right now that I would not have gone through with this surgery knowing what I know now.

NOpe. Nothing. I spent about 2 months totally obsessing over every detail of this surgery, and probably read 2 years worth of posts on this website alone....there were virtually no surprises, and I've not had one complication or even unhappy moment over it. I haven't even thrown up since the hospital. Lord willing, that is how it will keep going.

My surgeon has been dead honest with me, and told me about everything you've mentioned

Like Dooter, I'm also a Dr. Kim patient. I've only been sleeved two and a half weeks but things have gone great! I read about the binder and think it would have been helpful but I didn't get around to securing one. I'm moving slowly from solid liquids to purees with no vomiting or diarherra. Just a little gassy when I eat too fast. :( I tolerated Water well from the start and I've built back up to walking 4 miles four times a week. I was on an anti-depressant before the surgery and so far it's holding the fort. There are definitely a wide range of experiences for this surgery!

Thank you for posting your experience. I am pre-op & want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. I too have clinical depression. It is well controlled at this time, but I'm nervous about afterward.

Wishing you the best in the rest of your journey!

I am so sorry that you were not prepared as well as ,you should have been. I am 7 mos out-and I have never been happier. My dr required a pre-op psych exam- and I was asked verbally & in writing about depression . I have not had any gastric issues but I have always followed my dr guidelines and he uses a size 40 bougie. My dr required a pre-op high Protein low carb diet, and he told me flat out he would not do the surgery unless I lost some weight and showed commitment. My preop diet was over 5 mos- so I had plenty of time to decide if I wanted the sleeve done or not. My Dr is only in the local office 1 day/wk but he has office hours at another location and he returns phone calls. His office staff is also very responsive, but ultimately, YOU must do this journey yourself. So I think a person NEEDS to understand that you must change your lifestyle.

My surprise was the way some family members and co-workers treat me. Many think they need to be on a diet and many feel very threatened- like I am making them "look bad", instead of understanding and accepting the fact that I am getting healthy for ME. I am also surprised that I feel so at peace with food now- I now find pleasure in many activities that I dreaded when I was MO and I am having a lot more fun now. ( I think it is a much bigger adjustment if you have never been thin- then I think you need extra professional support). You can't unring a bell- but you should get professional support if you are struggling post-op.

I guess i was so sick and tired of how I felt I was willing to take a leap of faith. I've been extremely optimistic now, where my whole life I've been afraid and looking up symptoms, taking my temp. every few minutes when concerned I'm sick and imagining blood clots.

I had complete faith in the reviews and reputation of my surgeon, believed I have angels watching over me and in general feel that I am destined for better than what I was living.

That does not mean others who get complications don't have that mindset at all.

But, for me, attitude was and is everything right now. I refuse to live in what I can't have, or how I get those weird sensations (I think "great I'm healing" when I feel them). I got my funky compression socks on, hubby gave me my lovenox shot this morning which I didn't even feel. Some days it feels like a shot and some days I literally wonder if he did it. Then I get that little burn and know it happened. I have a completely bruised up stomach and I'm happy!

You can't turn back. You are going to be heathy and more beautiful and have more energy. I may get depressed later but in my 9th day after surgery I'm so grateful to turn back time in essence. My face is looking like it did 10 years ago already.

I hesitated to have such a positive post because I understand depression, people not understanding, or being condescending but I want you to remember most say it gets better, they don't regret it and EVENTUALLY they get to eat what they like even though it's in small quantities.

I wish you peace of mind and will put that out for you. After doing something like this you deserve to be happy and feel better. All my best!!

I sorry for all that is happening to you....however I do find that we as individuals do not take the time to manage our own health and welfare. We depend on the Dr.'s, and as much as we hate to admit this, they are human. Just like any sales man, their livelyhood depends on the number of surgerys perform. We as responsible adults must take the position of understanding their own health. This means research, speaking with other medical personell, double checking credentials and using all amenities available to you. We can not lay blame on what we have control of....I wish you luck and better recovery and I hope you find true happiness in the decision you have made for yourself.

I had over 1 1/2 years to prepare for surgery. the last few weeks I went all in and started cleaning out my food pantry, changing dishes and getting new sleeve friendly recipes. since coming home from the hospital I have only vomited once (took my Vitamin on an empty stomach). There have been a few times that I have been in a stall and I change my diet up some and within 2-3 weeks the weight starts coming off again. I have increased my exercise and have never felt better. My main concern was leakage and sincce that didn't happen I say this was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. In my head I still miss food.... but it is not worth it

I wish I had found this forum before making the decision to have surgery!

My doctor's office gives everyone a booklet that gives all the info you need for the procedures they do (band, rny, sleeve, switch), including the diets. I had my band done there so I was familiar with the practice. When I looked at the post-op diet, I thought, "hey, I can do that!" Then, in the hospital, I got a different post-op diet.

Called the NUT about it and she said she just realized it a couple of weeks ago and they haven't reprinted the books yet. Seriously????

I feel like suing for neglegent infliction of emotional distress (I'm a lawyer...). Or maybe just force-feeding her Protein shakes and mush.

I sorry for all that is happening to you....however I do find that we as individuals do not take the time to manage our own health and welfare. We depend on the Dr.'s' date=' and as much as we hate to admit this, they are human. Just like any sales man, their livelyhood depends on the number of surgerys perform. We as responsible adults must take the position of understanding their own health. This means research, speaking with other medical personell, double checking credentials and using all amenities available to you. We can not lay blame on what we have control of....I wish you luck and better recovery and I hope you find true happiness in the decision you have made for yourself.[/quote']

I don't agree with that at all, dr's should be nothing like sales men, they hold people's lives in their hands and shouldn't be hearding people through like cattle! I do agree that we do have to take responsibility for our health to, but dr's get paid the big bucks and go through all that schooling so we can trust in them. From what the op said, she did check him out and they didn't live up to expectations or what they even said they'd do. Not every surgery will be a happily every after... Thats the only thing that gets on my nerves about this site is that if people come on here, like this lady, it's like people try to make it sound like it must have been something they did... Not the case here I don't think. I'm sorry for your experience, op, and I wish these kinda things didn't happen but they do. You even stated you weren't trying to discourage anyone from it who really needs it or wants it. I think there are people who do really need this surgery to save their life, but I think that for every one of them there are about 5 that see it as an easy way/fast way to achieve weight loss.

I'm sorry about your troubles with the sleeve and about your depression related to it. I had depression that was fully treated before the surgery and it is still fully treated.

My experience has been completely different than yours. The education and materials provided by my doctor and his staff prepared me well, as did the posts on this site and my visits to a local bariatric surgery support group. Pre-op, surgery and recuperation held no surprises and I got through them very well. When I have a question about something, I look in the written materials my doctor and his staff gave me. If I have further questions, I look on this site and/or I ask them at the bariatric surgery support group. I have had no complications and, while part of that is luck and a good surgeon, another part is because of my adherence to the rules. Living with the sleeve productively and healthily requires hard work and dedication. I was fully prepared for that.

Perhaps if you start over, researching the sleeve and the rules for making it work, and commit yourself to following the rules, you will get a new start. Remind yourself of why you had the surgery in the first place. Fat and happy doesn't do much for the health problems you had or were facing.

Best of luck and I hope you keep us informed of your progress.