Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For VG 10 cc Bandsters ONLY

10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?

• 9 + cc
    • 8 + cc
    • 6 + cc
    • 4 + cc

Hi All,

I saw the Dr last Saturday, Ive now got 7.5mls in my 10ml band, at last I have a restriction!! I can eat a childs plate full of food, no problem, but anymore its uncomfortable. Its taken since April to get a restriction (long time) so we'll see what happens now :wacko: I am being good diet wise now, and im trying to do more exercise. Fingers crossed my restriction lasts!! :)

Sara x

This is wonderful Sara!!!!! Good luck keeping the restriction.

Gina:clap2:

I was banded with the 11 cc VG band 2 years ago, and I am now at about 6.5 cc. I am at a good space now, still have trouble when I forget to chew. I am very tight in the am and less in the evenings. I don't do bread well at all, so have pretty much stopped eating it.

I took a year off as I found out I had breast cancer, went through all the surgery, radiation and chemo. I gained about 20 lbs during that process, but have now since lost the 20 lbs I gained with a fill. I am doing well now with both of my problems. So I only feel as if I have truly had my band for a year not two.

I now it is hard when we don't loose as fast as we want but we are all differen't and we must have patience. Believe me I know how hard it is, but I am not giving up!!

Shelley

I got my second fill today and now I have 6 in my band. Looking at the poll it seems that this may be a good point of restriction. Im hoping so. Guess I really wont know for a couple of days since I have to do clear for 24 than full for 24 before going back to solids. I hope this is better than where I was with 4 because while eating dinner Sunday night I realized that if I wanted to I could have eaten a lot more than what I did. Thats a scary feeling.

I have 6.0 cc in my band now, and am trying to figure out what good restriction is. Last night I could eat whatever I wanted, and no fullness or slowing down. This morning, I ate 3 bites of soft scrambled eggs and was in pain for 3 hours. Maybe it's a matter of how much I'm willing to put up with. Is that pain what is considered "restriction" because it's staying in my pouch? If I chew well and eat slowly, it's still going to stay in my pouch, right...that's the idea isn't it?

This afternoon I slimed on yogurt. I pb'd the slime, and then ate the rest of the yogurt with no problem. I think it may have been Water I drank before I ate the yogurt caused an airpocket.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated....I mean GREATLY!!

Hello O2b, I have experienced the same problem. I have 6.2 cc's in my band and finally reached what I think is some restriction some of the time--mostly in the mornings. The rest of the time I can eat whatever whenever with no feeling of fullness. This has been going on since the end of May but I go back to the Dr. next week. I think I'm going to ask for a little more fill. I have felt the same pain as you but only as a result of eating too quickly or not chewing thoroughly enough. I was banded last November and we've been fooling around with restriction ever since. I think it's time to kick a little butt and get a handle on good restriction. I have to admit the weight loss has been good--94 pounds, 50 of that before the surgery--but I've a long way to go. I feel like it could have been lots better had the restriction been right. Good luck to you!!

Susan

I am with you all on the fill questions....not sure what to eat when. Mornings I have much greater restrictions, loosens as the day goes along. I too have had the "stuck" thing going on. I decided not to allow myself another fill until I get the 'chew slow and little bits' thing down. I have to learn to respect my band and change my habits, which is so difficult for me. I have always eaten (gobbled) very quickly! I had 5 cc on the first fill and another 1.8 on the second. I have lost 73 since Jan 29th. It's getting close to time for another fill, it's been two weeks since anything was stuck and I decided when I can go a month, I will get another fill. I am down to about one pound loss per week, which I am greatful, but would like to double that. I too can eat about anything, not as much as I used to, but still more than I need.

I'm really glad I read your posts because I have had one fill so far (2 cc) and have no restriction. After an intial weight loss, I haven't lost anything. I'm fighting every day not to overeat so at least I don't gain. I thought there was something wrong with either me or the band. Now I know that others have a problem with the VG. Obviously, I'll need more fills. I'm annoyed that neither my doctor nor the nurse practitioner (who does the fills) told me why the VG band was used and that it would require a lot of adjustments to get restriction. Since the nurse is only in my area about once a month, it's going to take a long time for me to get a good adjustment (the sweet spot) unless I can travel to her, which will be a pain in the butt.

My fill dr said that with the VG band that we will reach the same place as the smaller one, it's just a bigger band for those of us who had a larger stomach. The first time I said fill er up. He said the average fill is 4 times for this band. He only has one patient with an 8.2 and the rest are below that. So that leaves me hopeful since I am at 6.8 already. I don't think I lost anything last week, which has happened off and on, but I am ready for another 20 to be off.

I'm really glad I read your posts because I have had one fill so far (2 cc) and have no restriction. After an intial weight loss, I haven't lost anything. I'm fighting every day not to overeat so at least I don't gain. I thought there was something wrong with either me or the band. Now I know that others have a problem with the VG. Obviously, I'll need more fills. I'm annoyed that neither my doctor nor the nurse practitioner (who does the fills) told me why the VG band was used and that it would require a lot of adjustments to get restriction. Since the nurse is only in my area about once a month, it's going to take a long time for me to get a good adjustment (the sweet spot) unless I can travel to her, which will be a pain in the butt.

I have had 5 fills to get to my current 7cc's, and it has only been with this last fill that I finally got enough restriction to feel like I have a band. I am getting another fill next week and will probably just get .5cc. My doctor says that most people hit their "sweet spot" between 6cc to 8cc so most of us are doing what is expected. I think those of us having the VG band have less problems with PBs, because we go slower with restriction and have more time to adjust our eating habits. Most people I know with the smaller band have been dealing with vomiting and other issues almost since their surgery. I know it can get frustrating to go so slowly with weight loss and restriction, but hopefully in the long run this way will be better. :girl_hug:

Hey All,

I now have 10.2 CC in my band. Doctor told me yesterday at my 3rd fill, after he filled me completely (and I started 'backing up' with barium) - that I am just 'one of those people' who don't get the full sensation. Oh great.

Today, I'm sure I'm swollen. I'm getting down about 1/4 cup of egg salad; and stayed full on that for about 4 hours.

I have had 5 fills to get to my current 7cc's, and it has only been with this last fill that I finally got enough restriction to feel like I have a band. I am getting another fill next week and will probably just get .5cc. My doctor says that most people hit their "sweet spot" between 6cc to 8cc so most of us are doing what is expected. I think those of us having the VG band have less problems with PBs, because we go slower with restriction and have more time to adjust our eating habits. Most people I know with the smaller band have been dealing with vomiting and other issues almost since their surgery. I know it can get frustrating to go so slowly with weight loss and restriction, but hopefully in the long run this way will be better. :)

Thanks for your post. It has put things into perspective for me and I'm going to be more patient with the process.

Thanks for your post. It has put things into perspective for me and I'm going to be more patient with the process.

You're welcome, Ilene. This thread has helped me alot with my banding process and I am so glad we are all posting our experiences here. Good luck with yours! ;)

Hello, I too have the 10cc band. I had my first fill on July 31, 5cc. I did not have an easy fill, my port was tilted and being a big baby, I got dizzy. I feel when she pulled the needle out some may have come out? But I do have some fullness feeling and there are some foods I can't eat.

I really think i will only need one more fill. I don't want to get to tight, but want to see the weight loss numbers increase. It seems some docs fill little amounts, and you ahve 6-7 fills before you get to the spot. I think my doc is more agressive. Not sure what is best.With my weak nerves, less fills is better for me.

I have a fill appt. on Tuesday. I was on vacation for 10 days, so at my appt. before I left, they said NO to the fill until I came back. So, as a result I gained 3 lbs!! Well, can't blame it on the band, but my BAD choices..