Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For VG 10 cc Bandsters ONLY

10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?

• 9 + cc
    • 8 + cc
    • 6 + cc
    • 4 + cc

Hello,

Before anyone directs me to another thread link, I already know this has been done before. I have researched old threads and can navigate this site well. I would like the most recent information pertaining to this subject please. :help:

I was banded in June in Mexico and had the 10 cc VG band done by Dr. Joya. Great surgery, no complications.

My problem now is that the only weight loss I had was in the first 3 weeks after surgery, none since then and I am gaining that weight loss back at an alarming rate.

My after care doctor in my town is Dr. Helmuth Billy. He is a great, competent Dr. My only concern is that I don't think he has treated many patients with this larger band and he is very conservative with fills. He wants to make sure there are no slips or errosion by doing agressive fills. Wonderful.

Unfortunately, I have had no restriction since the first few weeks of being banded. My research on the board show that those with this band need A LOT more in their fills to reach the sweet spot. I want to take as much data as possible supporting this to my next appointment with him (on Thursday). I need to get a good fill this time. I am in a very deep depression because of my weight issues after spending thousands of dollars on this procedure. I need a jump start to get me going again and give me a shot in the arm. I don't think I'll be able to take a nother small fill and wait another few months to get to a point where I feel any restricion.

I hope you help and support me as this is tearing my psyche apart. Thanks to all of you for your help.:eek:

I probably wont tell you anything that wasnt in other threads but can really only say I can sympathise. I have th VG band also and I have had about 10 fills to get to the spot I am at now. Before reaching 7.5 mls on my 7th fill I had no restriction either and was gaining weight. The lucky thing for me was my DR told me I coul come in each fortnight to get a fill until I reached a good spot. I just want to re iterate that until 7.5mls I had no restriction so dont feel down it will happen. There has been alot of talk over here amongst Drs about the VG and the long time it is taking to reach restriction with it.

My Dr put 2.5mls in my band at the time of surgery to help that, but once my swelling went down I had no restriction.

I would explain to your Dr that you would like to reach a point where you are not puttingon weight but losing it since this was weight loss surgery. You also have to consider the fact that with a larger fill 2mls or so that could easily put you too tight and you will experience the not being able to swallow your own saliva experience. I havent had that happen yet though.

Another idea is to have him fill your band and you drink Water and he removes it slowly until the water goes down fine.

Really just sit down and tell him basically what you posted in this post. Taking months and months to reach a spot where you are loing and not gaining really isnt acceptable in my opinion, but thats just me.

Good Luck and I really feel your frustration being someone who took 10.1ccs in the 10cc band to have good restriction.

Hugs

Dr. Cobourn in Canada did my VG band, he gave me my first fill 5 weeks post surgery at 4cc's, nada, one week later since I was still wide open he gave me another cc, still no restriction, so one week later I came back for .5 of a cc. Now I have some restriction at 5.5cc's - though I'm still pretty open in the evening. It's restriction enough though that I am satisfied for now, and losing. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

I probably wont tell you anything that wasnt in other threads but can really only say I can sympathise. I have th VG band also and I have had about 10 fills to get to the spot I am at now. Before reaching 7.5 mls on my 7th fill I had no restriction either and was gaining weight. The lucky thing for me was my DR told me I coul come in each fortnight to get a fill until I reached a good spot. I just want to re iterate that until 7.5mls I had no restriction so dont feel down it will happen. There has been alot of talk over here amongst Drs about the VG and the long time it is taking to reach restriction with it.

My Dr put 2.5mls in my band at the time of surgery to help that, but once my swelling went down I had no restriction.

I would explain to your Dr that you would like to reach a point where you are not puttingon weight but losing it since this was weight loss surgery. You also have to consider the fact that with a larger fill 2mls or so that could easily put you too tight and you will experience the not being able to swallow your own saliva experience. I havent had that happen yet though.

Another idea is to have him fill your band and you drink Water and he removes it slowly until the Water goes down fine.

Really just sit down and tell him basically what you posted in this post. Taking months and months to reach a spot where you are loing and not gaining really isnt acceptable in my opinion, but thats just me.

Good Luck and I really feel your frustration being someone who took 10.1ccs in the 10cc band to have good restriction.

Hugs

What does ml's = to in the US? What is a fortnight? Thanks!

I'm currently sporting a trendsetting 10cc VG band. I did have the same complaints. I lost weight at first, but then had no restriction (and I am taking A LOT of prednisone which makes you hungry and makes you gain weight). I have had 4 fills in 9 months and now at 8.6cc filled I have some minor restriction. I can still eat whatever I want, but I have the simple sensation of restriction but its not stopping me from eating.

I have lost 47 lbs, but I am weighing and logging every bite of food I eat. That is the only way you will lose while you are trying to get to the sweet spot in your band.

I have 9ccs in my VG band. I do have some restriction, but still have to watch what I eat. Sweets and the bad stuff go down easily, while I have difficulty with the good for me stuff. Weight loss has been slow and sometimes discerning and even disgusting. But at least the weight is coming off. I am back to my high school graduation weight. I still have a long way to go though. Best of luck to you.

I have a VG 11cc band and I can tell you I was filled @4.75 last visit to doc and definately had restriction! But I am not really eating what I should because of food getting stuck. I really ate good this A.M. though hamburger and cheese on top green Beans yogart strawberries. Never have I ate that much since my fill 2 weeks ago. I go for a fill every month and this is my 3rd fill. I was told this band is huge and not alot of people can tolarate it. I wonder if it is true. I have plans to go get another fill soon just because I am not losing any weight in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I can believe I am not losing weight for the very reason I haven't been able to eat much for the fact of either getting stuck or just plan feeling full.

Hmmm, really sounds like this VG band is a pain in the ass! Much more expensive for us to get to proper fill amount. I left a message this morning pre-warning my doctor that I would pay extra to have a fill under fluro and that I wanted a VERY agressive fill. I will accept the liability of this fill decision if he wants me too.

I have the 10cc also, my first fill at six weeks was 4cc's and it was enough for me, it seems to me everyone has a different level they need to reach before they have enough restriction.

Your idea of having your fill done under fluro is a good one, it may help you to accomplish the fill level that you are satisfied with.

Good luck

Maria:)

I was told today that I am getting the VG band (10cc) on Tuesday. It is the ONLY size band my surgeon uses, which surprised me. He said it is better and he has had no problems with it, it can be adjusted more than the smaller ones. I tried to explain what I had heard about the other size bands, but it is the only one he uses, so I have to go with it. My dr. has a very good reputation and I trust him, so I will just have to see how it goes. I will get a fill 4 - 5 weeks out and I am hoping he gives me an aggressive first fill, I forgot to ask him, but I believe someone else said he is pretty aggressive with the fills, maybe because he only uses the 10cc band. He said I should only need 3 fills in the first year. Too bad my insurance, Medicare, only pays for 1.

Go to:

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94800-12_LB_Product_Data_Sheet.pdf#search='vanguard%20lap%20band%20inamed'

This is the actual "book" that is given to surgeons to understand the differance between bands, procedure techniques, fill techniques, and anything you ever wanted to know about the VG and the Lap Band behind the scene. If this doesn't help, I will do a little more digging.

Good Luck!